Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd consider taking an RV to Mexico IF...

... I could bring an AR-15, a shotgun, and a couple of handguns....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in the 70s I traveled as a little kid with my brother and mother alone to tijuana. Two little kids and a tiny woman. Im assuming the border towns are much different now. In the late 80s I crossed the border with a bunch of friends from U of A and drove down to puerto penasco. When we crossed the border with a bunch of topless jeeps and suv's, the federales went from car to car, holding us up for a couple hundred bucks each. I remember Used lumber yards and shacks made from street signs. We were chased out of a bar and through a neighborhood to the beach by local police and one of us was arrested for no good reason and his parents paid an exorbitant amount to get him out. I hear that area is now a booming tourist and summer home area now. I would agree that the border towns don't represent most of the country. I would probably make a trip down in the rv but would be a bit worried until we made it further south into the country. The op seemed to ask how we felt about perhaps the stark difference between a family traveling in an expensive rv compared to perhaps some very poor locals. I have seen that stark contrast here in the states in some rural southern areas. I will not apologize for my hard work. I do have empathy for those less fortunate but I will never feel guilty in any way.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents did a caravan some years ago in their Foretravel. Got almost run off the road by and oncoming truck and it took their awning off even though they were off the pavement to avoid the truck. Naturally the Mexican insurance said it was their fault even though it clearly wasn't. They never went back and we've never taken an RV there either although we did walk across with some friends while in Yuma.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #32

Depends how much you value your and your families lives. Lots to see in the USA without the risk.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #33

mexico

I had been going down to San Felipe for 35 years...3 times a year for 7-10 days at a time..Never have had a problem...but when the economy went south..the violence went up7-8 years ago...I quit going..Now i go to the river,,,but i miss the flavor of Mexico.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #34

Not surprised by many of the responses here. Lots of ignorance and hearsay without a lot of first hand information. Drove my '02 Class C Lazy Daze to Cabo in 2003 alone (yeah that's the whole length of the Peninsula) and have driven every year since -- sometimes leaving it stored down there. Generally drive alone, or with a friend who lives down there.

Downside of Baja: Highway 1 is very narrow. First trip down, a 5ver going North side swiped me taking out my driver side mirror. Got to Loreto my second night and a fancy Class A owner told me the same thing had happened to him that day. (He was in a caravan going South.) The 5ver that hit me was in a caravan going North and going too fast. That caravan was about 6 large RV's and they didn't stop.

Yes, some of the cops are looking for mordida. A small bribe -- sometimes it's a downright shake down. Neopolitan laws apply: guilty until proven innocent. MX insurance is mandatory including a MX lawyer if you're in an accident. I'm told bandidos are lurking but have never seen one.

Petty theft is rampant. Anything that can be taken will disappear.

Upside: The above doesn't bother me. But then I have eyes in the back of my head, anticipate possible trouble, and speak some Spanish. I've never had trouble -- short of some some small theft items.

I've owned land in Todos Santos until recently and that was fine.

It's a third world country with some corruption going on.

So, yes I drove my new RV down alone first time. Except for the mirror, no problems.

Baja is NOT for everyone. Like I said, lots of fear in the minds of people about some cartel related murders, and scams make the news. This stuff reinforces what some people think: it's lawless and dangerous. Personally, I don't think it is. Yes it's safer than some parts of the US but not all. Safer than Compton and East LA, to me.

I'll be down there in a month for 4-5 months, fishing in the morning, and eating fish for breakfast, then surfing, then reading on a deserted beach under an umbrella, water in the 70s, air 75. No clouds, whales out front, not a worry in the world.

If you're looking for guaranteed safety, don't go South. This is not resort living.

Actually, the roads going down are in good shape. It's just that the road is narrow and hyper vigilance is called for.

There is a forum, Baja Nomads, where newbies can post. Common questions like is it safe? How do I prepare for the drive?

Little background: I'm ex-law, former Marine, pilot 45 years, surfing 50 years.

