Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Driver Side Sun Shade

My 36' CC Inspire has a manual pull down driver side window shade to keep the low sun out of the driver's face. It is attached on the bottom of the upper cabinet and is a scissor shade with fabric in a roller. I heard it was made by Carefree of Colorado. My shade is entirely see through fabric that does little to cut the sun when it's really bright. I'm looking for options for a shade that has fabric, but also a strip of black out at the bottom to fully shade the sun in those situations. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Denny

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sun Shade

I went to the fabric store and bought a piece of burlap. Cut and hemmed a piece about 8" wide and sowed it to the back of the existing material. Works much better that before.

Tom

tompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wonder if that would be legal to block the view from the driver's side window?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wonder if that would be legal to block the view from the driver's side window?
Good question.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Legal or not, you'd have to wonder about the safety factor of blocking one's vision. I'd opt for a denser screen perhaps, but certainly not something that would block my vision.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Denny.....I had the same issue in my Monaco Diplomat. The screen was okay, but I got baked. Since my mirrors are viewed through the windshield, I would pull the curtain part way, but it moved around too much....so I bought this ...Retractable Auto Sun Shade

It's designed to use horizontally across the windshield as seen in their photo. I mounted it vertically to the driver's window frame. It comes with two mounts that have two sided tape. Once installed, you pull it down like an accordion. Once you let go, it will pop back up to the closed position. I added Velcro to the bottom of the shade and to the lower window frame to hold it down until I released it.

I only used the shade when freeway driving. Because I view my mirrors through the windshield, I could still see beside me with the shade down. Since it popped back up into the lock position if not held down, I could simply release if from the two Velcro tabs I installed at the bottom and it would quickly raise up.

It worked GREAT to cool me and the coach from the hot sun. My new coach came with MCD shades so I gave the shade to a friend with a Diplomat. He absolutely loves using it too!

I found a photo of the shade in use.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
Legal or not, you'd have to wonder about the safety factor of blocking one's vision. I'd opt for a denser screen perhaps, but certainly not something that would block my vision.
Thanks for all the great feedback. I like the pull down (vertical) shade since I can pull it down just enough to shield the sun, but not block the view out my large driver side window. As another post said, I view my mirror through the windshield, but also use my side window heavily for side traffic. I haven't pulled the shade down enough to block that view, but I'd like to have the option of a black out section when I do pull the shade down part way.

Denny
Old 03-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've seen what your looking for with the black out, but it was the top half, not the bottom half. And it was made by Carefree of Colorado.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

I've seen that as well, Dennis and Tricia. I don't like the opaque shade as it takes out a lot of detail I want/need out my side window. From my view point the shade installed in my coach and the one sold currently by carefree is built upside down with the black out portion at the top requiring you to pull the opaque section across your line of sight to get to the part that will really block out the sun. i'd like to find something that would allow me to pull the shade down and block out sun coming through the top of my window much like I do with my front electric shades, but not so far as to take out my line of vision through the side window and not have the opaque section in play at all. Does that sound crazy?

Denny
Old 03-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #10

Denny,
Look into the Carefree maxi smart visor. It might be exactly what your looking for. Pull it down where you need it and push it up when you don't. It has a friction lock to keep it in place. Good luck with your search
Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #11

I have wonder if a wider screen and by removing the bottom section a longer screen could be added. Mine is the same type of accordion shade. Solar shade is sold in 48" size at HD and Lowes.

Edited to add: I just checked out the Carefree maxi smart visor and it seems to be the same as my black out shades on the front. That would reduces too much side visibility for me.

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver