Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Driving late model vs 97 f53

Our bounder is the only rv I've ever driven, so I have nothing to compare it to. We've had the front end checked and all was ok except steering stabilizer which we replaced with a bilstein. Tires are fine, proper inflation. To me it drives ok, but definitely not like a car. It requires significantly more attention. For my dad, he feels driving it more than 200 miles wears him out. Me, I'm fine with that distance but am a bit concerned about being behind the wheel driving 10 hours to Orlando. (I'd have absolutely no problem with that distance or more in the car)

How much better will a newer gasser with 22.5 wheels and the wider track drive down the interstate? (our bounder has 16s and the narrow track )

Would a 30 footer drive any better than our 36?

Finally, since we like the bounder floor plan, would a 2002 bounder 39z diesel drive significantly better than our bounder?

Thanks for the opinions!

1998 Fleetwood Bounder 36s...F53 TAG with 460 v8 55,000 miles. master tow dolly. 2 furkids
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The new Ford chassis is a world of difference from the earlier chassis and the 22.5 wheels a part of that but more for weight capacity. I have one and can tell you there is no wondering and driving one handed is no problem. Haven't driven one but the Bounder diesel probably handles pretty nice.

2015, HR Ambassador 38DBT / 2006 Jeep TJ Towd
340 Cummins / Freightliner Chassis
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
I had a 1997 Holiday Rambler 32' on the ford chassis with 16" wheels. I now drive a 1998 GeogieBoy 3590 on the freightliner chassis with 22.5' wheels.

It's like day and night! Took two hands to drive the Ford. We put all new shocks, tires, and bushing on it. Still a two hander! The Freightliner chassis with 22.5 handles great!. One hand on the wheel most the time. Even has a tighter turning radius too!

You might be able to get your Ford to handle better by adding 22.5" wheels. But the tire cost twice as much as the 16 or 19"s
2003 GBM Pursuit 35' F53 Chassis
SuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Thanks the responses. I NOW know dads reason for asking the original questions, specifically the shorter length. He ran up over large rock with the left rear at crackle barrel. Said it almost turned over. Chassis flexed enough that it cracked the right windshield and popped part of the left one out of the frame. Sh$t happens. Now I only hope I don't screw up on my disney trip in Nov!!
Thanks again.
1998 Fleetwood Bounder 36s...F53 TAG with 460 v8 55,000 miles. master tow dolly. 2 furkids
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Install a henderson trac bar on the rear of that bounder and it will be like night and day. I installed it on my winnie and now it is a one hand driver and no sway from trucks passing at all. I too have the 16 inch wheels.
Roy & Sabine Lyons
98 Itasca 35' Class A Gas with Banks Powerpack
98 Honda CRV Toad
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
I doubt you'll ever get the motorhome to drive like the family sedan. That being said there have been vast improvements on the F53 chassis since 1997. It now comes with a 362 hp V10, a 5 speed trransmission, 22.5" tires, and a host of other handling improvements.

The swaying and otherwise poor handling are as much a function of the ratio of the wheelbase as the overall length of the vehicle. An old rule of thumb is the wheelbase must be at least 52% of the overall length of the motorhome to get reasonable handling.

Our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer was built on a 208" wheelbase with an overall length of 32' 11". The wheelbase was right at 52% of the overall length. It had a 310 hp V10 with a 4 speed transmission, disk brakes all around, and 19.5" tires. At the time I thought it drove and handled pretty well.

Our new 2013 Adventurer is built on the 228" wheelbase with an overall length of 33' 3". The wheelbase is 57% of the overall length. There is a significant improvement in performance and handling. I'm sure the things I mentioned are only a few of the things that have changed over the years. The nice thing is that everything seems to have changed for the better.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 94 32H Bounder was on the F53 platform and the 460 had plenty of power and not bad driving at all. Then came our 04 Workhorse with the 8.1 attached to the Allison trans but just the suspension difference between the two was like night and day. Absolutely no comparison at all. There are NO mods to our current rig ( shocks, steering stabilizer etc.) and it drives perfect.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote