Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
The DW & I checked out a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery recently.

A question came to mind ...

The gross vehicle weight was something around 28,000 pounds.
But, the salesman said that you only needed a Class C license to drive it.

I thought that, if a motor vehicle weighed 26,001 pounds or more, you had to have a Class A CDL to drive it.

Someone please explain this to me.
(I can’t imagine that all of you are having to keep up with a commercial drivers license, just to be able to “live the good life”.)
Just to clarify, the Class A CDL is for driving a combination vehicle, straight trucks only require a class B. Now you can drive a straight truck with a trailer that ways under 10k. I have a class A for almost 15 years. I used to get this question all the time from people who were thinking about driving for a career.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My MH weighs 46,700#'s dry and has disk air brakes all around. WA doesn't require anything more than my standard drivers license. So, as was said, check the laws of your home state for the correct info.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As you can see, States rule for this area.

Also for annual inspections and what may be a part of any inspection. In VA, Travel Trailers and MHs are inspected annually (at least when I left in 2015). Most get their cars inspected at a full service gas station however, they typically could not inspect RVs. Unlike the cars, TT inspections were not electronically tied to getting your tag renewal so most skipped the inspection on trailers.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh Yeah, you might not get accurate information from the DMV. People make mistakes. For example:
1) In VA I had a CDL-B but when I moved to FL at the DMV they said I could not convert it without a medical card even when I applied for Intrastate.
2) Sold a vehicle and the FL DMV template for vehicle sale states it can serve two purposes depending on which box you check. One box is for providing a Bill of Sale to the buyer so they can register their purchase. One box is for notifying the DMV that you no longer own (title) a specific vehicle. Same DMV, different person as #1, counter rep said they did not need it. Went back for another purpose and another counter rep took the form. It was important to me as the buyer was going to title/register in another state, so I wanted the vehicle off my record as soon as the check cleared.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #33

As a side note: I'm glad that many states are starting to require additional training for RV's. When I was training/testing for my CDL it came to mind 'why am I doing this and owners are not'? In AZ you don't need any special training to transition from a car to a 45' diesel pusher. I'm all for owners learning what the pro's have to know.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #34

As camp host, we have run into people that arrive with their new MH and ask for help cause they have never backed up before. To think they drove on a public road to get there.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
As camp host, we have run into people that arrive with their new MH and ask for help cause they have never backed up before. To think they drove on a public road to get there.
Everytime we go camping i have to back up some ones trailer or MH for them cause they cant do. They thought it would be cool to buy one, then never learned how to properly drive or tow it.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's the guidance from Texas DPS' website.

CDL Exemptions - Individuals who operate any of the following vehicles are not required to obtain a CDL but must have the correct class of driver license for the vehicle they are operating. Individuals must also certify to the Texas Class A or B Driver License Application - Non-CDL Exempt Vehicles (CDL-2). See CDL-Exempt Vehicle Test Sites.

1. Military or commercial vehicles when operated for military purposes by military personnel,

2. A vehicle controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport agricultural products, machinery or supplies within 150 miles of the individual's farm,

3. Fire-fighting or emergency vehicles necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire fighter, and

4. Recreational vehicles driven for personal use (although a CDL is not required, individuals must obtain the proper license class for the vehicle weight), and

5. A vehicle that is owned, leased, or controlled by an "air carrier" as defined by Texas Transportation Code, Section 21.155, and that is driven or operated exclusively by an employee of the air carrier only on the premises of an "airport," as defined by Texas Transportation Code, Section 22.001, on service roads to which the public does not have access; and

6. A vehicle used exclusively to transport seed cotton modules or cotton burrs.

Here's how you get it.

Go to your local driver's license office and tell them you want to take the Class B Non-CDL Exempt written test. They might not know what you are talking about--have them call Austin to figure it out. It's a 20 question test that covers chapter 14 of the Texas CDL manual. It does NOT cover air brakes. There were questions about lights, reflectors, fire extinguisher, towing, mud flaps, railroad crossings, safety flares/reflectors, and brake requirements.

Once you pass that, they will give you a phone number to call the nearest Regional CDL testing facility to schedule your driving test. The test is a piece of cake if you have any experience in a motor home. You have to back up in a space about 20' wide and 200 feet long and drive around on local streets and a highway. They are looking for you to turn your head to use your mirrors and look at traffic. The examiner will do a vehicle inspection, including the air brake test. The examiner will talk you through the air brake test, you don't need to know how to do it. They are testing the vehicle brakes, not your knowledge of the test.

You can rent a truck to take the test, but I don't know if that is allowed to take the Non-CDL test. You may want to call the local DPS driver's license office.

Truck Rental - Class A & B | CDL Test Truck
Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #37

Quote:
The problem I see is that I will need a motor home to take the driving portion of the test, but I don’t want to purchase a motor home before obtaining the license.

What did y’all do?
Have a friend drive your MH to the DMV?

My husband drove himself in the rig to his driving test. We didn’t know anyone who could help us and they didn’t ask him about it. He got the Texas non CDL Class B license as required for our rig weight.
CampTBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #38

Drivers License question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
... i have to back up some ones trailer or MH for them cause they cant ...

I’ve seen a few similar situations back in my truck driving days. Husband & wife team drivers. Both have their CDLs. But, she basically helps drive from point A to point B. Once they get to their destination, the husband does the backing.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #39

No special license in Michigan

Michigan does not even offer a license class for non-CDL large vehicles. I gave up my Class B CDL several years ago because I was no longer driving for others (non-paid volunteer). The only option I had was a regular operator's license. For RVing Michiganders, there is no special license requirement.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not Texas, but New York State requires a “R” endorsement for any MH over 26,000 lbs. Just a road test, no written. I took mine last fall and had a friend come that had a class B CDL.
blackhawkscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampTBug View Post
My husband drove himself in the rig to his driving test. We didn’t know anyone who could help us and they didn’t ask him about it ...

They don’t question how you got the MH to the place to take the test. They realize that you are trying to do the right thing by getting the correct license.

Great.

But, just in case, for whatever reason, you didn’t pass the driving portion of the test, are they going to allow you to drive it home, knowing that you didn’t pass the test?

How many of you did not pass the 1st time?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
They don’t question how you got the MH to the place to take the test. They realize that you are trying to do the right thing by getting the correct license.

Great.

But, just in case, for whatever reason, you didn’t pass the driving portion of the test, are they going to allow you to drive it home, knowing that you didn’t pass the test?

How many of you did not pass the 1st time?
I don't think many people can fail the test, at least in Texas. You drive the same course the 18 wheelers use which means you have lots of room for the backing exercise. After that it's a 15 minute ride around town. The worst part of the test is the fact that its a test and if you fail you'll have to wait another month to reschedule.

Tags
driver