Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #57
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
OK? If the state DMV does not know the rules about who needs a CDL then is it safe to assume that local law enforcement is any better informed?.......
I would not be concerned with a LEO not knowing the regulations and issuing a ticket for a traffic violation, like speeding. As far as a proper class license that you may not have, he would just issue another ticket. Those can all be taken care of by paying the fee.

However, should there be an accident and the lawyers get involved, my greater concern would be how they would treat an improperly licensed driver whether it was his fault or not.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
No state requires a "CDL" to drive an RV for your own use.
All states will require a "CDL" if you are driving an RV for hire.
I do not want to get in to a long discussion over CDL's however my comments were based on previous posts that said, at least, Texas requires a CDL for RV's. If your statement is true please provide a reference.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
....previous posts that said, at least, Texas requires a CDL for RV's.
As has been stated repeatedly, Texas does NOT require a CDL (Texas Transportation Code, Section 522) for RVs not used in commercial activity or not driven for hire (i.e., an RV in personal use). Texas DOES, however, require an enhanced NON-CDL license (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521) if the RV's GCWR/GVWR is 26,001 lbs or more.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
As has been stated repeatedly, Texas does NOT require a CDL (Texas Transportation Code, Section 522) for RVs not used in commercial activity or not driven for hire (i.e., an RV in personal use). Texas DOES, however, require an enhanced NON-CDL license (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521) if the RV's GCWR/GVWR is 26,001 lbs or more.

Rusty
Rusty: The posts I was reading were discussing a 40 Ft DP which, I'm sure, exceeds the 26001 limit. Happy to hear the RV's under the 26001 limit do not require a CDL in Texas and elsewhere. I plan on coming to Texas later on this year, stay outside of Austin, and I do not want to get crossways with the law! Thanks for your info
Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Rusty: The posts I was reading were discussing a 40 Ft DP which, I'm sure, exceeds the 26001 limit. Happy to hear the RV's under the 26001 limit do not require a CDL in Texas and elsewhere. I plan on coming to Texas later on this year, stay outside of Austin, and I do not want to get crossways with the law! Thanks for your info
For a Texas driver, a DSDP over 26,000lb requires a Class B non-CDL.

But if you're not licensed in Texas, and you're legal to drive your RV in your home state, you're OK. Driver licenses have reciprocity between states, so as long as you're legal at home, you're legal in Texas.

joe
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Rusty: The posts I was reading were discussing a 40 Ft DP which, I'm sure, exceeds the 26001 limit. Happy to hear the RV's under the 26001 limit do not require a CDL in Texas and elsewhere.
Neither does an RV OVER 26001 lbs require a CDL in Texas. If you're a Texas resident, it requires a NON-CDL Class A or B (depending on the GVWR of the towed load) license. If you're visiting and legally licensed in your home state, you're covered by reciprocity.

The way Texas (and most states) look at it is a CDL (COMMERCIAL Driving License) is required only when COMMERCIAL activity is involved. That isn't the case with a privately operated RV.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Neither does an RV OVER 26001 lbs require a CDL in Texas. If you're a Texas resident, it requires a NON-CDL Class A or B (depending on the GVWR of the towed load) license. If you're visiting and legally licensed in your home state, you're covered by reciprocity.

The way Texas (and most states) look at it is a CDL (COMMERCIAL Driving License) is required only when COMMERCIAL activity is involved. That isn't the case with a privately operated RV.

Rusty
Correct. One of the main differences between a "Non-CDL" and a "CDL" is the treatment of traffic violations. A "Class A or B CDL" holder, for instance cannot take a defensive driving course to erase a speeding ticket, but a "Class A or B Non-CDL" holder can do this just like a Class C holder.

Don
Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
California requires a non commercial class B license to drive any house car over 40' but not over 45'.

My question is since all the 40' motorhomes I have seen are over 40', does one technically need a non commercial B to drive a 40' in California?

I would have to say Yes.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well, we learned something new reading this thread this morning. I checked out state requirements and sure enough, you need a Class B Non-commercial license to drive our motor home. Hubby already has a CDL Class A but looks like I need to 1) learn how to drive R'Bus and 2) go take my darn test :(
I agree that it is not so much for fear of getting a ticket; but of not having insurance coverage in the case of an accident.

[B]Class License - Heavy Straight Vehicles - Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds falls in Group B, or any such vehicle towing another vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. Class B includes straight trucks and large buses. Safely driving these heavy vehicles requires considerably more knowledge and skill than driving the small trucks and buses found in Class C. Because they include the skills required to drive Class C (with appropriate endorsements) vehicles, drivers who have qualified for a Class B license may also drive vehicles in Class C.
darcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
I actually think it is a good thing that your state requires an upgraded license for driving larger RVs. Unfortunately, some drive an RV like it is a car. Having a hoop that raises the bar reduces risk for all of us. Of interest is that it isn't required in Oregon.

Class C
May drive any single vehicle with a GVW and GVWR less than 26,001 pounds that is designed to carry less than 16 passengers (including driver). May tow another vehicle with a loaded GVW and GVWR less than 10,000 pounds, provided the total combined GVW and GVWR does not exceed 26,000 pounds. May operate a moped. Firefighters operating emergency fire vehicles are included in this class as are operators of recreational vehicles being used for personal use.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/driverid/classes.shtml
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #67
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For TEXAS:

Section 521: (Excerpt)
Read each section, 1 & 2 carefully. Paragraph one regarding a Class "A" relates to "gross combination weight rating," and paragraph 2 for a Class "B" relates to a "gross vehicle weight rating." Two very different items. If your motorhome was 15,000 pounds, (I know-to light - just an example) and your TOAD weights 12000 pounds, you are at 27,000 pounds "gross combination weight rating," and need a Class "A." I hope I'm reading that corrrectly and I'm sure someone will let me know.

If your MH weighs 26,001 pounds or more, and your TOAD is 10,000 pounds or LESS, you only need a Class "B." Just remember that if it weighs exactly 10,000 pounds and you pick up some mud along the way, you could very well exceed the license requirements.

[Quote]
"1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,
except a motorcycle or moped:
a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001
pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a
farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed
20,000 pounds;
[Unquote]

Happy trails.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #68

Alpine Owners Club
Once again, for Texas, it is the weight ratings that the manufacturer gave, not what it weights at any specific point.

Here's a simplified flow chart for TEXAS:

Is the Vehicle a Motorhome or Truck?

Motorhome
…… Is the GVWR > 26,000#?
………….Yes, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000#?
……………...Yes , Class A
……………….No , Class B
………….No, do you pull a car/trailer >10,000# and GCWR>26,000#?
………………Yes, Class A
………………No, Class C

Truck/Trailer Combo
…..Is the GCWR > 26,000#
…………Yes, Is the trailer > 10,000#?
………………Yes, Class A
………………No, Class C
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #69

Correct up to the last line.. A truck trailer combo over 26K requires a Class B. If the trailer is over 10K then it requires a Class A. Anything over 26K requres a higher class license regardless of the trailer.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #70
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last line in both?

Tags
motorhome