Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

Driveway angle vs. rear overhang

Hey everyone...

My wife and I are currently building a new home in a subdivision that will have RV parking on the side next to the garage. Based on current grading for the front driveway, it looks like I'll have a bit of "hill" to drive up to get to the RV space. I don't think it'll be a problem but I'm a tiny bit concerned that my rig is so long that the back will scrape the street - or worse, the hitch will bottom out - before the rig clears the "hill."

Is there a mathematical formula I can use to determine how much of an angle I can climb without scraping the back? I'd like to be able to measure it first without damaging the street or my rig... that way if we need to regrade the drive we can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following. It's like a high school geometry problem. I'm waiting to cheat off the smart kids answer :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Following. It's like a high school geometry problem. I'm waiting to cheat off the smart kids answer :-)
lol... exactly!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #4

Back in if it drags more grading needed the only sure way.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Back in if it drags more grading needed the only sure way.
Hmmm... is there an "un" sure way, cuz that doesn't sound very practical
Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefrack View Post
Hey everyone...

My wife and I are currently building a new home in a subdivision that will have RV parking on the side next to the garage. Based on current grading for the front driveway, it looks like I'll have a bit of "hill" to drive up to get to the RV space. I don't think it'll be a problem but I'm a tiny bit concerned that my rig is so long that the back will scrape the street - or worse, the hitch will bottom out - before the rig clears the "hill."

Is there a mathematical formula I can use to determine how much of an angle I can climb without scraping the back? I'd like to be able to measure it first without damaging the street or my rig... that way if we need to regrade the drive we can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Maybe forward your questions to the contractor. Hopefully the side of the garage where the RV will be park is level and be terrific if full hook-up is available. Good to plan ahead.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
You could take the dimensions to your local high school geometry teacher who could likely figure it out mathematically. The problem is you would need precise height measurement of your driveway, street and curb which might be difficult to measure with precision.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look here https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/KurtHeckm...rture%29+angle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approa...parture_angles
Attached Images

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Just thinking out loud. Take a string line and stretch it (tight) between the bottom of the front tires and the bottom of the hitch (measure the height of the hitch and set a wood block at the side to support the string) along the side of the coach. The distance from the ground to the string beside your rear tires is the maximum depth you can have before the hitch will touch. (mark the string where the front tires, hitch and rear tires are).

Stretch the string on the driveway. If the depth is less than measured on the mark you should be good. Try the string in several places.

This will also depend upon having the same weight and loading in the coach.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You can calculate it using trigonometry, but I wouldn't trust the calculation because it would assume the street is perfectly level and the driveway is perfectly flat and both are unlikely. Here's a link to a rise and run calculator which might be useful to you. Put in the run -- the length of the portion of the drive you are worried about, and the pitch angle (2/12, 4/12, 6/12 etc.) and it will calculate the degree of the angle for you.

https://www.blocklayer.com/riserun.aspx

You can use that angle with the information from rgvtexan to calculate the departure angle of your coach and the approximate angle of your driveway it will tolerate.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a simple person. I would measure from the center of the back wheel to the back bumper and then measure from the ground to the bottom of the bumper. Take a 2"x4" and zip tie it to the back bumper using the frame for leverage so that you can approximate the distance behind the axle and the height. Then have at it. Either it will scrape or not.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #12

What's the length of the overhang and the angle of the driveway?
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #13

Driveway angle vs. rear overhang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefrack View Post
Hmmm... is there an "un" sure way, cuz that doesn't sound very practical

How about measure from your back wheel to bumper and from the ground to lowest spot to determine the degree of angle.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Dumb question since I figured you have already checked but does the subdivision covenant allow you to park a motorhome in your driveway? Most don't including boats, campers or trailers of any kind.