Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
That picture looks like it might be a little deceiving, as if I look at the fireplug it looks like the slope is more significant than it does closer.

Depending how much you might scrap, you can consider adding some metal scrape wheels to the rear bottom of your frame. I added two 10K wheels to mine as I have an area of my drive down by the street where I can scrape if I don't hit it just right.

DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
Forest River Owners Club
Most DP have a sizable overhang - 4'+.... My 38' has an almost 5' overhang and from the looks of the picture you included that could possibly be an issue for you so the earlier suggestion of "trying before buying" is totally correct....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #17
A lot of times if you cut the corner instead of making a sharp turn it helps as you lessen the differential in height between the front wheels and back wheels and the rear end which MIGHT lessen chances of dragging. Pictures are deceiving, but your intersection looks like it will work.
My RV garage next to my house has a much steeper decline than what yours looks like and I don't drag at all. 39' Winnebago Forza DP.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #18

Thanks for all your input. It would be nice if I knew someone who had a 38 and would stop by
rhrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #19
I have the same issue with my driveway. I would scrap the concrete when backing in or scrap the street if I would enter nose first. I had to create an additional driveway with stone which was more forgiving. I would DEFINITELY do a test run before purchasing. Also consider your weight When you do a test run. I actually got stuck once when leaving for a trip because I was fully loaded with fuel and supplies. Your coach selection may be narrowed but some coaches do have a beveled back end. Also look into a tag axle.
2015 Entegra Aspire
Manzfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #20
Had problems in two different places that I stay at each summer with staging l found large heavy duty Castor's at an RV store made for this very problem of rear end drag. THEY WORK GREAT.
MikeMerru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To get into our rear yard storage/parking we make a right turn from the street into DG driveway with about a 3' rise in 20'. I made the incline as low angle as possible. We have had three motorhomes, only the current Phaeton scrapes a bit on the left rear if not going very slowly. My son has a 32' or so coach that won't make it at all - the towing hitch get solidly grounded. My point being it can very much differ coach to coach. The only way to know is to try - carefully. But from just looking at the picture I think you will be ok.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
Before building a garage next to the house we bought half way up the mountain, I drove the MH in to make sure. I drove very slowly with a trusted other RVer walking alongside and watching. If we approached a problem that looked like we wouldn't clear (we didn't have the problem) we could have backed out.
Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #23
Rear end drag

Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Function of overhang from rear wheels. If it is a sudden transition you might drag the rear. Some units have skid plates, but not a great solution for frequent use. I would definitely try it out before finalizing the deal - have the salesman bring it over.
Our rig is all air, going up steep driveways, when back end drags, I can lift with air bags until drag clears, can lift 6" - 8" if needed....and this feature is a godsend cause accessing even some parking lots will drag...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	140458  
zajobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would get out of the car at that corner and take a close look at the roadway. If other vehicles have had scrapping problems it will leave marks in the pavement. Not a final test by any means but pretty easy to do.
Carter with Patty from Kirkland, WA
'01 Southwind 32V - F53 V10 with '12 Ford Focus automatic 4 down & US Gear aux brake
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #25
Judging from the photo you provided, the incline doesn't look excessive for a DP. The concern that I have is whether or not there is a hump in the road further up that may cause a low ground clearance concern. If you have a long wheel base (axle spread) you may scuff the bottom of the coach. Depending on the coach's air ride system, you most likely will have the ability to raise the coach to ground clearance with the press of a button. The back ends of most DPs are designed in a way to clear inclines depending of course on the incline. You may have to remove the swinging mud flap at the very back of the coach, usually a 5-10 minute process and re-attach when you come back down the driveway. Good lock.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #26
Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See if you can remove the hitch receiver temporarily. That's what makes contact on mine at steep inclines.
2003 Scepter 40PDBB - Roadmaster rr8s - Cummins ISC350 - suspension mods to come.
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
This is something I would worry about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475448252979.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	140500  
2014 Berkshire 390RB
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #28

Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
I would get out of the car at that corner and take a close look at the roadway. If other vehicles have had scrapping problems it will leave marks in the pavement. Not a final test by any means but pretty easy to do.

Exactly MY thought! We have a 2001 Dutch Star, 38.5', no tag axle, and that turn looks like a piece of cake to me. What does the turn into your driveway look like? Also, are you planning on pulling a toad? Might want to look at the height of the tow bar as well. Good luck!

By the way, where ARE you? (state, town)

Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

class a