Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #57

Drivers License question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
If you used to drive for a living then don't you have a class A CDL already? If for some reason you don't then it should be no big deal to get the appropriate license again.

Yes, I used to have a CDL. I gave it up a few years ago when I landed a job drawing in 2D & 3D.

Taking the driving test for a MH, turning is different. There is no articulation involved. I’d hate to fail the test, because of touching a curb, or going too wide. IIRC, your rear tires were only allowed to be no more than 4’ from the curb.

I don’t know.
Maybe I’m making too much of this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 06:59 AM   #58

[QUOTE=Moxxi;4076339]Yes, I used to have a CDL. I gave it up a few years ago when I landed a job drawing in 2D & 3D.

Taking the driving test for a MH, turning is different. There is no articulation involved. I’d hate to fail the test, because of touching a curb, or going too wide. IIRC, your rear tires were only allowed to be no more than 4’ from the curb.

I don’t know.
Maybe I’m making too much of

The test for the mh is nothing like what you probably went through for the cdl. It is different but if you drove a rig. Driving the coach isn't anything difficult for you
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #59
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
Yes, I used to have a CDL. I gave it up a few years ago when I landed a job drawing in 2D & 3D.
When you say you gave it up did you convert to a lower class license than a "Class-A?"

What area of Houston do you live in?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #60

I dropped it to a Class C. I wonder if I could have dropped it, at that time, to a non cdl class b.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #61

I have had a Class A CDL since I was old enough to have one and I see no reason to ever drop it. I thought I would not ever really need it again, and then we needed to move some equipment where I work and my having the license enabled us to do it "in house" instead of having to pay much more money and hire it out. Anyhow, I view it as a good thing to have because it is always something I can go do if my employment changes. Options are always a good thing.

Anyhow, I understand your point about the articulation and they turn different, but I would suggest that you may be over thinking this thing just a bit. Anyone who spent any time driving a tractor trailer should have very little trouble adjusting to a Class A motorhome. After all, if we are speaking about sizes, then you spent a lot of time driving around a truck that was basically towing a full size Class A behind it. And apparently you were successful doing it, so I am sure you will be fine. If I was in your position, I would go shopping and make a purchase whenever the right unit presented it's self. I would get insurance on it, drive it home carefully and worry about the license issue later.

Good luck!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #62
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I dropped it to a Class C. I wonder if I could have dropped it, at that time, to a non cdl class b.
Yep! Had a Class-A CDL and converted to Class-A.

As for my Reason, well I wasn't driving commercially anymore. However, I got a ticket and with a CDL there is no adjudication or defensive driving, just pay the $194 fine.

At least now I have some options.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Yep! Had a Class-A CDL and converted to Class-A.

As for my Reason, well I wasn't driving commercially anymore. However, I got a ticket and with a CDL there is no adjudication or defensive driving, just pay the $194 fine.

At least now I have some options.
Same here. I got my CDL when I was 19. I hauled heavy equipment, drove OTR, and later drove a delivery truck while I was in college. After I became a construction foreman I didn't need it except when I would borrow the company's haul truck and haul a piece of heavy equipment to my property. I kept it up until they changed the rules to meet DOT standards (90's) where you needed a physical and they added some other baggage like you described. I had to re-take the test to get my Class A non-CDL.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #64
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Huh! You had a Class A CDL and you had to retake the test for a Class A! They just converted mine over and no test needed. The only difference is you cannot drive a commercial but you can drive similar equipment "Not For Hirel" I converted mine in 2006.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #65

I took the written test in Rosenberg, on Friday, hardest part was making sure I got the right test, the Special requirements, NOT, the commercial rules.
They gave me a list of locations for the driving test, and Livingston is on the list, however I chose Rosenberg again.
Don't suppose anyone is familiar with the routes they take you, on the CDL test in Rosenberg ?, as I assume it will be the same for an RV
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Huh! You had a Class A CDL and you had to retake the test for a Class A! They just converted mine over and no test needed. The only difference is you cannot drive a commercial but you can drive similar equipment "Not For Hirel" I converted mine in 2006.
About 20 years elapsed between dropping the CDL and needing the Class A.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #67

Does anyone know whether or not Livingston makes you parallel park?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #68

In Texas, if you are over 26,000 then you need a Class B license. That amounts to passing a CDL written and driving tests. Good luck.
foretom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretom2 View Post
In Texas, if you are over 26,000 then you need a Class B license. That amounts to passing a CDL written and driving tests. Good luck.
The written test you take is only on section 14 of the CDL handbook, and is called the Special requirements test. It is a series of questions on lighting, lengths etc.
There is no written Air brake test, or other CDL test.
Be sure you ask for a Class B EXEMPT (Non-CDL) license, and that is the only written test you'll be required to take.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #70
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just some semantics, but why do some call them Class A, B, C, M EXEMPT?

Texas has two types of non special licenses. Class A, B, C and M, and then Class A, B, C and M CDL

I do understand that RV operators driving for non-commercial purposes are exempt from having to have a CDL. However, there license will only state Class A, B, C or M. No where on the license will there appear the words "exempt."

A commercial driver license will have the words, Class A CDL or Class B CDL written on it.

Now, we do fill out the form CDL-2 that indicates we will be driving a commercial vehicle but do not require a CDL,

Here is a direct quote from the CDL-2:

"There are certain motor vehicles that are classified as commercial motor vehicles (based upon gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating) that do not require the driver to hold a commercial driver license. Drivers of these vehicles are required to hold
a Class A or B non-commercial driver license based upon the gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of the vehicle that the driver will be operating. Select the appropriate box(es) that apply to you and certify below."

Tags
driver