Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Drivers Rear View Mirror to View Passengers

Is the mirror more of a distraction or useful? I don't have one now but have often thought it would be a good idea. Not sure if it would be more of a distraction.

Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is so you can keep an eye on children/pets, shouldn't be an issue. If it is so you can get eye contact while talking with passengers, not such a good idea.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

I look at mine, maybe, once a day; and then only if I hear a noise behind me. I would not miss it were it gone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is fairly useless to look around the cabin. However, it does have a compass and thermometer built into it. So I guess it does have some redeeming value. I guess if I were at sea the compass would come in handy
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Bought an oversize clip on mirror, goes on the original rearview. It's panoramic and I can check the cabin if someone/something is moving around. It's mounted well above the normal field of view. Local autoparts store, seems worthwhile..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A class A does not normally come with an inside mirror.. I added a small one (Baby mirror designed to keep eye on Baby) frankly it's useless.. I'm thinking of a full size Rear View (Autotive) but as I now travel alone and have been traveling for a long time.. Most of the noises I hear behind me My ears ID so it's not really an issue.. at least not till I find Sweetie #2.0 to travel with me.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

I use it to keep an eye on DW when she goes to the back for a potty break or a snack/drink. She does the same for me. We've been watching out for each other for 53 years and have no intention of stopping now. I finally figured out how to do it!! (slow learner, I guess)
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Don't use it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Mine is fairly useless to look around the cabin. However, it does have a compass and thermometer built into it. So I guess it does have some redeeming value. I guess if I were at sea the compass would come in handy
I ask the gentleman I was buying it from about it when I first walked into the Coach and sat in the drivers seat......"What good it the rear view mirror"? Digtal temp. & compass..........is about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06093.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	62981  
Old 05-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

All very good comments and useful information.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought a new Monaco Diplomat in 2005 with the TV that hung down from the ceiling. At the same time my sister bought a new Itasca Meridian (Winnebago DP). Theirs came with a large rear view mirror. I bought the same mirror and added it to the underside of the television. I used it off and on for years, but primarily to keep an eye on the wife when she was moving around. It was nice, but I'm not going to add one to my new coach....not enough use.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one and use it to keep a check on DW when she is up and the dog and cat who rides on the couch.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

The PO had mounted one to keep an eye on passengers. Having kids makes it very worthwhile and I caught young ones sneaking the seatbelts off on the couch. It was definitely worthwhile in that environment until it fell off.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #13

Keeping an eye on people moving around behind you seems a bit futile. Is it so you can watch them sailing through the air when you hit something because you weren't watching where you are going.

I take the mirror off simply because if it is there I can't help including it in the normal rear view scan and that is just an unnecessary distraction.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Keeping an eye on people moving around behind you seems a bit futile. Is it so you can watch them sailing through the air when you hit something because you weren't watching where you are going.

I take the mirror off simply because if it is there I can't help including it in the normal rear view scan and that is just an unnecessary distraction.
You must not have kids or the ability to do a glance-scan without running off the road. Do you not look in your side mirrors? Do you not glance at the instrument console here and there? Somehow, I am able to do all of that and even take a peek at the passengers now and then.

Maybe you are referring to the guy who watched his wife when she was out of the seat. That does seem a bit excessive but maybe he just glances up here and there when she is moving around to see if she has fallen and he needs to pull over to help or something.

Tags
driver