Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
There is nothing worse than a empty semi on winter roads, there is no traction and braking is really bad, they are nothing short of a 30,000# tobaggon! due to being 50,000# light on the suspension, where most Coaches are just about loaded to thier limit but also do not have the right tires for winter driving. but the trucking industry does not shutdown in the winter, sure there are accidents associated with the winter driving but that comes with it. If you are not worried about the salt and grime on your equipment go for it. I am sure that there are folks on here that have traveled a lot on winter roads going skiing, snowmobiling,camping, etc. and they just slow down and adapt to the driving conditions like we do in our auto's. For me, I don't drive my Coach in the winter due to the salt on the roads and cinders.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #30

Owned towing service in Iowa! Only MH we saw out in snow, We were pulling them out of ditches OR towing them from accidents ! I now have 34 ft MH and would Never drive on any snow, MH like out of control roller skate on even a little ice or packed snow! Good luck,
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #31

I like the super Z cable chains. Less weight & easier to install. I lost control with a Crown bus on wet road. No diesel on the road is built like that except a Prevost. Plus I lost steering in front due to wet road.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #32

We drove our National 34 through some heavy snow in Flagstaff Arizona. The MH drove really nice but I did travel slower than a car. I stayed at 45MPH untill I got down the hill. The worst thing was the big trucks passing us throwing up all the dirty ice. Keep it slow.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #33

Drove up I-25 in January in snow up to Pueblo and not much fun, went about 30 mph and the wind was blowing too. If we didn't have to get home would of stayed down south longer for good roads.

I see three choices:

1. Don't go until comfortable/sure
2. Drive slow to more insure success
3. Drive fast and raise your expectations for a new motorhome

I may have missed something.