Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: canada
Posts: 9
Driving an imported RV back to Canada

A question for anyone who has some insight. I have purchased a used motorhome in Florida and am wondering if i need some sort of Florida temporary licence permit or tag in order to drive this motorhome back to Ontario? Has anybody done this before. I have read that some people have tried to get a tag but the DOT in Florida wanted them to pay sales tax on the purchase price. I dont want to take any chances. Thanks

staaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
Ray,IN's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,925
It's my understanding Florida collects sales tax on every purchase. Most major RV dealers offer an option to take delivery out-of-state to legally avoid paying FL sales tax. There is a detailed explanation of this subject over on the escapees.com RV forums. These dealerships also provide all documentation for Canadians importing RV's.

Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,495
Don't know about Florida but many states offer temporary 30 day transit tags for out of state destined vehicles. I did this in Vermont. Suggest you contact Florida DMV.

I presume you have checked all Canadian import regs and requirements. The purchased RV must be on the import list.

Plus US designated US border post must have your registration certificate several days in advance to validate ownership and that it is free of any encumberence.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
chuckinthebus's Avatar
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,750
We bought ours a couple years back from a private seller in FL and he loaned us his tag to get back to TN. Mailed his tag back. Paid sales tax in TN when registering and tagging it.
Chuck, Sara (RVM 50.5) & Chopper (the fuzzy 1)
2003 DSDP w/2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2 Kayaks & 2 bikes. Living and Loving life.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Ubetcha's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
We bought ours in california and had it delivered to Reno. Where we drove it home from. We bought a permit that was good for 6 months. Before we went to get we had to get permits for the provinces we were going to be driving in which was Alberta and Saskatchewan were we live. If you don't have it set up before you get to the border you will have no insurance as the united states permit is only good in the US. Also you will need to have your papers in order to get across border and have a safety done when you get home
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Hi there, you don't need anything from the US just get a 7 day temporary license from Canada. That's it. I brought several MH's over.
Hope that helps.
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: canada
Posts: 9
I called service ontario M of T and was told you need a temporary permit from the state where the RV was purchased. Called Florida DMV and they told me that i could get a temporary permit but they would charge me 6% sales tax. The lady i was talking to didn't sound to sure of herself. Do they hassle you at the border if you use the previous owners Florida plates to drive it home?
Thanks, Staaly
staaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
bluepill's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,285
In the USA, most states will credit the sales tax that you paid to the state where the purchase was made. Example: Bought in Fla, and paid their 6% tax there, then paid only the additional 2% in New York (they charge 8%) when I registered it there. Possibly Canada does the same?

Only works to your benefit if the final location is the same or higher than the purchase state.

Another thought: There maybe an "agent" in Canada that can process the paperwork for you. They will register it in Canada and pay whatever taxes and fees are owed, then overnight the tags to you in Florida.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
vermilye's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oswego, NY
Posts: 384
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
You might want to visit this site prior to your purchase to be sure it can be imported.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
Francesca's Avatar
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post

Another thought: There maybe an "agent" in Canada that can process the paperwork for you. They will register it in Canada and pay whatever taxes and fees are owed, then overnight the tags to you in Florida.
This is in my opinion the best advice, and if you, O.P., are still IN Canada you might be able to set this up yourself before you pick up the moho.


I hope you checked it out through Transport Canada prior to purchase to make sure that it's importable to begin with. Evidently, there are rules about that...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
bruceisla's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cross Hill,SC - on the road again
Posts: 5,519
You could purchase Canada tags or:

Temporary Tag

You would need to pay tax in an amount equal to whatever tax would be imposed in Canada.

Assuming the former owner provided you with a Florida Title at the time of sale, the vehicle no longer belongs to that party (the seller). The Florida tags stay with the former owner and are no longer valid on the vehicle that has been sold .... and insurance?
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba
Posts: 390
Here in Manitoba, one just purchases a 5 day temporary permit(about $40)and
$8/day for additional days required up to 30 days.(which included optional $5million
liability/$200 deductible,etc) It was good for all states & here. They required a copy of the Bill of Sale and Title of the RV. This sticker was put on passenger lower right windshield when unit was picked up , that was all. Here may be different as our government insurance/registration is under the same "roof". From what I've read, having the unit delivered outside of Florida may be the only way to avoid their state sales tax.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci
Workhorse W22 FMCA # F431548
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
bgsc's Avatar
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Home is were we park it
Posts: 290
Would suggest you get a customs broker to handle the import for you, this in most cases will cost approx 200.00 plus any mandatory fees that you would have to pay any way, you will need a hydro check and approval, a safety check and possibly an emission check, good luck
Barry and Glennice, Kit and Kaboodle (Lhaso Apso's)
2008 Winnebago Tour WD, GMC Terrain toad
bgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
bobmac's Avatar
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,035
It's really no big deal to import. Take delivery out of Florida or any other state that charges tax for vehicles leaving the state. Make sure the vehicle is on the Transport Canada list of importable vehicles. You definitely do not need a customs broker just a chequebook to pay the GST component at the border. You cannot get tags in ON or pre- register the vehicle until it is inspected so forget about that option. The major border crossings do several RVs each week so you will be through as quickly as you can pay the tax. Read and re-read the RIV process and consider how you will get recall clearance documents for the chassis and coach on a used vehicle - that will likely be your only challenge. You will need DRLs also for the inspection.
Just be thankful that you didn't buy from the dealer who provided the false information. The Transport Canada requirement is that the RV be built to a "standard" and the US built RVs are built to the RIVA standard that is comparable to the Canadian standard. No one involved in the Canadian Standards "industry" will ever acknowledge that - they strive to create differences so they will still have a job. Motor vehicle standards were largely harmonized several years ago and the result is lower priced vehicles in Canada. Hopefully it will happen to RV standards in the years ahead.

09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.