Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Two main rules - turn out wide on right hand corners and watch the tail swing if the overhang is large, - and always get out an check all around you before reversing and if necessary get out and check every couple of yards if the situation is cluttered.

Make sure you are fully familiar with air brake operation and techniques for getting up and down steep long grades without overheating either the brakes or the engine

have fun.

"lots of scrapes and scratches" - big bonus since you won't need to worry about your first little scrape.
x2
I figure that I'll get the scrapes out on my current big rig and hopefully be a better driver by the time I get my next one. Be extra careful when backing into sites. I was just at a CG that had the regular utility post but also a short metal post for cable TV. It was after dark, I was in a hurry to get settled; I didn't see the cable post and put a three inch scrape on a compartment door. Let's just say I wasn't too happy.

And if you pull a toad, make sure that the emergency brake is off - Just yesterday I started to pull out of an RV service center and left a twenty foot skid mark! Fortunately, I double checked before hitting the street!

But, in spite of the inevitable mishaps, I love driving a 41' motor home with a Wrangler toad! Sure, $#%¡ will happen, but is it worth it? Truck yeah it is! You'll get used to it pretty quickly. Read all the iRV2 advice, learn from other's mistakes, and just never assume you know what you're doing! Happy travels!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You go girl, get in that rig and drive. You can learn what you need to know, it is not about brawn but brain. Find a big lot and take an hour or so to practice and you will know what you need to know. Have fun with the extra room.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Driving is no issue at all. I've driven our 40-foot plus toad for years. The biggest issue is backing up into an RV space. Easy to do if you have good access, but can be tricky with some spots because you can't always see the full swing and corners of the RV. The times I've moved the rig on my own, I've asked someone at the campground to spot for me. Usually people are helpful and very willing to lend a hand.

Nina
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #32

Ok, I now own a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor M-40DST 330HP -YEAH!!!
Thank you to al of you for your help and confidence boosters. I think my license plate is going to say "I can do it".
Hey Vincee, you are the 2nd person to tell me about Kruszka's. I guess I have found my "RV guy".
Happy trails everyone, and thanks again!
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek5 View Post
.... driving a MH requires you to be much more attentive and to anticipate not only what you are going to do but what other drivers are doing.
Excellent point! You're right, Trek..... that's the key. "Mass Management", as we used to call it. The laws of physics are predictable and immutable. If you have 30K lbs moving on a particular line, it will continue on that line unless some other force is applied. You have to be the one that controls it. It will take longer to accelerate, decelerate, change lanes, etc., so you have to be looking ahead and thinking ahead.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #34

Hopefully these links lead to information that you find useful:
IMO, this is the best auxiliary braking system for your towed vehicle.
RV tech library.

After we switched from a 40' 5th wheel to a 40' MH, these links were quite helpful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on the recent purchase. Feel free to post up some pics. If I were you, I'd take a short RV driving course if you're feeling nervous. Also, a good idea is to take an air brake course and get your air brake endorsement. This will give you a very good understanding of air brakes since they don't act/react like normal hydraulic brakes. Happy RVing...
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #36

We have a 42'- 2 women and the "Beav"
It's easy, just turn wide
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #37

Hey Vette, Congratulations on the big rig! Many many happy, fun, adventurous and safe miles. Always enjoy the day!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette4ba View Post
I have a 28ft Class C now and am looking to buy a 40 ft coach. It just seems soooo big? I have driven a 36 ft with dealers but the 40 just seems so much bigger? Any words of encouragement to convince me that a 40 ft will be OK for a single woman? I will be traveling with a friend and 2 schnauzers but no one else will be driving. You will not hurt my feelings if you say that is just too big for a "girl" to drive. Thanks!
Man/woman has nothing to do with anything. I see you put an offer on it, good luck and wish you well. Was going to say if you feel it's to big then it's probably to big, you need to go with what's comfortable for you.
Charrua72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Ok, I now own a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor M-40DST 330HP -YEAH!!!
Thank you to al of you for your help and confidence boosters. I think my license plate is going to say "I can do it".
Hey Vincee, you are the 2nd person to tell me about Kruszka's. I guess I have found my "RV guy".
Happy trails everyone, and thanks again!
Congrats!!! Now you can look at it like this all the while your inside is like this . Good luck with your travels and I'll be the 1st to ask...WHERE ARE THE PICS? Safe travels young lady.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Driving a 40 footer is not much different then your C class 28 footer. Just make wider turns because of the longer vehicle. Do not park to close to other objects because the longer vehicle will swing out further with the back when turning. The width of both vehicles are about the same and your visibility will be much better because you are sitting higher up. Enjoy your new vehicle
evesely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You won't have any trouble driving the 40. My wife drives ours, bit nervous in traffic but otherwise no issues.
BJFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #42

Quote:
You will not hurt my feelings if you say that is just too big for a "girl" to drive. Thanks!
My wife does most of the driving & all the parking. You have nothing to worry about.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote