Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
Wyoming required a CDL for this weight class
And that weight class would be......?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
And that weight class would be......?
“Z” authorizes the holder of a class C license under subsection (d) of this section to operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles which have a gross vehicle weight rating of thirty-nine thousand one (39,001) pounds or more.

This is effective July 2015 in Wyoming. Prior to that, they had the same weight requirement but it had to be satisfied with a CDL.

For me, coach is 36,650 (actual) and toad is 3,350, so 40,000 total. GVWR for coach is 44,600, so any way I look at it I need a Z endorsement.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:58 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Don't forget that there could be two issues.

One is the GVW - a lot of places (see I'm not saying everywhere) require a higher "class" license based on the weight of the vehicle, usually if over 24,000 or 26,000 lbs. In my case in Ontario I require a "D" class licence for my MH.

The other is usually an "endorsement", mainly for air brakes or other special equipment. Again I have a "Z" air brake endorsement on my license good for 5 years. A test is then required to renew it.

All states and provinces have what is basically a reciprocity agreement - if you are legal in your home state/province you are legal to drive in the others. That's for license issues.

HOWEVER - this does not include things like required supplementary braking, double towing, overall length, speed limits and a few other items which vary from place to place. Make sure your MH and toad comply with the rules in the states/provinces you are in/going through.

Overall we MH owners have it pretty good - be legal to drive at home, check state/province requirements, have insurance and away we go.

Chris

Most states (but not all) and Canada require supplemental braking on your toad. If you are driving in one of those states it is required even if it is not required in your home state. Think of it as the same as a speed limit, it applies where you are, not where you are from. Most states do not inspect for it, but will cite if you are stopped for some other reason (like an accident).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanso View Post
You are legal in all 50 states. In Florida RVs are exempt from weight requirements, states it on the back of your license. HI is the only state that requires a CDL, yes an actual CDL. DC residents must have a CDL as well. About 19 other states require a non- CDL endorsement based either on weight(over 26k) or length.
That does it, will not be driving the MH to Hawaii, cancelling that trip.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #19

Thumbs up

I spent a few hours at the California DMV and then a local CHP office today confirming what the real license requirements are for a 40' motorhome in CA.
The 4 DMV offices were of no help. The License office, Driver Safety office, DMV Investigation office and the regular DMV office. All came back with they weren't actually sure what the handbook meant. While at the Safety office a local SDPD officer heard my questions and suggested I stop by a local CHP office. That was then my next stop. I spent an hour with a awesome CHP officer that looked up each of my questions in the vehicle code book. (a very large book!)

Here is what we found out:
  • California Class C license is all that is needed up to 40' "housecar" in CA.
  • They are exempt from the Class C 26k weight restriction
  • They are exempt from any Air Brake certification.
  • No extra braking requirement for the Toad, unless from 20 MPH it takes more than 50' to stop.
  • Also, if the manufacturer calls it a 40' motorhome on the plate, then even if its 41', its still licensed as a 40' motorhome.

I hope this helps others in CA as it was a confusing mess from the CA docs and all the info showing it both ways on all the forums I looked at over the last few months. BTW. The CA DMV uses the term housecar, not motorhome. Go figure.. -Bill
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
What was insinuated but never said here is that if you are legal in your own state, regarding your license, then you are legal in any state that you drive in. However, you must have a valid drivers license for the vehicle you drive and license plates that match from the same state. If your state requires a license endorsement or special designation, then you must be compliant in your own state before you are legal in another.

Here is the kicker, you can drive in California legally without having a legal Class B licence in another state such as Nevada. That is because California doesn't require a Class B. You only need some valid drivers license. California cannot write you a ticket for violating a law (not getting your Class B) in Nevada. BUT, if you get into an accident in California and you are from NV, you will have to explain to your insurance company, which is probably domiciled in NV, as to the reason you didn't have a valid drivers license in NV. If the accident is your fault the lawyers will definitely find out that you were illegal in your own state and you might be liable for the whole accident. Your insurance company might not stand behind and protect you when they find out that you didn't comply with the laws. I believe specific language might even be in your policy. Here is a website that I found regarding State license of RVs. There is a reason why DP licenses are getting more strict. The safety of others is dependent upon you. And if your state doesn't require a special license, just wait, it will come. Regardless, you should at least study the CDL drivers license guide book in your state for your own saftey and the safety of your family. There was an accident just yesterday on I27 that could have turned out much worse than just a total vehicle loss. Thank God there was no loss of life.

https://www.fcrv.org/documents/legis-licenses-15.pdf
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Tivoli".....as usual, some of these threads run amuck. Simply put.....the license required by your state is good in every other state.

The only two things you need to worry about, in your situation, are your overall length. Each state has a maximum length. Here in California, its 65'. There are lists you can find online for state lengths. At 37', you shouldn't have an issue staying within the length requirements of other states.

The second thing, brakes on your trailer/toad if you're towing one. Some states require brakes. How they determine if you need brakes can be all over the place. Like California, requiring that you be able to stop your coach and toad within a certain distance, no matter the weight.

Some will argue what is considered a trailer, saying a towed vehicle is not a trailer, another hot mess on these forums.

Simply stated, if your coach can't stop reasonably well without brakes on the trailer/toad, you should install them. Many of us install them for the break away feature (stops the toad if it separates from the RV).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Be VERY careful of this summary, it is out of date. Although it appears to point to the state DMV website rules correctly, the conclusion/summary it lists for the state can be wrong because the underlying state rules changes and the document hasn't been updated. It may have been accurate at some point when created, but there are errors now.

Do your research with your state DMV, don't rely on somebody else's possibly incorrect conclusion. YOU are the one who will have the risk of a possible ticket, or insurance claim rejected because you weren't licensed correctly.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pennsylvania " Non-Commercial " CDL

PA has a non Comm CDL that resembles a CDL.

RV's with a Gvwr over 26,000 pounds will need a Class B license.

RV COMBINATIONS with a GVWR/GCWR over 26,000 pounds wherevthe trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds will need a Class A license.

Air brakes alone means nothing, vehicle weight is the rule. And there is no endorsement for air brakes , it is actually a restriction if you test in a non air brake vehicle or fail the air brake portion.

The license issued looks identical in every respect to a regular license it is just going to show a Class A or B. My CDL actually says COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE on it.

[Mod Edit]

Andy
Mcsap9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsap9213 View Post
PA has a non Comm CDL that resembles a CDL.

RV's with a Gvwr over 26,000 pounds will need a Class B license.

RV COMBINATIONS with a GVWR/GCWR over 26,000 pounds wherevthe trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds will need a Class A license.

Air brakes alone means nothing, vehicle weight is the rule. And there is no endorsement for air brakes , it is actually a restriction if you test in a non air brake vehicle or fail the air brake portion.

The license issued looks identical in every respect to a regular license it is just going to show a Class A or B. My CDL actually says COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE on it.

[Mod Edit]

Andy

NC is similar to PA, nice summary!
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
NC is similar to PA, nice summary!
I took the test this year and the inspector who administered the test was very nice. I studied the guide and the test was a multiple choice test. I only got one wrong. BUT i did learn a lot. The practical test wasn't hard because I had been driving my rig for a while, unlicensed. You have to back up without going over the line, turn without hitting the cones and do a road test. If you think you can properly drive a 26,000 pound plus vehicle without reading the guide and taking the test, I can assure you that others will disagree. It is not a pass or fail except for the air brake section, which isn't that hard, but as you can see, extremely important.

The one benefit to all of us, once you get your license, is the RV MH community doesn't get a bad rap for us not knowing how to drive our big rigs. Otherwise we are going to invite more legislation. And no one wants that.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #26

Just don't confuse laws regarding licensing with laws regarding operation. If your license is good to drive in the issuing state then reciprocity makes it okay elsewhere. Actual operating laws vary and you are subject to the specific state laws in that regard (length, weights, tow brakes,etc.) Towing laws are probably the most variable.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Most people I have talked to that have done the air brake course are glad they did. It isn't that complicated, but just common sense.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
How about too wide?

Very interesting discussion. To add to the fire, are they now making wider rigs than are legal in all states? I think mine is 8 feet 6 inches.

I am told some states don't allow that width - but if that is true, how can the dealers sell them there?

Tags
driver