I love MX and it's people. It's a beautiful country and I love it.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Personally, I think anyone would have to be insane to drive ANY motorhome into Mexico! JMHO

You should read Radar's post. He has it exactly right, simply because he has the personal experience to be able to make an informed comment.
Few others over on the OpenRoads Mexico forum also know what they are talking about because they actually do go to Mexico every year rather than just repeating sensationalist gossip..
Me? Been once for close to three months a couple of years ago and boondocked for close to half the nights without incident. Going again next month for at least four months and once again will be traveling around rather than staying holed up in a tourist trap.

Quote:
PERFECTLY SAFE, and all my equipment will NEVER be touched
So where do you live that this fanciful society exists?

But back to the OP's question. Yes, I understand where you are coming from. Even in my 16 year old beat-up Airstream, I get the same feeling every time we overnight in a Walmarts alongside homeless people sleeping in their beat-up cars. Don't have to travel all the way to Mexico to experience that sort of disconnect between the haves and have-nots
Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #36

I've been to Mexico and enjoyed it. Nice people, good food and great weather. I don't want to drive my RV there but I will visit again. I know a few people who live there year round and don't have too many issues.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #37

Well, Like I said before, I wouldn't want anyone to travel to a place they felt out of their comfort zone, life is too short to not enjoy yourself. But like I also said, careful on taking travel advice from people who heard about it from someone at work who knows a guy. Or something that happened 30 years ago, or something that a sensationalist media source wrote about etc etc. I would have never gone to Morocco if I hadn't talked to people who had actually been there as compared to those who had never been there and saying they would never go because it is a Muslim country. Get your info from the right sources and then make an informed decision.

Morocco is pretty cool by the way, We are going back to for a three month RV trip in 2017. We are Canadian but there is a fair amount of American history there for those who are interested in exploring it. The very first nation in the world to recognize the US as a separate nation. Like any country, try to pick up a little Arabic or French before you go so you can be polite at a basic level.

Here's Angela looking quite stylish wearing the local garb overlooking Tangiers.

Stay safe out there and be good to each other.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #38

Never happen in Canada ?

Radar, Just wondering if you plan your trip,have GPS or maps ? The comment about " Never happen in Canada " " The cop had to call his wife so she could google a campsite for us " That wasn't good enough ? They ARE cops not travel guides. Most try to help. Lots to see in Canada and the people are friendly.
Not trying to come across to hard but i am a 63 year old Canadian and like the Proud people from the USA, I stick up for my country. Cheers and happy travels.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Personally, I think anyone would have to be insane to drive ANY motorhome into Mexico! JMHO
That actually made me laugh out loud. I guess ignorance is bliss. But I suspect there is darker theme lurking in comments like this.... Rocky Point is a very safe area and frequented by many Americans. I never had an issue. Tons of US based RVS down there all the time.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Radar, Just wondering if you plan your trip,have GPS or maps ? The comment about " Never happen in Canada " " The cop had to call his wife so she could google a campsite for us " That wasn't good enough ? They ARE cops not travel guides. Most try to help. Lots to see in Canada and the people are friendly.
Not trying to come across to hard but i am a 63 year old Canadian and like the Proud people from the USA, I stick up for my country. Cheers and happy travels.
Good morning. We do use GPS and kinda plan our trips but I am good at getting lost. I am also Canadian. Love my country and served a full military career. However, I have no complaints about the police in Canada. I just find Mexican cops have gone out of their way for us on more than a few occasions.

Yes lots to see in Canada in the USA but in my humble opinion it doesn't come close to the Mexico. Mostly because it is a different culture and there are many historical things to see that we just don't have in the US or Canada. Hard to find 2000 year old ruins or 400 year old perfectly preferred spanish cities in the USA or Canada. I know, not for everybody. But it is for us.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Good morning again Rider. Just re-reading your message and wondering if I mis-took its meaning. I think you may have misunderstood my initial message. My writing skills are not the best. My comments on the Mexican cop and his wife helping us find a camp ground were those of praise not of disappointment. My apologies if it came out other than that.

John.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #42

Radar, if you liked Morocco, you will love Turkey - well, maybe except for the 60,000 mosques with very big loudspeakers that get going at 4:15am

BTW, in neither country did Betty feel a need to wear head coverings

In Mexico, couple of times when boondocking near small villages we had the local police come around and via their smart phones, tell us they would call around during the night to make sure we were OK.