Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
So doesn't 600HP and 60K lbs.....geeeeeezzzzzhhhhhh!
It slows down a bit when he pulls his 14,000# enclosed trailer with the Jeep and car inside.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #16

I drive a 2007 National Surfside and couldn't care less about MPG. Does anybody really think a Newall owner even gives it a second thought?
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #17

Many years ago I was parked in the campground at the NASCAR track in Richmond. Ernie Irvan's brand new Newell was parked in the same lot. I was talking with his driver and he mentioned that he had been an OTR driver for 25 years before getting the job as Irvan's driver. I commented that it must be nice to drive something like that now. He said that it was actually harder to drive at first because of the computer controlled suspension. He got no feedback from the road and had to relearn 25 years of experience. He said he was halfway across the country before he finally got comfortable with it. Like he said if someone spends nearly 2 million they don't want to feel bumps from potholes or leans in curves.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
That’s awesome you got to drive a Newell!
Just to know what’s possible.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Lets see some pics of it! I haven't drooled for a while.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Lets see some pics of it! I haven't drooled for a while.
Sorry about no pics. I put it back in his RV garage with his trailer. I don't know if I'm allowed to get it back out on my own without permission.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Sorry about no pics. I put it back in his RV garage with his trailer. I don't know if I'm allowed to get it back out on my own without permission.
Kids are kinda like that at times....
And yes driving one of the very top tier coaches can be daunting the first time...
Then you start comparing features, build qualities and drive ability with your present coach....
In our case a P-30 chassis with a Thor "wanna be" coach mounted to it....
It didn't take long (3 or 4 more trips in old coach)...and lost all pride in our P-30 ride

Spent the kid's inheritance..........
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A steerable tag doesn’t decrease the turning radius...it’s steerable because lifting would put 15,000+ lbs on the 24K rear axle (39,000 lbs). Even a tag that does not lift or steer does not affect the turning radius enough to notice...4 tires with 20K on them are going to win over 2 with 7-8,000 lbs on them.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
A steerable tag doesn’t decrease the turning radius...it’s steerable because lifting would put 15,000+ lbs on the 24K rear axle (39,000 lbs). Even a tag that does not lift or steer does not affect the turning radius enough to notice...4 tires with 20K on them are going to win over 2 with 7-8,000 lbs on them.
Sorry to disagree with you, but I have watched him backup. When he turned the steering to the right, the tag turned the opposite way and I could see the tag help pull the rear to the right. So I know it helps in the turns and I can feel it when I turn compared to my Bus. His 16,000# tag has 14,500# on it so it can can have an effect on a turn.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #24

Crasher,

We looked very hard at Newell when we were thinking of changing coaches. We toured the Newell factory and display coaches in Miami, OK, and a little later toured a show coach in Indio, CA, at the Motorcoach County Club.

Newell's are very nice with so many configurations from front door entry or a mid door entry, etc. I've always heard that Newell's were heavy weighing at 60,000+ lbs.,

At the same resort where we saw the Newell, two other companies were displaying Prevost show coaches (Marathon and Liberty Coach). Continuing my research, we ended up leaning towards the Prevost. Ours was completed in November of '14.

The Newell's have two choices for side mirror location; the base up high (basically the mirror is upside down) or the base at the belt-line at the front (like you see on most coaches). If one chooses the upper installation, the passenger side sunshade is 12-18 inches too short in width to reach the A-pillar (will not block the sun). The reason is that the driver's view of the mirror can't be blocked. The belt-line mirror installation has full width sunshades which is what I would have chosen.

The bifold cargo doors were hard for me to open/operate, not sure why, it was probably me.

Otherwise, the fit and finish were amazing on the Newell and I know that your son/family will have many years of enjoyment.

Every coach manufacturer has it's compromises. Newell's offer exterior window awnings whereas Prevost's do not. The largest engine in a Prevost is the 500 hp Volvo with 1,750 lb. ft. of torque as the cradle will not accommodate the large Volvo engine. Our experience is that it is adequate for our 55,500 lb. coach.

Safe travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #25

My son looked at Foretravel before settling on the Newell. The Prevost conversions are all very nice, but I don't think he had an opportunity to look closely at them. When they had so many things wrong with their '16 Mountain Aire, Newell was the only one they wanted. He still has the business to run and only goes on a couple of trips with it along with a few short local runs, so it's going to last them a while. They had the factory change the seating in the living room to their liking, so it's pretty much what they want now. I'm still amazed with the technology designed into it. It is several steps above the mass production motorhomes on the market.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Sorry to disagree with you, but I have watched him backup. When he turned the steering to the right, the tag turned the opposite way and I could see the tag help pull the rear to the right. So I know it helps in the turns and I can feel it when I turn compared to my Bus. His 16,000# tag has 14,500# on it so it can can have an effect on a turn.
Sorry to disagree...turning the steering wheel does not make the tag steer until you move and then it is the drive axle that makes it steer so it does not help it turn other than not skidding the tires sideways. Look at the tierod on the tag, it’s spring loaded to help keep it center. We are splitting hairs here but there is no physical connection between the steering wheel and the tag’s steering.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #27

I think Newell is the the only RV company that builds their own frame. They are more like a custom built house and less like a tract house. For that reason it would take a long time to make all of the decisions needed. I would place them squarely at the top of the motor home builders pyramid. How Its Made had a show about them and it was very interesting. Nothing I am interested in personally but they have a devout following for a very good reason.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Sorry to disagree...turning the steering wheel does not make the tag steer until you move and then it is the drive axle that makes it steer so it does not help it turn other than not skidding the tires sideways. Look at the tierod on the tag, it’s spring loaded to help keep it center. We are splitting hairs here but there is no physical connection between the steering wheel and the tag’s steering.
You are talking about a "Passive" steering tag like Newmar has on their '16 and newer tag coaches. The Newell has an "Active steering tag. Sitting still, when the steering wheel is turned to the right, the tag wheels turn to the left before the coach moves. That is "Active" steering. A big difference in turning.