Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I was just down your way ,how you been,,.. hope all is well
Doing well, thanks. Went to Powell for a week and it was awesome. Been in lockdown at work for this year getting things done.

Hope all is well on your end also!

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Your ride height looks low. Maybe that's why you bottomed out going to needles. May want to check that out.
I the pics the bags are dumped,and on the levelrs... I think the ride height is high in the front,.. but that might be why it rides so good.... I lanched air born off the bump in the road... to anybody traveling that road ..be causious right after the in section station... this is on the section between the havasu turn off and the topock bridge...

it's pretty bad... and only wanna give warning... everyone can do what they want

Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
Doing well, thanks. Went to Powell for a week and it was awesome. Been in lockdown at work for this year getting things done.

Hope all is well on your end also!
good to hear,jealous about the powel trip wanna go back there bad..

wanna take the boat and stay at waweep

have you drove you MH from havasu to topoc lately?????
Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #32

Quote:
when in city traffic and driving light to light. what gear do you use...

I use 4th it runs the fan faster and in the heat of vegas, keeps the motor cool

it never goes over 1500 rpms...

some say leave it in 6th... but to me it seems to stop easier and quicker if in 4th...

what say you ??

oh, and I did the same with my 6speed gas motor...
LVRVLUVR
Because my Allison transmission chooses the best gear for most any driving situation, (including city traffic), I let the transmission pick the appropriate gear wherever I drive.
Mel
'96 Safari, Allison MD3060 automatic
Old 06-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Rich

I have the 3000MH but on mine it does not show what gear I'm in while in drive. In city driving my coach shifts almost like a car. Not quite but close enough where it's not lugging or overreving. I'm not sure how shifting manually under these conditions given how mine shifts would improve anything. In the hills or more importantly the mountains it's pretty much manual shifting all the way. What am I missing?
post not to me but, here's my answer, mine is the same as yours, the thing that happens when I down shift it say's what gear,...IE if I down shift to 4th is says 4th and doesn't shift higher.... if i'm in 6th and wanna stop from 45 it has to go through all the motions of 6th to 5th to 4th...... if i'm in 4th I have way better engine braking... I also have the dual stage brake....

those of you that haven't tried it and don't wanna ... i'm ok with it ..those of you that do try it I think will like the results...I have friends that are OTR drivers and a bunch that drive big rigs in the city.... they all say the same thing... do what ever it takes to be able to stop quicker and easier..
Old 06-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #34

I tend to drive city and country roads in lower gears for some of same reasons. Better braking and trans spends less time shifting.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #35

of it this way...the trans doesn't not react as immediate as you do..meaning when you get off the gas,... it has to decide if you are just coasting ... or stopping.... it never knows you are panic stopping...

in 4th, i'm never going 1500 rpm..

if you know you will never be going over 35 for any leinght of time bring the trans down to match the speed... same as in the steep grades. or climbing in the hills if you are going up a hill and and around corners and hit a down section it will up shift to too high of gear...

my engine seems to love the 1500 rpm range and that's where I drive it most on the road..if i'm driving 55 up hill and it gets down to 5th... which it bairley does..and I know that i'm gonna ,wanna stay at that speed... and it has sections of up and down.. I just grab a gear,,,,then when I get to more level and it will pull 6th I shift back up....
Old 06-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
LVRVLUVR
Because my Allison transmission chooses the best gear for most any driving situation, (including city traffic), I let the transmission pick the appropriate gear wherever I drive.
Mel
'96 Safari, Allison MD3060 automatic
do you have a 6 speed and 1200 ft lbs of tq?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #37

I try to keep my RPMs between 1450 and 2100, I guess it is just the "old bus driver" in me. After driving with a recording-pyrometer for a while, my mindset was converted to see things from the mechanic's views. JH
Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I stick it in "D" ... and let the transmission do what it's designed to do. As near as I can tell - it does OK with that. RPMs more or less stay in the range I want them in ... trans and engine temps as well. I can't say with any degree of certainty that I'd do a better job by trying to shift it manually - so I leave well enough alone.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #39

i've come this decision...some drive there rigs and some just sit behind the wheel...
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Ha Ha
never thought of taking it out of drive...
but I do leave the engine brake on all the time, so IF there is a panic stop in my future, it really brings me down quickly, surprisingly so!

and personally I can go from accelerator to brake in less than a second, so am not losing much 'braking time' letting the tranny do it...

in fact, the tranny is downshifting as soon as I let off the fuel before I even get on the brake... BUT, I do usually leave enough space to stop normally, that's just me..
and, for now, we can still drive however we want to drive our stuff
Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #41

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
i've come this decision...some drive there rigs and some just sit behind the wheel...
LOL .... You sure that's not a 'conclusion'?

Yep, you've taught us a lot in your first week of DP ownership !!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Dude .... park the snark.

It just doesn't have the affect you're hoping for when you try to deliver it in a grammatically incorrect zinger.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote