Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 04:25 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Driving school/class for MH

I know that some insurance companies offer discounts to folks that take a driving class. I also know that for me, I want to take a driving class before I'm set loose on the highway system. For those that had never driven a MH before.

Did you take a class?

Did you find it useful?

Is there one that you'd recommend over the other?

Do all the big dealers offer a drivers course like Lazy Days (did or does?)

Thanks
Angie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

Take the safe driving course every 3 years for the insurance discount. Did not take a course on driving motorhomes before driving our C. If you have experience with Vans it helps. Anyone going to a Class A with over 26,000 lb rating will be dealing with air brakes and needs to learn both air brake and diesel driving as it is different than gas.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #3

I have been a truck driver for many years but found this video very helpful.
Wellsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #4

Where are classes offered?

Thanks,
Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

RV School

We took their two day /two driver course when we picked up our first RV in Atlanta last June. Our instructor was Michael Lynch. He was great! He gave us the knowledge and confidence we needed to make the long drive back to Connecticut. Heck, he even had me parallel parking the 43 foot motorhome, when I have trouble parallel parking the Honda!

Susan
Old 10-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #6

We took a class at Lazy Days in Tampa.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellsie View Post

I have been a truck driver for many years but found this video very helpful.
When I was new to Motorhome ownership, I watched this video before I drove the coach away from the sellers house. It help me navigate down the road and took a lot of "What do I do now" thoughts and buried them deep in my brain. The video is well done. Thanks for posting
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on RVSchool.com. We took the 12-hour lesson with Glynn Carson, who was excellent. He let us spread it out as three, 4-hour days which worked perfectly.

Make sure you “click” with any instructor, and discuss expectations and methods before the training starts. I have seen/heard some of the old-school male instructors make gender-based generalizations and jokes, which really gets my back up. I have also heard of some of the instructors whose students felt rushed/pressured into doing more than they wanted to, or felt comfortable with, too soon/too fast. As in: made fearful students drive busy, narrow city streets before they were comfortable. So, talk things over with the instructor before you commit.

My .02
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I took the class from RV Driving School when we bought our coach. There was a brochure at the dealer. The course was helpful and the instructor (Michael Lynch in Atlanta) was VERY experienced and also a good guy. All basics were covered and gave me a place to start getting experience on my own. Glad I did it.

PS - he told me at the beginning that he would have me parallel parking it before the class was over and I thought he was pulling my leg. Sure enough, we did it.
Air Conditioned Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
X2 on RVSchool.com. We took the 12-hour lesson with Glynn Carson, who was excellent. He let us spread it out as three, 4-hour days which worked perfectly.

Make sure you “click” with any instructor, and discuss expectations and methods before the training starts. I have seen/heard some of the old-school male instructors make gender-based generalizations and jokes, which really gets my back up. I have also heard of some of the instructors whose students felt rushed/pressured into doing more than they wanted to, or felt comfortable with, too soon/too fast. As in: made fearful students drive busy, narrow city streets before they were comfortable. So, talk things over with the instructor before you commit.

My .02
Oh good advice!

Really there are still men around that think it's okay to make jokes at my expense? Who woulda thunk it

I do truly appreciate the advice, I've driven pickup trucks, tractors, and my Jeep. No vans or anything like, but I think it's something I need to know how to do in case the need arises. I might get to where I'm going with my hands cramped shut, but at least I'll get there safely!

Angie