Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #85

As I recall, those with Class A CDL can not get rid of a ticket by taking an education class.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Just be aware now that you have a CDL you will be required to carry a valid medical certificate and renew it evry two years.

Only if you're exercising the commercial privileges. Not if you're only exercising the underlying Class A/B privileges for a personal vehicle.

joe

Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #87

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
So either the answer is wrong or the decision point in the flow chart is worded incorrectly.

joe
No, the flow chart is correct. There are 2 things that must be met;

First, the combined weight must be over 26,000#, and the second is the trailer itself must be over 10,000#. It is a little convoluted, but if both aren't true then it is a Class C license.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Only if you're exercising the commercial privileges. Not if you're only exercising the underlying Class A/B privileges for a personal vehicle.

joe
New rules that are taking effect Jan 30,2012

Medical Certification as Part of the Commercial Driverís License
U.S. Department of Transportation, 49 C.F.R. ß383.71 & ß383.73 ***Commercial Driverís License Applications Submitted on or after January 30, 2012***
Any person applying for a CDL on or after January 30, 2012 must certify with the Stateís Driverís License Agency to one of the following four categories:
  1. Non-excepted interstate. I certify that I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, and I am both subject to and meet the qualification requirements under 49 CFR part 391, and I am required to obtain a medical examiner's certificate by 49 CFR ß391.45.
  2. Excepted interstate. I certify that I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, but engage exclusively in transportation or operations excepted under 49 CFR ßß390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68 or 398.3 from all or parts of the qualification requirements of 49 CFR part 391, and I am therefore not required to obtain a medical examinerís certificate by 49 CFR ß391.45.
  3. Non-excepted intrastate. I certify that I operate only in intrastate commerce and therefore I am subject to and meet the Stateís driver medical qualification requirements.
  4. Excepted intrastate. I certify that I operate in intrastate commerce, but engage exclusively in transportation or operations excepted from all or parts of the Stateís driver medical qualification by K.S.A. 66-1,129.
Upon the effective date of the regulation, CDL holders certifying to category 1 (Non-excepted interstate), must also provide the original or a copy of the medical examinerís certificate to the Stateís Driverís License Agency prior to the issuance, renewal, upgrade or transfer of a CDL, or no later than January 30, 2014, whichever occurs first. Failure to do so will result in downgrading the holderís CDL to a Non-Commercial driverís license. When a driver is certifying to Non- excepted interstate requirements (category #1), downgrading the CDL to a Non-CDL status will occur automatically when the CDL holderís medical certificate expires.
CDL holders certifying to category 2, 3, or 4, must do so to the Stateís Driverís License Agency upon the issuance, renewal, upgrade or transfer of a CDL beginning on the effective date of this regulation or no later than January 30, 2014, whichever is first. Failure to do so will result in downgrading the holderís CDL to a Non-Commercial driverís license.
On the back of this page is a guide that will help drivers determine what self-certification category applies to him or her. The Driverís License Agency is not responsible for determining a driverís self certification classification---that is the sole responsibility of the driver.
  • For a citation of these requirements, refer to Title 49, CFR Part 383.71 & 383.73
  • Initial medical certification must be completed at a State Driverís License location. For a listing of all locations and times, or additional information regarding commercial driverís licenses, please refer to the agencyís website at: [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]http://ksrevenue.org/vehicle.htm [/COLOR]
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
First, the combined weight must be over 26,000#, and the second is the trailer itself must be over 10,000#. It is a little convoluted, but if both aren't true then it is a Class C license.

Barb
That's true insofar as a Class A license is concerned, but (in the more likely MH scenario) if towing vehicle GVWR (notice the switch from the Class A license) is >26,000 lbs and the towed load GVWR is not more than 10,000 lbs, then a Class B is required. In other words, if the 26,000 lb hurdle is exceeded (GCWR or GVWR, depending on Class A or Class B), then an upgraded license is required regardless of whether the second hurdle (towed load weight/GVWR) of 10,000 lbs is met.

See here:

Quote:
Sec. 521.082. CLASS B LICENSE.

(a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:

(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;

(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:

(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or

(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and

(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more.

(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(3), seating capacity is computed in accordance with Section 502.162, except that the operator's seat is included in the computation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Someone please shoot this post and put it out of its misery! A lot of good information here, but a lot of misinformation. This post is long enough! Please stop!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Upon the effective date of the regulation, CDL holders certifying to category 1 (Non-excepted interstate), must also provide the original or a copy of the medical examinerís certificate to the Stateís Driverís License Agency prior to the issuance, renewal, upgrade or transfer of a CDL, or no later than January 30, 2014, whichever occurs first. Failure to do so will result in downgrading the holderís CDL to a Non-Commercial driverís license. When a driver is certifying to Non- excepted interstate requirements (category #1), downgrading the CDL to a Non-CDL status will occur automatically when the CDL holderís medical certificate expires.
Read the section of your post that I quoted above very carefully. My interpretation is that if you don't have a medical certificate, your license downgrades to a non-CDL of the same class. Which is exactly what I meant when I said you only need the medical certificate if you're exercising the Commercial privileges.

Are you interpreting this differently? How so?

joe
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #92

I'm with you GFS1943.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2

Really?

Actually, they didn't. We killed millions. Maimed tens of millions* My classmate's head was severed (remember Jayne Mansfield?) because the evil overseers hadn't gotten around to mandating reflectors behind stalled tractor-trailers. Same with the little Castle girl, when our small town was traumatized by a railroad crossing accident that cut a school bus in half before the govt had mandated crossing signals and made school bus drivers stop at crossings. Rescuers with dim flashlights searched the tracks in the drizzle, stepping over various limbs and tangled seats, until they spotted her blonde hair...

That's just from my tiny hamlet. We forget how brutal life is, without regulations.

I'm sure the bus driver had a conventional license. The train engineer might've snorted at rules to slow down in the suburban Maryland crossing's area.

I recall fondly driving on our military bases, where no deviation from myriad regulations was tolerated. In fact, if you drove 3 mph over the posted speed limit for more than 30 seconds, you'd get a ticket. Period.

Yesterday, I endured two hours of being badgered by squirrels on a state highway who feel entitled to drive 85 mph on a two-lane road, regardless of the law. The police were helpless to stop them, kept busy chasing down accidents.

In the "good ol' days" we were even less regulated, killed less people at a greater rate. If we can transcend thinking that those of us who serve in government as "us's" instead of "thems" we might be able to evolve into a safer world, particularly out on the highways. People nowadays are so insecure about freedoms, they bristle at the thought of any order to our world, no matter how much it would improve our lives or safety.

Civil libertarians would applaud the fact us airline pilots used to have the freedom, the liberty, to show passengers the majesty of the Grand Canyon: no pesky controllers demanding we not alter our course, no irritating enroute altitudes, etc. Of course, you can imagine the rest of the story. One hundred twenty-eight men, women, children. Blankets, napkins, utensils, hats covered miles of the canyon.

If anyone were entitled to liberty in their movements, it'd be us airline pilots. Heck, we don't even have public roads, like drivers. Shouldn't we be able to do whatever we please? But, the public demands we adhere to a hundred times the regulation of our nation's vehicles and highways.

It doesn't seem to matter that our annual traffic death toll equals more than 2,000 airliner crashes, we stubbornly plow on insisting that endangering each other is an entitlement.

What I like best: Americans actually sneer at other countries who've managed to evolve, become better in the area of public safety.

Regulation only kills liberty in the minds of some people; it saves lives and liberates us to live free of the fear that irresponsible people are going to kill us or those we love. What is killing us and stripping our leadership position in the world; not regulation itself, mind you, but our perverse reaction to the tiniest effort to bring order to public life.

Well said indeed! I believe it was Moses that received the first set of regulations!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #94

I think it's pretty sorry to relate MOSES to the number of goverment regulations that are bogging our country down.Your kids can't even open a lemonaid stand without a license.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #95

Quote:
Read the section of your post that I quoted above very carefully. My interpretation is that if you don't have a medical certificate, your license downgrades to a non-CDL of the same class. Which is exactly what I meant when I said you only need the medical certificate if you're exercising the Commercial privileges.

joe
Don't think so. If you certify that you are a Category 2, Interstate Exempt, you are not required to carry a current medical certificate. If you DO NOT CERTIFY what category you drive in before the 2014 date, then your license downgrades and can't be renewed without retesting.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

joe
In post #82 Graniteman stated that he had just passed his class A CDL test.

In post 83 I stated "Just be aware now that you have a CDL you will be required to carry a valid medical certificate and renew it every two years."

The information I posted states that if you do not have a valid medical your "CDL" will be downgrade to a "NON-CDL" I believe that is how I am interpreting this
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Don't think so. If you certify that you are a Category 2, Interstate Exempt, you are not required to carry a current medical certificate. If you DO NOT CERTIFY what category you drive in before the 2014 date, then your license downgrades and can't be renewed without retesting.
Agreed, provisionally. But that doesn't change my assertion that you don't need a medical to exercise the non-CDL portion of your license. The fact that you might totally loose the Commercial privileges come renewal time is a different thing entirely.

joe
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
In post #82 Graniteman stated that he had just passed his class A CDL test.

In post 83 I stated "Just be aware now that you have a CDL you will be required to carry a valid medical certificate and renew it every two years."

The information I posted states that if you do not have a valid medical your "CDL" will be downgrade to a "NON-CDL" I believe that is how I am interpreting this
And I'm saying that the assertion that having a CDL requires you to carry a valid medical is incorrect. Your second statement agrees with that. If you don't have a valid medical, your CDL is no longer a CDL. But it's still a valid license for use for non-commercial driving. Which is what I said in the first place.

joe

Tags
motorhome