Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

Driver's License Class

Hi, I will soon be traveling all over the US in my 37' diesel Class A with toad. Domicile state will be Florida. If I am just traveling through a state, am I required to comply with their particular license? Say, Maryland or California? I am currently in WV. Don't want to wind up in jail or with a big fine! Thank you.
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
No, your license is good in all 50 states. You do have to comply with their state laws, such as speed, brakes required, etc.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Carlada is correct. As long as you are a legal driver in Florida, you are legal as you pass through all other states.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The key is that 2 of the 3 must be the same, that is Registration and Drivers License and insurance. But most of us make sure are 3 are the same, it's just plain easier that way.

And you must comply to the rules of the state in which you have a License to drive. So if your state says you must have a CDL or an endorsement for air brakes then you better watch out if you don't.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
And you must comply to the rules of the state in which you have a License to drive. So if your state says you must have a CDL or an endorsement for air brakes then you better watch out if you don't.
NO state requires a CDL for private non-commercial use of a motor home.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
It might not be a "CDL" but it might require a different license type. In Georgia at 26,001lbs you have to get a class f license ... Which it's basically taking the CDL written test, having a learners permit, signing affidavit that you have driven 3 months or 3000 miles, and a vision test.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #7

Driver's License Class

You are legal in all 50 states. In Florida RVs are exempt from weight requirements, states it on the back of your license. HI is the only state that requires a CDL, yes an actual CDL. DC residents must have a CDL as well. About 19 other states require a non- CDL endorsement based either on weight(over 26k) or length.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:

In Ontario, and the rest of Canada AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "commercial" drivers license, there are only different classes of license based on the weight of the vehicle or type of vehicle. There is no exemptions for different vehicles such as a motorhome or TT /5er.

The typical 'car' license allows you to drive something up to 24k pounds and / or pull a trailer up to 10k.

Beyond that you need the same license as is required to drive a tractor trailer, there is however a 'restricted' truck license which allows you to pull a trailer over 10k pounds, but not a full-size tractor trailer or pull a trailer with air brakes.

It's amazing how many people have no idea about these restrictions and have driven illegally for decades. A friend of the family was quite offended when he was forced to leave his 5er in GA after he was involved in a minor fender-bender and a LEO pointed out he was not properly licensed and he couldn't continue on until he upgraded his license.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Licences

In Alberta,Canada if your Motor Home has air brakes you must have an "air endorsement" A lot of people do not bother taking the course and exam and getting their new drivers licence with the 'Q" endorsement stamped on it. If you are involved in an accident you are basically up "that creek" creek without a paddle.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Driver's License Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
It might not be a "CDL" but it might require a different license type. In Georgia at 26,001lbs you have to get a class f license ... Which it's basically taking the CDL written test, having a learners permit, signing affidavit that you have driven 3 months or 3000 miles, and a vision test.

That is the first I have heard of a license restriction in Georgia for Motorhomes.

I found confirmation here. http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/dldata...41951492&ty=dl

Thanks for the information.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Don't forget that there could be two issues.
One is the GVW - a lot of places (see I'm not saying everywhere) require a higher "class" license based on the weight of the vehicle, usually if over 24,000 or 26,000 lbs. In my case in Ontario I require a "D" class licence for my MH.

The other is usually an "endorsement", mainly for air brakes or other special equipment. Again I have a "Z" air brake endorsement on my license good for 5 years. A test is then required to renew it.

All states and provinces have what is basically a reciprocity agreement - if you are legal in your home state/province you are legal to drive in the others. That's for license issues.

HOWEVER - this does not include things like required supplementary braking, double towing, overall length, speed limits and a few other items which vary from place to place. Make sure your MH and toad comply with the rules in the states/provinces you are in/going through.

Overall we MH owners have it pretty good - be legal to drive at home, check state/province requirements, have insurance and away we go.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Pennsylvania has a non-commercial CDL which mirrors the requiments based on vehicle weight as a regular CDL vehicle. The license looks IDENTICAL to a regular non commercial license but will show either a Class A or B. You do not need a DOT medical card but it can never be used as a true CDL.

My actual CDL says COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE on it and looks different than a regular license.
Mcsap9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
That is the first I have heard of a license restriction in Georgia for Motorhomes.

I found confirmation here. Driver's License Classes

Thanks for the information.

Paul
In apparent conflict with the link I provided above, and the friend who was stuck on the side of the road in GA, further research by myself and others led to statements from a senior officer at a Georgia Driver's License office and a senior officer at a Georgia State Patrol station that both confirmed that the standard Class C drivers license is all that is required for RV's, even over 26,000 lbs.

Searching more in the Drivers license site gives us this language for Class C:

"Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating not in excess of 10,000 pounds, any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance."

Driver's License Classes

I am going to continue with my Class C license in my 33K lb motorhome pulling a 5500 lb toad. I will also print the page linked above to keep in my motorhome in case I am questioned.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Not quite the case. Wyoming required a CDL for this weight class until this year, and now still requires a special class Z that is based on much of the CDL requirements/testing.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver