Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MRBB, if you are legal in your state you are legal in all states (Driver's License that is.)

Sorry you don't like our State.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Just remember folks, if you do get a Class A CDL you have to pass a CDL Physical every two years or your license is revoked or suspended.
Not true. You only need a current medical to exercise the Commercial aspect of the CDL. If you have a CDL, but are not driving commercially (for pay, or a commercial registered vehicle), you do not need a current medical.

joe

Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO adding an endorsement on any Driver's license to cover motorhomes would be the simple solution. Much like a the endorsement to drive a motorcycle or in my case as I have a Class A CDL and have several endorsements to cover driving a Tanker, Hazmat material, and Doubles/Triple trailers.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver

Not true. You only need a current medical to exercise the Commercial aspect of the CDL. If you have a CDL, but are not driving commercially (for pay, or a commercial registered vehicle), you do not need a current medical.

joe
Better read the new rules boys
And depending on any med circumstances you may need to pass a physical every yr
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Better read the new rules boys
And depending on any med circumstances you may need to pass a physical every yr
Got a reference to these "new" rules?

joe
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan View Post
IMHO adding an endorsement on any Driver's license to cover motorhomes would be the simple solution. Much like a the endorsement to drive a motorcycle or in my case as I have a Class A CDL and have several endorsements to cover driving a Tanker, Hazmat material, and Doubles/Triple trailers.
I don't know that a specific RV or Motorhome endorsement makes sense. It's a "large vehicle", and that's what the Class A or B license is for exactly. Unless you're talking about something for an RV smaller than the 26,000lb Class B limit?

joe
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #35

The misunderstanding on this issue is: YOU DO NOT NEED A CDL! What you need to ask for when going to DPS is that you want a "non-commercial Class A or B license. If you look at your current TX license (if not CDL) it says you have a Class C license. You want to upgrade to Class B or A depending if you are going to tow under/over 10,000 lbs. Your drivers license number from your Class C license to the new Class A/B will remain the same.
As someone said: the lawyers will know the law if you are involved in an accident your fault or not. If not properly licensed, it will be your fault regardless if Pedro is here legally or not or has insurance.
As the state trooper told me: we will issue a citation at the scene of the accident to anyone not properly licensed to operate the vehicle involved in the accident. Go to the DPS office and tell them you want the manual for a commercial license and then study those chapters that pertain to the Class B/A. I believe this is either chapter 14 or 15 but would reccommend the air brake section as well as Chapter 2.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #36
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver

Got a reference to these "new" rules?

joe
The Feds are requiring states to keep a copy of not only your med certificate but also a copy of the rdtc you belong to and your state file must be updated every yr. this is just starting this yr.
Got my notice in nov.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
A commerical CDL is regulated by the Feds and you will be required to pass a physical or lose your license. Had mine suspended twice for being late sending in forms.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461 View Post
The misunderstanding on this issue is: YOU DO NOT NEED A CDL! What you need to ask for when going to DPS is that you want a "non-commercial Class A or B license. If you look at your current TX license (if not CDL) it says you have a Class C license. You want to upgrade to Class B or A depending if you are going to tow under/over 10,000 lbs. Your drivers license number from your Class C license to the new Class A/B will remain the same.
As someone said: the lawyers will know the law if you are involved in an accident your fault or not. If not properly licensed, it will be your fault regardless if Pedro is here legally or not or has insurance.
As the state trooper told me: we will issue a citation at the scene of the accident to anyone not properly licensed to operate the vehicle involved in the accident. Go to the DPS office and tell them you want the manual for a commercial license and then study those chapters that pertain to the Class B/A. I believe this is either chapter 14 or 15 but would reccommend the air brake section as well as well as Chapter 2.
I agree with dls461 and claiming ignorance of the law will not hold up in court. I drove for a year without it, but got mine about a month ago. I did not have to take the Air Brake test.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
The Feds are requiring states to keep a copy of not only your med certificate but also a copy of the rdtc you belong to and your state file must be updated every yr. this is just starting this yr.
Got my notice in nov.
Still no reference here. What's an rdtc?

joe
Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #40
laj

I was so disgusted with it I threw it in the fire with the fed statute on it but you can look it up on the Feds web site, sorry I can't give it to you.
Random drug testing consortium
Mandatory for cdl
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
A commerical CDL is regulated by the Feds and you will be required to pass a physical or lose your license. Had mine suspended twice for being late sending in forms.
Were you operating commercially or driving a commercial registered vehicle?

joe
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I was so disgusted with it I threw it in the fire with the fed statute on it but you can look it up on the Feds web site, sorry I can't give it to you.
Random drug testing consortium
Mandatory for cdl
I just spent a few minutes browsing through Driver application procedures. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and related pages. I'm still not sure I agree that this applies to someone who has a CDL, but doesn't operate commercially. In fact, I see this section:

(2) Existing CLP and CDL holders. By January 30, 2014, provide the State with an original or copy (as required by the State) of a current medical examiner's certificate prepared by a medical examiner, as defined in 49 CFR 390.5, and the State will post a certification status of “certified” on CDLIS driver record for the driver. If the non-excepted, interstate CLP or CDL holder fails to provide the State with a current medical examiner's certificate, the State will post a certification status of “not-certified” in the CDLIS driver record for the driver, and initiate a CLP or CDL downgrade following State procedures in accordance with section 383.73(j)(4); and
(3) Maintaining the medical certification status of “certified.” In order to maintain a medical certification status of “certified,” after January 30, 2012, a CLP or CDL holder who certifies that he/she will operate CMVs in non-excepted, interstate commerce must provide the State with an original or copy (as required by the State) of each subsequently issued medical examiner's certificate.

Which means my CDL would be "downgraded", which leads to:

(4) Downgrade. (i) Beginning January 30, 2012, if a driver's medical certification or medical variance expires, or FMCSA notifies the State that a medical variance was removed or rescinded, the State must:
(A) Notify the CLP or CDL holder of his/her CLP or CDL “not-certified” medical certification status and that the CMV privileges will be removed from the CLP or CDL unless the driver submits a current medical certificate and/or medical variance, or changes his/her self-certification to driving only in excepted or intrastate commerce (if permitted by the State);
(B) Initiate established State procedures for downgrading the CLP or CDL. The CLP or CDL downgrade must be completed and recorded within 60 days of the driver's medical certification status becoming “not-certified” to operate a CMV.
(ii) Beginning January 30, 2014, if a driver fails to provide the State with the certification contained in §383.71(b)(1)(ii), or a current medical examiner's certificate if the driver self-certifies according to §383.71(b)(1)(ii)(A) that he/she is operating in non-excepted interstate commerce as required by §383.71(h), the State must mark that CDLIS driver record as “not-certified” and initiate a CLP or CDL downgrade following State procedures in accordance with paragraph (o)(4)(i)(B) of this section.
(5) FMCSA Medical Programs is designated as the keeper of the list of State contacts for receiving medical variance information from FMCSA. Beginning January 30, 2012, States are responsible for insuring their medical variance contact information is always up-to-date with FMCSA's Medical Programs.

Which means I can't drive commercially any more. D'oh. Doesn't mean I'm illegal to drive my RV, since I don't need a commercial license to do so. My class B is still good at that point.

However, this is where you get into the murkiness of "who actually knows the law", and the (lack of) value of having the CDL in the first place if you don't actually plan on using it.

I'm planning on reverting to a non-CDL Class-B when my license comes up for renewal next year anyway.

joe

Tags
motorhome