Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #71

I often wonder how all the people on the road survived when you just had a commercial license to drve a truck and motorcycles with a regular license. Goverment regulations are destroying our liberties.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Last line in both?
No, just the truck/trailer combo. It should be "B".

An RV under 26k with tow under 10k is class C.

joe

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Goverment regulations are destroying our liberties.
Operating a motor vehicle on public roadways isn't a constitutionally guaranteed freedom. It's an earned privilege.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Elderthought Cont'd

Quote:
I often wonder how all the people on the road survived when you just had a commercial license to drve a truck and motorcycles with a regular license. Goverment regulations are destroying our liberties.
Really?

Actually, they didn't. We killed millions. Maimed tens of millions* My classmate's head was severed (remember Jayne Mansfield?) because the evil overseers hadn't gotten around to mandating reflectors behind stalled tractor-trailers. Same with the little Castle girl, when our small town was traumatized by a railroad crossing accident that cut a school bus in half before the govt had mandated crossing signals and made school bus drivers stop at crossings. Rescuers with dim flashlights searched the tracks in the drizzle, stepping over various limbs and tangled seats, until they spotted her blonde hair...

That's just from my tiny hamlet. We forget how brutal life is, without regulations.

I'm sure the bus driver had a conventional license. The train engineer might've snorted at rules to slow down in the suburban Maryland crossing's area.

I recall fondly driving on our military bases, where no deviation from myriad regulations was tolerated. In fact, if you drove 3 mph over the posted speed limit for more than 30 seconds, you'd get a ticket. Period.

Yesterday, I endured two hours of being badgered by squirrels on a state highway who feel entitled to drive 85 mph on a two-lane road, regardless of the law. The police were helpless to stop them, kept busy chasing down accidents.

In the "good ol' days" we were even less regulated, killed less people at a greater rate. If we can transcend thinking that those of us who serve in government as "us's" instead of "thems" we might be able to evolve into a safer world, particularly out on the highways. People nowadays are so insecure about freedoms, they bristle at the thought of any order to our world, no matter how much it would improve our lives or safety.

Civil libertarians would applaud the fact us airline pilots used to have the freedom, the liberty, to show passengers the majesty of the Grand Canyon: no pesky controllers demanding we not alter our course, no irritating enroute altitudes, etc. Of course, you can imagine the rest of the story. One hundred twenty-eight men, women, children. Blankets, napkins, utensils, hats covered miles of the canyon.

If anyone were entitled to liberty in their movements, it'd be us airline pilots. Heck, we don't even have public roads, like drivers. Shouldn't we be able to do whatever we please? But, the public demands we adhere to a hundred times the regulation of our nation's vehicles and highways.

It doesn't seem to matter that our annual traffic death toll equals more than 2,000 airliner crashes, we stubbornly plow on insisting that endangering each other is an entitlement.

What I like best: Americans actually sneer at other countries who've managed to evolve, become better in the area of public safety.

Regulation only kills liberty in the minds of some people; it saves lives and liberates us to live free of the fear that irresponsible people are going to kill us or those we love. What is killing us and stripping our leadership position in the world; not regulation itself, mind you, but our perverse reaction to the tiniest effort to bring order to public life.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #75
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVNeophytes2,

Well said. (From my DW also)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #76

Yep,that is just what we need more regulations,to go with our 15trillion debt.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
As far as Texas is concerned, the driver license requirements we've been discussing are nothing new. I repeat, this is NOT a new regulation.

If you want to operate your motor vehicle on your private property without benefit of a license, have at it. If you, however, choose to bring it onto the public roadways, then the state has every right to stipulate the knowledge you must have, the proficiency you must demonstrate and the financial responsibility/proof of insurance required to operate that vehicle on public roadways used by me and my family.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #78

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No, just the truck/trailer combo. It should be "B".

An RV under 26k with tow under 10k is class C.

joe
NO, a Class B is for a vehicle that is over 26,000# ALL BY ITSELF. Class A is for a truck/trailer combo only if the trailer is over 10,000#.

Is there a truck with a GVWR greater than 26,000#? If so, then it would require a Class B all by itself.

It is possible to have a 18,000# truck (motorhome) pulling a 9,000# trailer and the only thing required would be a Class C license.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
OMG...

Quote:
So, traffic safety and the national debt are connected?

Well, I guess less restricted roadways do consume public funds and lead to higher insurance rates, as well as put a bigger burden on our healthcare system; but, I'm not sure it has a signficant impact on federal budgeting. A good idea, though; a great argument for better safety.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
It is possible to have a 18,000# truck (motorhome) pulling a 9,000# trailer and the only thing required would be a Class C license.
Let's look at it again:

Quote:
1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.
For instance, if I have a truck rated for a GCWR of 26,000 lbs or less, the weight of the towed load can be <10,000 lbs or >10,000 lbs and a Class C will suffice. The first precedence in Texas is the Manufacturer's GCWR:

Quote:
Sec 522.003
(17) "Gross combination weight rating" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination or articulated vehicle or, if the manufacturer has not specified a value, the sum of the gross vehicle weight rating of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit or units and any load on a towed unit.
If you ever wondered why there are so many trucks with GCWR ratings of 26,000 lbs, the above is the reason why.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
NO, a Class B is for a vehicle that is over 26,000# ALL BY ITSELF. Class A is for a truck/trailer combo only if the trailer is over 10,000#.

Is there a truck with a GVWR greater than 26,000#? If so, then it would require a Class B all by itself.

Except that what you actually wrote in your flow chart was:

Quote:
Truck/Trailer Combo
..Is the GCWR > 26,000#
So either the answer is wrong or the decision point in the flow chart is worded incorrectly.

joe
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #82

Let me lighten the current mood..I passed my Class A CDL's with a near perfect score today. I missed reading the height restriction on an underpass..

While I know I only need a Class B non-CDL, I will feel comfortable in the fact that should something happen, I have gone over and above what is required. And if anyone wants to pay me to drive their M/H and go south on vacation with them in mid winter I'm set!
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Let me lighten the current mood..I passed my Class A CDL's with a near perfect score today. I missed reading the height restriction on an underpass..

While I know I only need a Class B non-CDL, I will feel comfortable in the fact that should something happen, I have gone over and above what is required. And if anyone wants to pay me to drive their M/H and go south on vacation with them in mid winter I'm set!
Just be aware now that you have a CDL you will be required to carry a valid medical certificate and renew it evry two years.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Hooray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
Let me lighten the current mood..I passed my Class A CDL's with a near perfect score today.
Huh? I must've missed something.

Congratulations!!

Tags
motorhome