Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Driver Training Before Buying

My wife and I are planning to buy a 35 to 40 ft Class A late next year or early the following. We have never owned a motorhome of any size, although I have rented and driven 25 ft and 30 ft Cruise America Class Cs a few times. We'd like to take a driving course before test driving so that we're familiar with the basics at least and are better able to evaluate differences in handling, etc. We'd like to take a Class A driver training course in advance of purchase, or even narrowing down our choices. However, so far we're able to find only courses want to train you in the MH that you already own. Can anyone point us to a good course that can supply a Class A of this approximate size as part of the training?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lazy Days RV in Tampa has a one-day motorhome driver familiarization course. If you ask, you can attend even if you haven't bought an RV yet.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #3

We took the Lazy Days one day course and while it was helpful, it consisted of driving around the parking lot for a few minutes. Not what I would call driver training. There are people who rent out their motorhomes for camping trips, perhaps you might rent one for a day or two for your purpose.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #4

I'd prefer to take an independent course rather than at a dealership, where I'm going to get pressure to buy something before I'm ready.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post
I'd prefer to take an independent course rather than at a dealership, where I'm going to get pressure to buy something before I'm ready.
Camping World rents motorhomes including one Class A model. I think it is 32 foot. The rentals appear to be handled by a third party in connection with Camping World and they are not available at all Camping Worlds. Check this URL for information: Rental available from Moturis.com

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
Camping World rents motorhomes including one Class A model. I think it is 32 foot. The rentals appear to be handled by a third party in connection with Camping World and they are not available at all Camping Worlds. Check this URL for information: Rental available from Moturis.com

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll check it out. It may be a little on the short side though.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just took the course at Lazy Days this week. I didn't buy there but 2 of every 10 slots in class for non rv buyers. It is FREE! It is taught by a guy who has taught for 20 years and he's on TV too. Yes it is only a 2 hour class in the morning with a ride along and drive in the afternoon. It is worth it. I drove 200 miles to attend and glad I did. I have driven big vehicles (not a motorhome) for years and I learned a lot. They teach a system called "DOTS" and it is amazing how something so simple can take all the guess work out of maneuvering your motor home. There were a couple gals in the class who never drove one before and they went throughout the course without a problem. The course--yes it is the campground there, but you are driving around parked vehicles and moving ones. It teaches you what you need to know to make turns, back into a space from either direction, tight turns and curves. It is really worth it, even if passing through, take a break ad take the course. Call ahead and get a slot as they fill up especially during snowbird time. It's worth a discount on your insurance and if you still feel after that you need more learning time, then call up someone and give $00 to 600 bucks to spend a day or 2 with you. Driving down the highway is not the hard part--slow maneuvering and turns and backing is where the trouble creeps in and the damage can occur. Great movie on tire blow outs and what to do also.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have taken the Lazydays course twice and learned from it both times. They are very laid back and there is no sales pressure connected with the course as it is given in a whole different department separate from sales. I highly recommend it as a first step for EVO-Bob.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #9

Don & Marc - I saw the Lazydays training on a Youtube video. The DOTS system looked interesting and easy to learn. Based on your comments I'll have reconsider. Although I live in the northeast, so traveling to Florida for a 2 hr course will take some planning. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I have taken the Lazydays course twice and learned from it both times. They are very laid back and there is no sales pressure connected with the course as it is given in a whole different department separate from sales. I highly recommend it as a first step for EVO-Bob.
Do you need to have your own RV to take the class? I am thinking that it would be a good class to take before taking delivery of a new Class A. I will try to find the class video and check it out.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #11

i'm in the same position you are. One option is, with a bit of research, to rent a class A similar to what you think you will buy, at least as to length, suspension, and fuel, and then take it to the class.

Another option, maybe better but I'm not sure, is to call a local truck/bus training center near you and chat with them about your intensions. One of those locations near me offered recreational, professional, and tour operator training of between 80 to 96 hours.

That are also, for example, diesel mechanic and diesel suspension classes out there, as well as dvd courses on that and driving.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #12

No, you don't need to have or own a MH to take the Lazy Days course. Appeared several took it to see if a class A was right for them. And a couple that had ordered a new A & were waiting on delivery.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I can teach you....We are in Yuma AZ for the winter
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The classes 2 hours in a classroom during the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon riding and driving. No you don't need to have an RV, they use one from their sales lot. I drove up form Naples in my personal car. As I said earlier, I was surprised when we were taking a new DP for a test drive through the campground--not a parking lot with cones, but the actual campground with other real vehicles parked, trees, traffic etc. The instructor didn't even bat an eye--he was confident in what he had taught and after watching him drive the course first using the DOTS everyone was anxious to take their turn. Besides the class taught at Lazy Days (Florida) I believe they do the same at the Arizona location (although I don't know anything about there or their instructor) but we were told they take this class on the road to many RV rallys and shows. No matter how long you have been driving it is worth a day of your time, especially if you don't know the DOTS systems. Be safe out there.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver