Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Driving Class A

I have seen in the past clips on driving. ie parking, turning etc. Can someone direct me to them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just go to you tube and search for it. There are a bazillion different videos utilizing different techniques.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Here's one
http://youtu.be/GhtuETqUuic
Old 01-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
I have seen in the past clips on driving. ie parking, turning etc. Can someone direct me to them?
RV Driving For Beginners: All The Best Tips You Need To Drive An RV For The First Time | Fun Times Guide to RVing

Scroll down the page to the video.

My first 36' class a dp was purchased in Mass. I had hills and narrow roads to test drive on. I had no problems.

Rule of thumb: Make figure 8 turns in an empty large parking lot. Use the lamp posts and other obstetrical your practice guides to learn how to judge distance and position. I tight right had turns I have learned to use the right hand mirror to see how my back end is tracking. Each rig is different. Inherent turning radius and wheel base length are a big consideration.

Why do you ask? My DW refuses to drive our rig but I know many ladies that have no problem. It is all a point of self confidence and good spacial judgement.

Your two must learn items are air breaks and engine breaking/max rpm on a diesel.

On a side note, backing up with your tow hooked up is a in any circumstance. I have cheated back a couple of feet but no more.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Changing from a C to an A. Good videos.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Info for all vehicles, including Class A's. There is no need for a front tire blowout to cause a crash. Have fun shopping.

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've had a RF tire blow out...the last thing I wanted was more speed/thrust as mentioned in the Michelin video.

The Michelin video sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration. It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

As long as you didn't crash, then you proved the point.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Info for all vehicles, including Class A's. There is no need for a front tire blowout to cause a crash. Have fun shopping.

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
Had the Michelin front right tire blowout. No crash. $17K+ of body damage from the tire. Simple rule to follow when this happens: Let off the fuel peddle and coast to the side of the road before applying the break GENTILITY.

If I had a TSPS at the time I may have had a warning the tire was about to fail.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
DW and I were both volunteer fire fighters and took a fire truck driving course. Our 39' discovery is remarkably like the fire engine at the VFD. DW is 5' tall, but has confidence driving the MH because we went through a class with backing around corners (simulated by cones) and taking curves while avoiding hitting the curb.

Look on youtube for fire truck drivers training (in addition to RV driver training). There are a ton of videos.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As s lady who drives a lot of the time, I Started out in a big parking lot with a 36' Winnebago -parking, backing and turns. Then took short drives on the highway until I got comfortable with it. We Recently upgraded to a 43' tag and it is a pleasure to drive.
Good luck!!!

Dianne.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #13

Here's a pretty solid series that breaks down the basics of driving a large class A rig.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your two must learn items are air breaks and engine breaking/max rpm on a diesel.

Yes, it is important to understand the air BRAKES and engine BRAKE because if you don't you could BREAK them.

Rich

Tags
class a