Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I took my coach to an Allison shop and had them reprogram which gear was selected when the Jake Brake engaged. Changed it from second to sixth. It took about 30 minutes and cost about $40 as I recall. It is absolutely the best modification I have done to our coach, and there have been many mods.

Now when I slow down with the Jake engaged, it will shift down to the next lower gear when the RPM drops to 1,000. It makes the Jake Brake much more usable in every situation.

Our coach has a 2-stage compression brake, not an exhaust brake. I think this can be done on any coach with an Allison transmission.
Thank you, Rich! I like that idea. I would much prefer downshifting myself when using the engine brake. Too often it wants to migrate down to 2nd gear when I don't need (or want) that much engine braking.
I'll definatly place that on my list of future "upgrades" whenever I get finished with my seemingly endless list of new coach fixes

cheers,
Joopy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #44

Driving a DP in the city...

Given the wide range of ways the Allison transimission is programmed. I can see that there would be variation in how each individual drives there coach to potentially achieve the same results as someone else.
Making an assumption that all coaches are created equal and drive the same would not be a logical.........

Old 06-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
post not to me but, here's my answer, mine is the same as yours, the thing that happens when I down shift it say's what gear,...IE if I down shift to 4th is says 4th and doesn't shift higher.... if i'm in 6th and wanna stop from 45 it has to go through all the motions of 6th to 5th to 4th...... if i'm in 4th I have way better engine braking... I also have the dual stage brake....

those of you that haven't tried it and don't wanna ... i'm ok with it ..those of you that do try it I think will like the results...I have friends that are OTR drivers and a bunch that drive big rigs in the city.... they all say the same thing... do what ever it takes to be able to stop quicker and easier..
My rig is not that heavy. My average weight is 25k for the coach and another 4-5k for the toad. Based on the comments I'm reading it seems braking is the driving force for all the manual shifting in city driving not lack of power do to gearing issues in auto. If that's the argument for manual shifting in city driving I can see that. Just not needed in my case. Maybe because I'm fairly light with good brakes. If I find myself in a situation that needs quicker stopping in city driving as in keeping my speed up while exiting the freeway and then slowing on the exit ramp I always select the airbrake and brake as needed. On mine there is complete and total control this way and it's a smooth transition. If I was driving a heavy rig and needed better braking or power control I would manually shift. Just don't see it's needed in my case.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Dude .... park the snark.

It just doesn't have the affect you're hoping for when you try to deliver it in a grammatically incorrect zinger.
long as you know what i mentI have 4 kinds and 7 grand kids...I don't to say a word or write a note and they know...

and no idea what park the snark means...no one I know or hang with has ever said that
Old 06-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree!

The question the OP ask's about driving light to light in city traffic, my transmission wouldn't get above 3rd or 4th gear, without me touching a thing. So basically, he's doing manually, what mine is doing on it's own!
In the mountains, I do usually manually shift gears, to keep the rpm's where I want them.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I agree!

The question the OP ask's about driving light to light in city traffic, my transmission wouldn't get above 3rd or 4th gear, without me touching a thing. So basically, he's doing manually, what mine is doing on it's own!
In the mountains, I do usually manually shift gears, to keep the rpm's where I want them.
what mine does is if i stay at an even speed it will up shift..then with the controller the down shifts are way more than needed ...
seems to run way smoother on the stop and goes if it isn't in to high of gear...

and the ac blows colder
Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #49

Quote:
good to hear,jealous about the powel trip wanna go back there bad..

wanna take the boat and stay at waweep

have you drove you MH from havasu to topoc lately?????
Stayed at the RV park there last year but no boat. Had the Harley along on our way to Sturgis. Really enjoyed the stay there. We plan on going back on the way to Moab with the RV/jeep at some point. We will be going to Sedona in September as Gina and I are getting married.

The RV is at my office in SO CA plugged in, serviced, washed and biting at the bit to get on the road....lol

I have only been thru LHC twice this year and it was just a passing thru situation in the truck. We live out on the Tonto Forest area in the N Scottsdale area so going to LHC isn't really convenient.

You got the time so make it happen to Powell. Just a beautiful lake.

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
Stayed at the RV park there last year but no boat. Had the Harley along on our way to Sturgis. Really enjoyed the stay there. We plan on going back on the way to Moab with the RV/jeep at some point. We will be going to Sedona in September as Gina and I are getting married.

The RV is at my office in SO CA plugged in, serviced, washed and biting at the bit to get on the road....lol

I have only been thru LHC twice this year and it was just a passing thru situation in the truck. We live out on the Tonto Forest area in the N Scottsdale area so going to LHC isn't really convenient.

You got the time so make it happen to Powell. Just a beautiful lake.
Congrats on getting married, She's avery fine beautiful lady with lots of class..you should have married her the day you met

when I met sue I told my uncle... she gonna be my next wife..
Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #51

Quote:
do you have a 6 speed and 1200 ft lbs of tq?
LVRVLUVR
Yes my coach has an Allison 6 speed transmission.
No I don't have 1200 ft lbs of tq.

The 250HP caterpillar engine in my coach develops 800 foot/pounds of torque @ 2200 RPM).

What does that have to do with "Driving a DP in the city"?
Wondering.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #52

Same here, just press the "D" button and let the computer in the Allison decide. Got me thru downtown rush hour in Boston. You need to pay attention to traffic! Not what gear your in!

JUST DON'T GET STUCK IN AN INTERSECTION WHEN THE LIGHT TURNS RED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Allison is a smart transmission. I put it in "D" and let it do it's thing!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
LVRVLUVR
Yes my coach has an Allison 6 speed transmission.
No I don't have 1200 ft lbs of tq.

The 250HP caterpillar engine in my coach develops 800 foot/pounds of torque @ 2200 RPM).

What does that have to do with "Driving a DP in the city"?
Wondering.

Mel
'96 Safari
I think the 400 ft lb will put you in a highter gear sooner.. that and a smaller coach with less weight..
Old 06-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #54

Quote:
when in city traffic and driving light to light. what gear do you use...

I use 4th it runs the fan faster and in the heat of vegas, keeps the motor cool

it never goes over 1500 rpms...

some say leave it in 6th... but to me it seems to stop easier and quicker if in 4th...

what say you ??

oh, and I did the same with my 6speed gas motor...
this was the og post.. never said lets argue,never said you have to, never said it was best...

it says seems to me.....and does anyone find this to be true
Old 06-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #55

Quote:
Congrats on getting married, She's avery fine beautiful lady with lots of class..you should have married her the day you met

when I met sue I told my uncle... she gonna be my next wife..
Thank you Steve. I appreciate that. She had a 3 year trial period so after we got past her timeframe i extended it another year before asking her. To keep her on her toes and all

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
what mine does is if i stay at an even speed it will up shift..then with the controller the down shifts are way more than needed ...
seems to run way smoother on the stop and goes if it isn't in to high of gear...

and the ac blows colder
If you want the AC to blow colder do it if it works for you. Around town our transmission does get above 4 unless I have it on econo mode. Regular it stays in 4 or less.