Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #1

Driving in the wind

We got our Bounder about a month ago and so far I find driving it fun. But on windy days it's a handful, and it seems we've had a lot of those lately. We haven't canceled any weekend trips yet, but we postponed leaving on one occasion.

How big a factor is the wind when driving your rig? Have you ever adjusted your plans due to wind? What's your threshold (MPH)?

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #2

It's just something you'll learn to deal with. The worst is a side wind. How is it I can NEVER get a strong wind to come from the rear to help push us along?

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #3

There is nothing finer than a flat stretch of HI way with a thirty mile an hour tail wind!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #4

High cross winds and heavy rain are perfect reasons to cocoon for a while in the MH. Otherwise slow down until comfortable.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I drive a big, heavy coach that does amazingly well in crosswind (as opposed to my old Pace Arrow which was a nightmare in the same conditions). Nonetheless, if I don't have to be anywhere, anything above about a 20 mph crosswind/headwind is enough for me to wait. As already noted, a tailwind is always appreciated!
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
windy conditions don't really bother me when driving.......even gust's up to 35 mph are manageable..............just slow down a bit until you are comfortable and I try to stay off interstate highways.............I added a blue ox tru center stabilizer, which helped a lot...........where I don't like the wind is when parked..............if wind is going to be over 20 mph, the slides do not come out.............don't want to risk damage to slide toppers............
Old 04-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Slightly off-topic. My '99 Safari TREK, like other gassers, has a long overhang, a big vertical "Sail area" for wind to blow against, and leaf spring rear suspension; all factors that contribute to instability in windy conditions. I added a rear track bar (Panhard bar) a few years ago, and this made a significant improvement in stability during side winds. We drove along Interstate 10 in Florida the year of the East coast tornadoes, and the track bar cost was worth every penny

We have never experienced winds of sufficient velocity to stop driving, but have battled headwinds strong enough that the coach had difficulty maintaining highway speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
...How big a factor is the wind when driving your rig? Have you ever adjusted your plans due to wind? What's your threshold (MPH)?

Charlie
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

The first day I drove my Bounder home, I had a 40 MPH crosswind. I wish I had had a spare change of underware. Once I got my suspension dialed in it was much more pleasant. Tires, shocks and most important air bags and proper inflation.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A rear track bar definitely helped the windy days for our rig. Slowing down will help a bunch. Amazing even slowing down 5 mph will make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Track bars, AKA pan head bars, front and rear will help tame the ride. Notice a big improvement in general stability with the addition of a rear bar on my 06 F53 chassis. Not just with the wind and pass trucks pushing me around but a much better response to steering inputs and maintaining lane position.

Never good to be on the road and white knuckle driving. Find a rest stop, bring the generator on line, watch a movie, have a meal, read a book, relax and wait it out.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

The second day we had our new to us 40' DP we were leaving Cheyenne WY and came to a road sign that said "56+MPH gusts, unladen trailers not advised". They were right...slowed down from 65 to 35 (like everyone else on the road) and spent the next two hours white knuckling it until we got out of the wind. No where to really pull over safely. The gusts were pushing everyone onto the shoulder so it wasn't safe and no rest areas. I did not know better as previously we had Airstream trailers which do fine in wind. Now I am OK up to the 30mph gust range, anything over that I stay put. Gusts are MUCH worse than constant side wind of the same velocity due to the constant, sometimes somewhat rapid steering corrections you have to make
Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
What chassis do you have? You can make things better.

As mentioned above, a rear track bar will do wonders. If you are on a Ford chassis, I would also recommend the "chf".

If you have more money burning a hole in your pocket you can also do sumo springs or air bags.

It won't handle like a dp with air ride but a lot of us have our gassers handling pretty good after a bit of work.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

Yep, check on your chassis (F53 or Workhorse) forum of tips on logical steps to make.

But first thing to do, if not already done, is a four corner weight and set our tire to the Manufactures PSI recommendations. That is free! My favorite price.

Also, I had very good results with Airtabs on my 1998, on a 1999 F53 chassis, T28 Bounder. The Airtabs really helped in the shifting cross winds, and as the bow of the air wave of a truck was coming up to pass, and then the sucking you back in after they clear your front end, effect.

And more for emergency handling assistance in case of a flat tire blowout, the Safety-T-Plus can also help on the winds too.

A call to Henderson's Lineup, can also provide good advice on helping handling.

We're all willing to help you spend our money!

Best,
Smitty
Old 04-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Track bars, AKA pan head bars, front and rear will help tame the ride. Notice a big improvement in general stability with the addition of a rear bar on my 06 F53 chassis. Not just with the wind and pass trucks pushing me around but a much better response to steering inputs and maintaining lane position.

Never good to be on the road and white knuckle driving. Find a rest stop, bring the generator on line, watch a movie, have a meal, read a book, relax and wait it out.
I'm considering the FRONT and rear track bars...starting in 2014, Ford did the front track bars standard on the bigger chassis, but on my 16K, it was optional. Thor, of course, thought saving me $400 was more important than the occasional crosswind or large truck......

I was heading to Maine last year and a sudden front came through in Massachusetts and there were sudden gusts of wind and then driving rain....I was pushed over a lane before I even realized it. I slowed WAAAAAY down and still wrestled my coach for another 5 or 6 miles looking for a place to pull-off. As suddenly as it came up, the gusts were gone and we traveled through driving, torrential rain for another 20 minutes with no place to pull off.

So the Trac bars, I think, and either the CHF or Sumo Springs next.

Hey LUVR....you did the CHF AND Sumos at one point - and reversed the CHF back to stock. Did you find the Sumos were the equivalent of the CHF? Had more benefits? Superior? and in what way (or not)?