Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Driver mirror position?

My motorhome has the front mirrors on arms, extending from below the lower windshield edges, pointing forward. The driver side mirror is a little hard to see. I have seen some motorhomes where that same mirror/arm, has been adjusted toward the back rather than forward. It looks like it positions the mirror next to the driver side window.

I am wondering if others have made this change, and share with me about advantages, and disadvantages please.

Looks to me that you would have to move your vision away from the road more, but might have better side vision for a car in the old blind spot. Any clearance issues (side or turning)

2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
I made the conversion on mine. You will get a wider view that way. It has never bothered me to glance sideways to see the mirror. It feels just like my car mirror.

Have a nice day - Darrel

2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
A mirror by the side window has two disadvantages. First, it takes your eyes off the road to check your mirror. Second, while backing up after dark, since the passenger and driver side windows are parallel, you can get so much reflection on your side window, it can be hard to tell what is in the mirror, and what is a reflection.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
If you have poor luck to run in heavy snow you will know why one mirror out the side and not thru the windshield covered in snow is a good idea. I could only see the drivers mirror for over a 100 miles coming out of Denver one September.

I glance in a circle thru front both mirrors and camera, then gauges front and do it over.

Oh I spent years teaching emergency veh operations and have had cdl for way too many years I am fussy. Just looking out the front will get you into trouble. Make sure you do not put mirror where you can not look for cars turning from your left.
Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
I moved mine last year to just outside the window. I can see so much more with the wider field of vision. I only wish it was possible to move the passenger side closer too but of course it isn't a possibility.
2000 40 foot Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Fairbanks Alaska
Akcontender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

Mine came with the mirror folded back... I couldn't see the front half of the coach in it...huge blind spot. Moved it around forward to match the curb side and can now see along both sides from just forward of the front wheels (I can see all the tires and what they may or may not be into) and no longer have to worry about a Mini or motorcycle being in that blind area that I used to have. I also am more cognizant of what is around me since I don't have to turn my head to look in the mirror. A simple scan with my eyes can see out the front, down both sides, and all of my gauges.

You won't see a lot of big rigs or commercial buses with the mirror folded back alongside the driver for that reason. The newer buses, commercial and some upscale school buses come with the huge roof mounted arms that place the mirrors well in front of the vehicle for that reason...better vision down the sides.

Even in the "old" days, cars had their mirrors mounted out on the front fenders for that reason, you get a better visual arc the further forward they are mounted. I had an Austin Healey with the mirrors mounted out just behind the headlights. It was marvelous, I could see down both sides of the car without taking my eyes off the road and no blind spots. They were a PIA to adjust...get out, move it a bit, get back in check, get back out move some more... That is why they were moved up by the Windows, people were too lazy and wouldn't adjust them.

What you see in a mirror is defined by a cone. The closer your eyes are to the mirror, the less you can actually see of those objects that fall outside that narrowing portion of the cone.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote