Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Driving during crosswinds

Hello, I own a Itasca Sunstar 26P 2011. In order to improve driving during crosswinds that, did you? Would you recommend air balloons or Safe T plus? or both? Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle View Post
Hello, I own a Itasca Sunstar 26P 2011. In order to improve driving during crosswinds that, did you? Would you recommend air balloons or Safe T plus? or both? Thank you
I hate to be the bearer of bad news,BUT the problem is the large overhang on gas Motorhomes. You can add thousands of dollars of patches that may or may not help, but as long as the large overhang remains it will always be tailhappy. I have tried everything when I had a gas coach and I got it handleing pretty well. It was good but still uncomfortable in a strong crosswind. One thing that will help alot and doesn't cost anything is to keep your rear tires pumped up to the sidewall rating. It will ride hard but will really help in crosswinds.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi estelle,
Welcome to iRV2. My assumption is that the chassis has been checked out by qualified techs and everything is correct. One can improve the handling of their coach. Will it be enough improvement to make you a happy camper? Unfortunately, only you will be able to answer that question. Determine if you coach has any of these features. If it does not, consider what they do and if you feel it will help.

1. Track Bar (rear)
2. Anti sway bar (front and/or rear)
3. steering stabilizer (front)

Adding air suspension is really expensive. It may not help in cross winds. If you decide to add after market devices, do one at a time. Use the coach for a while to understand the improvement, if any.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the cross winds are severe the only solution is to park it and wait it out.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well for the first time I sort of disagree.
We have a 2007 39 ft Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Gas rig on a Workhorse W24 chassis.
Crosswinds are a problem of course, and it will never be a nice as the Prevost I saw going down the road this morning at 70 mph. That rig tracked really well - and for only a million plus dollars.

We improved our ride by a good margin, and plan to do more.
1. Replaced Bilstein gas factory shocks with Koni FSD shocks. About 600 bucks but VERY helpful. A major difference.
2. Ride was better, but still wind gusts were bad. Added a front trac bar. I hoped it would help some but it actually help a lot. A whole lot. I can now drive on windy days more comfortably. It still requires steering corrections, but they are minor and I stopped sweating.

Additionally:
We plan a rear trac bar and a rear sway bar. I am certain after that she will still not be perfect or even as good as a nice DP, but for the dollars it will be a good rig we can relax in and enjoy.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a thread that discusses the issue . Do a search for:
Class A handling

06-08-2010in detail
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to be construed as a naysayer but the point I was trying to make is the ratio to coach length and the wheelbase has everything to do with how well the coach handles in a cross wind. A bus has the axels at both ends of the vehicle and it is very stable in cross winds. The longer the coach hangs out behind the rear axle the worse it will perform in a cross wind. You can pour lots of money into the suspension and get it to handle somewhat better but it will always be tailhappy. The shorter the overhang the better the handeling.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
First off, welcome to the iRV2 gang. Some most helpful folks here.

We had the same problems with crosswinds. The first thing I'd go with is a rear trac bar. I installed a BlueOx TigerTrac because I liked it's construction...the results were amazing and took so much of the 'tail wag' out that we are forgoing the front end 'fixes'. We also installed ft./rear Koni FSDs (our coach was 5 years old at the time)and that cured the 'porpoising' effect at bridge and pavement section expansion joints.

With your MH being new, I would think the rear trac bar would give you the best bang for the buck in helping with your crosswind correction problem. With the shorter wheel based gas MHs, I'm not sure you'll be able to completely eliminate crosswind correction, but it'll sure help...it's kinda the nature of the beast. Good luck, Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The 26' is you biggest problem. Yes overhang on a gas rig dosn't help but our 35' gas class a handles just fine on its Ford F53 chassis. Its no only the lack of over hang on the diesels its the extra 10,000 lbs that cost thousands per pound.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
In addition to the rear trac bar, I would suggest a steering stabilizer for the front end. Safe T Plus and Steer Safe both work well, it's just different ways to handle the same thing.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
The 26' is you biggest problem. Yes overhang on a gas rig dosn't help but our 35' gas class a handles just fine on its Ford F53 chassis. Its no only the lack of over hang on the diesels its the extra 10,000 lbs that cost thousands per pound.
HUH ?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #12

Thank you very much to all of you.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #13

The absolute best (IMHO) thing to use in high winds is due diligence.

Ed
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
HUH ?
a $10 Million plus coach, I guess it's possible.......

Ok, maybe a bit of an exageration in his cost number.. But the extra weight of a comparable length/height (surface exposed to crosswinds) DP vs a gas coach should better offset effects of winds. Generally.

Force=Mass X Acceleration >>>>>>> Acc = Force / Mass

so if Force (wind pressure) is the same, and Mass is greater, then Acc (movement sideways) should be less.

(I am already regretting posting this, thinking of the corrections I will get...)

Now, can someone explain why I always seem to be driving INTO the wind, regardless of day or direction???

safe travels

jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote