Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
but you lose basement storage compartment space as well.
A little, but you also gain length with the tag which recovers some of that space.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I would think having to worry about four more $500-$600 tires to replace would also be a consideration for some when deciding between tag or no tag axle. There are some out in the RV world that want their motor homes to drive, ride, and perform like a BMW! They won't.

A tag only has 2 tires. So instead of 6 tires total it's 8.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Wouldn't the wheelbase be longer between the front axle and drive wheels on a DP ?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the tag was ahead of the drive axle.
I've seen it that way on semi tractors, but I think all MH the tag is in the back. I just looked at one the other day (I think was Freightliner chassis MH) that had a steering tag axle that turned with the front so you didn't have to dump it.

On edit - it was a Spartan - pretty cool

Spartan Chassis
Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #18

Wheel base length and steer wheel cut angle are the two factors in turning circle. We have a very long wheelbase 42' coach, but we can lift the tag to shorten that wheelbase when we need to turn sharp. And our coach has IFS with a sharp cut on the front wheels.

So when you are looking at coaches check the angle cut on the steer tires.

I will not advise you to get a short wheelbase as that causes all sorts of other problems. Like wander down the road at freeway speed.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:47 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Wheel base length and steer wheel cut angle are the two factors in turning circle. We have a very long wheelbase 42' coach, but we can lift the tag to shorten that wheelbase when we need to turn sharp. And our coach has IFS with a sharp cut on the front wheels.

So when you are looking at coaches check the angle cut on the steer tires.

I will not advise you to get a short wheelbase as that causes all sorts of other problems. Like wander down the road at freeway speed.
Tag is behind drive (turning radius point) axle. Wheel base is distanced from frt axle to drive axle. The tag tires lift to not scrub the pavement as they slid across the ground on tight turns.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Floor plan is more important than lenght of the coach.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #21

The extra expense of a tag axle is minimal. Two more tires at a cost of $500 each over eight years is $125/ year. divided by 8000 miles per year amounts to 1.5 cents per mile. A pretty small price for the added stability, load carrying capacity, shorter turning radius and additional braking that the tag provides. The cost is insignificant when added to the overall cost of motor home ownership.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can let floorplan desires dictate length, or length dictate floorplan.

We started out looking only at tag axles because I was under the illusion they were an option for increased Cargo Capacity. I quickly learned they were just an engineering factor associated with length and weight so we instead focused on the floorplan we liked and didn't care how many axles it had.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #23

Thanks to all

Thanks to all who have responded. I am leaning a lot. Although I would have to push up the purchase price, I am liking the idea of a gently used early 2000's 40ft Monaco Dynasty. Any other comparable tag axle coaches in the 40ft range I should consider? The added stability of the tag axle in windy conditions and dealing with passing semi's is very appealing.

My major angst in pulling the trigger on the purchase of a used MH is outlined in a post under the title "No guts, no glory."

Again thanks, you guys are great and make this a valuable forum.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Thanks to all who have responded. I am leaning a lot. Although I would have to push up the purchase price, I am liking the idea of a gently used early 2000's 40ft Monaco Dynasty. Any other comparable tag axle coaches in the 40ft range I should consider? The added stability of the tag axle in windy conditions and dealing with passing semi's is very appealing.

My major angst in pulling the trigger on the purchase of a used MH is outlined in a post under the title "No guts, no glory."

Again thanks, you guys are great and make this a valuable forum.

The Dynasty in that ago range are great coaches. You might consider some of the Country Coaches in that age range as well.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #25

As stated drive them all and feel the difference

Get the floorplan you want

a longer, heavier and more expensive RV will almost always ride and handle better (wind, irregular roads etc) vs a smaller RV. However if the interior of the RV isn't what you like, need or want how it handles doesn't really matter

Drive as many as you can and get the floor plan you want. As stated if it ends up having a tag 2 tires every 8 years shouldn't brake the bank
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #26

We have a 41 ft 6 inch 2008 Thor Four Winds Mandalay with the single rear axle. We have a 60 inch turning radius. It has the IFS. we enjoy the ride. we have no problems with trucks passing us. We love the floor plan. For us he floor plan was the most important thing for us.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
We have a 41 ft 6 inch 2008 Thor Four Winds Mandalay with the single rear axle. We have a 60 inch turning radius. It has the IFS. we enjoy the ride. we have no problems with trucks passing us. We love the floor plan. For us he floor plan was the most important thing for us.
What are you talking about....maybe you mean a 60 degree frt wheel cut. But I doubt that, as most are 55-56 degrees.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #28

Clueless regarding the "cut" angle on our old straight axle Freightliner (38' overall), but I can tell you that when maneuvering with the wheels hard over, it seems like I'm literally going sideways in the driver's seat.

I consider it very maneuverable getting into and out of tight places.