Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #15

I to am in the process of taking the test. Take the driving test this Thursday from the Plano office. To me the written test had nothing to do with driving a MH. Why do I care that a farm tractor needs 2 headlights if mfg'd after 1972 or I don't need mud flaps on a pole trailer. Asked several people about needing to take the air brake written exam and was told NO. The lady helping me even called the Austin Commercial Div help desk and was told to "ask your surpervisor". I'm currious as to what the want you to do when checking your mirrors for traffic since you both got dinged for this on the driving portion. They all want to give me my driving test so they can ride in a MH.
They first kept insisting that I needed a class B cdl. I had to show them the manual as to my requirement and then someone said "just treat him like a fireman" and that will cover him.
There is a lot of confusion on this issue.

dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
"I took the test passed and got back in line to wait for someone to schedule my driving test. Got a different woman and she informed me that I didn't need a driving test. Handed me my paper license and sent me on my way (ugh -- I was going to argue with her but overheard them tell the guy next to me that they were scheduling driving tests three weeks out. I went home and started calling around to different DPS locations. It is amazing how different each DPS office handles the scheduling of driving tests. Almost all of them were booked out for several weeks (with most slots being taken by truck driving school students). I finally called the Mineral Wells location and was told that they schedule a day in advance. So, If I called back in the morning, I could schedule for the next day (first come, first served). I called the next day which was a Wednesday and was scheduled for the next day at 10am."

If they didnt require you to take the driving test then why do a dumb thing and push it?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The trick about checking your mirrors is to wear a baseball hat and then they can more easily tell that you are moving your head from mirror to mirror.
In driving a school bus,it is also reccomended that when you come to a stop at a stop sign that you wait two seconds before doing anything,then look both ways.
In our district,we are required to do a tap test EVERY pre-trip.get it up to pressure,turn the engine off,turn the key back on for the alarms,tap the pressure down till the alarms start,start the engine and time the pressure back up to 120#. I think that's 5 minutes max.I usually chock a wheel every couple of days and push the E brake in and then pump it down till it spring pops and I think that's about 30-35#.
For our MHs here in Wa,we don't need a CDL unless you're transporting them.We do now have to declare whether or not we're gonna be using our CDL for interstate or intrastate driving and if it's interstate,we have to provide DOL with a current DOT physical card.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
I even asked the dealership where we bought our DP and was told "nope, don't need any special license".

Standard dealer answer: "No problem".
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #19

If the DMV doesn't know the rules then why bother?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Because that policeman will!!!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #21

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This is all news to me! We moved to Texas just over a year ago and was told by the DPS office in Denton that I did to need a CDL. The people at the inspection station said the same thing when I had the motor home inspected and weighed. This is just crazy!

2007 Chevy Silverado
JMJCSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Go back and read what I wrote on the first page. You need to get to somewhere that really understands what is going on. I'd recommend Tyler for you as the best place to get tested.

We've had ours for 6 years. And what you need is a CLASSIFIED Class A, not a CDL, which is a COMMERCIAL license. It is Texas Transportation Code 521.

This may help you:

Is the Vehicle a Motorhome or Truck?

Motorhome
…… Is the GVWR > 26,000#?
………….Yes, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?
……………...Yes , Class A
………………No , Class B
………….No, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?
………………Yes, Class A
………………No, Class C

Truck/Trailer Combo
…..Is the GCWR > 26,000#
…………Yes, Is the trailer > 10,000#?
………………Yes, Class A
………………No, Class C

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just remember folks, if you do get a Class A CDL you have to pass a CDL Physical every two years or your license is revoked or suspended.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
If the DMV doesn't know the rules then why bother?
Because after being in an accident without the proper license, the lawyer will know the law and if you have not complied, you and your assets are toast.

Don
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #25

If your state doesn't require a CDL to drive the RV are you okay in states that do require a CDL or some form of special license?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All states honor the reciprocal agreement on driver's licenses.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Just remember folks, if you do get a Class A CDL you have to pass a CDL Physical every two years or your license is revoked or suspended.
That is strange. I kept my CDL for 15 years without having to acquire the yearly physical, because i was not driving commercially anymore. When renewing they asked me if I was driving commercially, I stated "No" and renewal was granted. They told me that if I did start driving commercially I would have to get a physical. Around 2009-10 I converted it to a regular Class A. Why, because I got a ticket and I couldn't take Driver ED or deferred adjudication and the fine was $164.00.

For other posters, do not let anyone tell you what class license you need for Texas. All you have to do is read Section 521 of the DOT License Manual and it will describe exactly what you need. DO NOT Read section 522 unless you want a CDL. According to Section 521, most MH's will need at least a Class B licensed driver. Will it matter if you have a Class B or above? Probably not unless you have an accident and the Insurance company fights you for $$.

p.s., as for those items not questioned, like flares or other safety equipment, or air brakes, consider that you might get an inspector that is an RV'er, or consider you get an inspector that is more knowledgeable or whatever. Then assume that they can ask you any question they want and the do ask about the distance when setting out flares or emergency markers, or the ask you about slack adjustment, or the minimum psi setting on your pressure gauge before the alarm is to come on.

There is only one solution. The old Boy Scout Motto, Be prepared."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #28

Quote:If the DMV doesn't know the rules then why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Because that policeman will!!!!
Only IF you are in TX and only IF they care and only IF they know about the laws, and only IF you have a TX license and the org Poster said 6 years and he never knew. Call me a rebel but I say forget about it and plead ignorance if caught in TX. You won't find me ever in TX....

Tags
motorhome