Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
From the DOT web site
Federal Motor Carrier Saftey Administration

New Medical Certification Requirements: A Guide for Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Holders
Print Related LinksNote: Starting January 30, 2012 and no later than January 30, 2014, all CDL holders must provide information to their SDLA regarding the type of commercial motor vehicle operation they drive in or expect to drive in with their CDL. Drivers operating in certain types of commerce will be required to submit a current medical examiner’s certificate to their SDLA to obtain a “certified” medical status as part of their driving record. CDL holders required to have a ”certified” medical status who fail to provide and keep up-to-date their medical examiner’s certificate with their SDLA will become ”not-certified” and they may lose their CDL.
For specific State by State requirements for drivers and information related to how a State is handling the Medical Certification requirements, and to determine who to contact for additional information, click on the following link: http://www.aamva.org/aamva/DocumentDisplay.aspx?id={687D99D3-FFB5-4B76-BD6F-F5EF54728BE0

What is changing? State driver licensing agencies (SDLAs) will be adding your medical certification status and the information on your medical examiner’s certificate to your Commercial driver’s license system (CDLIS) record.
When does this change start? This change starts on January 30, 2012.
What is not changing? The driver physical qualification requirements are not changing.
What are CDL holders required to do?
  1. You must determine what type of commerce you operate in. You must certify to your SDLA to one of the four types of commerce you operate in as listed below,
    • Interstate non-excepted: You are an Interstate non-excepted driver and must meet the Federal DOT medical card requirements (e.g. – you are “not excepted”).
    • Interstate excepted: You are an Interstate excepted driver and do not have to meet the Federal DOT medical card requirements.
    • Intrastate non-excepted: You are an Intrastate non-excepted driver and are required to meet the medical requirements for your State.
    • Intrastate excepted: You are an Intrastate excepted driver and do not have to meet the medical requirements for your State.
  2. If you are subject to the DOT medical card requirements, provide a copy of each new DOT medical card to your SDLA prior to the expiration of the current DOT medical card.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #44

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I don't know that a specific RV or Motorhome endorsement makes sense. It's a "large vehicle", and that's what the Class A or B license is for exactly. Unless you're talking about something for an RV smaller than the 26,000lb Class B limit?

joe

IMO a Class A or B license isn't just for a large vehicle it's for Operating Commercial Vehicles whether it's a 26,001 lb box truck or tractor trailer. Forcing someone to get a Commercial License to operate an RV I think is overkill. If you have someone get an endorsement to operate an RV then they can only drive an RV. If you give them a CDL then they can and will apply to Operate commercial vehicles. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
CDL holders required to have a ”certified” medical status who fail to provide and keep up-to-date their medical examiner’s certificate with their SDLA will become ”not-certified” and they may lose their CDL.

And if you happen to have a CDL, but are not required to have a certified medical status (because you only drive your RV), this doesn't apply.

joe
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan View Post
IMO a Class A or B license isn't just for a large vehicle it's for Operating Commercial Vehicles whether it's a 26,001 lb box truck or tractor trailer. Forcing someone to get a Commercial License to operate an RV I think is overkill. If you have someone get an endorsement to operate an RV then they can only drive an RV. If you give them a CDL then they can and will apply to Operate commercial vehicles. Just my 2 cents.
Class A/B != CDL.

You don't HAVE to have a CDL to get a Class A or B license. Well, there's one or two states which don't seem to follow this rule, but it's rare. A or B specifically enable operation of large vehicles. CDL requirements are a superset of the basic class A or B.

Granted, some DMV types don't always remember this, and (at least in Texas) there's a specific form you fill out in order to get an A or B without the CDL.

The only reason I have a CDL is that I went through a truck school to train and get my license, because I didn't have the RV yet and had no Class B type vehicle to take the test in. I tried to get a plain Class B, but the examiner said she couldn't do that because the vehicle I was taking the test in was commercial, so I had to be taking a CDL test to drive it (legally).

joe
Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan View Post
IMO a Class A or B license isn't just for a large vehicle it's for Operating Commercial Vehicles whether it's a 26,001 lb box truck or tractor trailer. Forcing someone to get a Commercial License to operate an RV I think is overkill.
In Texas, non-CDL licenses are governed by Section 521 of the Texas Transportation Code. These licenses include a Class A, Class B, Class C (the standard vehicle operator's license) and Class M (motorcycle).

Again in Texas, CDL licenses are governed by Section 522 of the Texas Transportation Code. A completely separate section.

So, yes, here in Texas there ARE INDEED non-CDL Class A and Class B licenses. As far as other states are concerned, YMMV.....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PA does not require a CDL for RV's unless you are driving one for profit such as an entertainers coach, that's why you'll see the bigger coaches marked "Not for Hire"
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why are we discussing rules and regulations about CDL licenses??

We are on the iRV2 Forum designed for RV'ers. Who cares what the CDL requirements are. I know the rules and regulations for CDL licenses.

However, I also know that in TEXAS (read that as Texas) a CDL is not required to drive a vehicle that is not commercial. There are no extra forms to fill out, no medical examinations to take, just the eye test. As has been pointed out before, follow TDOT as outlined in Section 521 of the License Manual. That section has also been pasted into the Forum numerous times.

So back on "discussion." If you want to drive your RV legally, check with the state regulators for the state your driver's license is issued.

For those states that require a CDL, get a CDL. For all other states, just get the right "class" of license to drive your RV legally.

Sheeesh!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
However, I also know that in TEXAS (read that as Texas) a CDL is not required to drive a vehicle that is not commercial. There are no extra forms to fill out, no medical examinations to take, just the eye test. As has been pointed out before, follow TDOT as outlined in Section 521 of the License Manual. That section has also been pasted into the Forum numerous times.
Actually there is (or at least was) an extra one page form that the DPS needed. Maybe it changed before (or after) you got your license. When I got mine (in 2008), the only Class B (or A) license application form they had assumed you were getting a CDL. They had another sheet titled something like "CDL Exemption" with check boxes for what kind of vehicle you were intending to drive, that needed an A/B but not a CDL. As I recall, the choices were RV, Fire Truck, Airport Tranport, and maybe something else. They would not issue a non-CDL A or B without that form. A minor issue, but if you didn't remember to ask for that form, or specifically tell them what you were going to drive, you'd end up in the process for a CDL. :(

joe
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1
If they didnt require you to take the driving test then why do a dumb thing and push it?
Well actually they did require a road test. Upon closer inspection of my paper license, I noticed that it was a provisional license(I could only drive with a licensed class A or B driver in the passenger seat). The woman didn't even know what she was handing me.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB
If the DMV doesn't know the rules then why bother?
From my perspective, it was less about getting a ticket and more about the insurance implications. If one were to have an accident and you were driving without the proper license you would be driving illegally. I'm pretty sure your insurance company wouldn't be responsible for paying. They would most likely hang you out to dry!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
Well actually they did require a road test. Upon closer inspection of my paper license, I noticed that it was a provisional license(I could only drive with a licensed class A or B driver in the passenger seat). The woman didn't even know what she was handing me.
As a found out earlier in another thread on this subject, apparently the driving test is up to the discretion of the testing site. They are not required to give a driving test. I didn't take a driving test, only the written and my new license arrived with the B indorsement.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #54
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My research indicates that in Texas, the Transportation Code 7 Section 521 for Non Commercial Driver's licenses goes back at least to 1995. I'm thinking it goes back even further. I have sent a message to TDOT for some information and hopefully someone will know. In the meantime:

One can search on:

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995

if really interested.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
All states honor the reciprocal agreement on driver's licenses.
OK? If the state DMV does not know the rules about who needs a CDL then is it safe to assume that local law enforcement is any better informed?

I know that Ohio does not require a CDL for a RV regardless of weight. Do I need to carry a copy of the "Ohio Revised Code" with me to avoid a ticket?

CDL Exemptions:
"Recreational vehicle" includes every vehicle that is defined as a recreational vehicle in Ohio Revised Code, Section 4501.01, and is used exclusively for purposes other than engaging in business or profit.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
No state requires a "CDL" to drive an RV for your own use.
All states will require a "CDL" if you are driving an RV for hire.

Tags
motorhome