Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #15

My wife handles our 40 just as well as I do. There are a few situations that I still prefer to do the driving; heavy traffic and strong cross winds, but that really has nothing to do with her ability to drive it but more the control freak part of my personality.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette4ba View Post
...Any words of encouragement to convince me that a 40 ft will be OK for a single woman?... You will not hurt my feelings if you say that is just too big for a "girl" to drive. Thanks!
Good God!! If any of the males in this forum made a comment like that there would be a federal investigation!!

Seriously, you're barking up the wrong tree. Too big for a girl? Pshaw! I can introduce you to a half-dozen women who are 747 Captains. Big enough? That's the last airplane I flew-- its 200 ft long and 200 ft wide. You can get used to anything. If you're comfortable with 28 ft, you'll be fine in a 40..... or a 45 if you want. Just takes a short ride to learn where your corners are.

This ability relates not at all to gender, but to what I call "spatial aptitude". I've watched this over the years. Some people can operate vehicles-- (small or large, cars, boats, trucks, buses, aircraft)-- with confidence because they have a natural ability to judge distance, speed, closure rate, etc., and they can keep a mental picture of what's going on around them. Almost everyone drives a car, but very few people really like to drive.

If you want the forty, and its the right coach for you, then buy it. Yes, its just that simple.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #17

JFXG, that's just the term I was looking for "spatial aptitude" and if you don't mind me using it in the future. Excellent!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
JFXG, that's just the term I was looking for "spatial aptitude" and if you don't mind me using it in the future. Excellent!
No problem...... not copyrighted!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #19

Vince,
I live in East Amherst, how about you? It's is a private sale not Colton or Buffalo RV.
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shouldn't be a problem after a few miles. When we went from a 35' to a 38' DP I ran over the curb on the way out of the dealers so I "learned" quick! Of course I did it a few times more just for good measure. With the 41' we now have I very seldom hit a curb.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what model you are looking at, but a 40' diesel pusher with a tag axle will drive smoother/nicer and corner tighter than a 36' coach. The tag axle stabilizes it going down the road at speed and it lifts during tight cornering (when it lifts, it shortens the pivot wheelbase).
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure you can do it. Curious as to why the big jump in size. I agree with all the previous posts, but no one asked about your camping lifestyle. There are going to be places you will not be getting into with the 40' that you can with the 28'. If you are fan of state parks, they would be examples of potential problems.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #23

Ok, I put the offer in, we'll see what happens. It is a 2004 Holiday Rambler M-40-DST for $75,000. It has extra options but also lots of scrapes and scratches.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #24

I am upgrading to a bigger size because the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 schnauzers) want to live in it at Sun n Fun in Florida this winter. We are going to try 3 months and then maybe next year do all 5 months.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #25

Vette, I am in Lancaster. Careful where you take the HR in for service. A good diesel shop is Chet Kruszka's Service on Southwestern Blvd. across from Towne Ford. Shop manager is Doug and I have used them on my previous rig several times and they are honest and good. Good Luck on your purchase and adventures!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #26

Two main rules - turn out wide on right hand corners and watch the tail swing if the overhang is large, - and always get out an check all around you before reversing and if necessary get out and check every couple of yards if the situation is cluttered.

Make sure you are fully familiar with air brake operation and techniques for getting up and down steep long grades without overheating either the brakes or the engine

have fun.

"lots of scrapes and scratches" - big bonus since you won't need to worry about your first little scrape.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going to jump in with my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette4ba View Post
I am upgrading to a bigger size because the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 schnauzers) want to live in it at Sun n Fun in Florida this winter. We are going to try 3 months and then maybe next year do all 5 months.
and throw this out there for what its worth. We - 2 adults, we are female, and 2 Corgis lived very comfortably in a 30 Class A with one slide for 3 months last winter.Our kitchen is in the slide. I think the slide makes all the difference in the world - it opens up our living space and makes it livable. We have plenty of room in the back bedroom, a nice usable sized bathroom - rarely used the cg bathroom/showers, functional kitchen, and plenty interior and exterior storage. So IMHO, I'm not sure the length of the MH is the only factor in livability.

As far as being a women and being able to drive a large RV, it is not a gender skill. We've seen women driving very large DP with as much skill as any of the men. We shared the driving duties - I grew up on a farm and was comfortable driving large vehicles and towing. P had never driven anything larger than a Class B camper van. We left for Florida in the 30' towing the Jeep and she jumped behind the wheel and down the road we went. Just be confident. I will say driving a MH requires you to be much more attentive and to anticipate not only what you are going to do but what other drivers are doing.

Our reason for the 30' are 1) we primarily stay in state, regional and COE parks and 2) we tow a Jeep Wrangler and wanted to keep our length down. These may not apply to you - just something to consider. Your camping style should play into the choice you make

Happy shopping and enjoy whatever you choose. We absolutely loved our 3 month in the south last winter
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are not comfortable driving a 40' you can take a motorhome driving course in Fla. that would help build your confidence .

I knew someone that had bought a 43' leaving the dealership they purchased the motorhome from they side swiped a used motorhome in the parking lot. After that he took a driving course-too late-

Good luck,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote