Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Driving test

Has anyone done a driving test in Seguin, Tx?
The New Braunfels DPS states that I have to do the driving test there or on Pat Booker
Translators7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Have you checked with the DL office in San Marcos? It's located right on the I-35 service road.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #3

One of the questions I have on this rather dubiuos requirement is how do you get the rig to the test site. Seems like if you drive it up or fail the test for some reason they are gonna write you up on the spot and make it set there untill you get someone with the silly license to drive it away.
TombstoneJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombstoneJim View Post
One of the questions I have on this rather dubiuos requirement is how do you get the rig to the test site. Seems like if you drive it up or fail the test for some reason they are gonna write you up on the spot and make it set there untill you get someone with the silly license to drive it away.
They basically look the other way since they're view is that you are there to comply with a requirement that not all folks comply with so they don't ask how you got your rig there.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
They basically look the other way since they're view is that you are there to comply with a requirement that not all folks comply with so they don't ask how you got your rig there.

Rick

You sure? For the motorcycle test, I know of jurisdictions where they ask and may or may not send you packing. In the case of the Class M, you have to bring both an insured chase vehicle and a motorcycle...

I wish you luck...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You sure? For the motorcycle test...
Ummm, yeah, but for merely upgrading the same license type by a weight class (i.e., going from a non-commercial C to a non-commercial B or A), they seem to treat that differently, as Rick said. I'm sure there may be exceptions, but the smaller Texas towns are pretty laid back about it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You sure? For the motorcycle test, I know of jurisdictions where they ask and may or may not send you packing. In the case of the Class M, you have to bring both an insured chase vehicle and a motorcycle...

I wish you luck...
I'm sure that this is what they told me and how they treated me when I took the test in Livingston. It's also been discussed here on the forum many times and I've never seen a single report of anyone being given a hard time. I'm sure they could but I've never heard of it happening from any of the many folks who have related their experiences here on the forum.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I completed my written test in Seguin. What you have to learn is chapter 14 of the normal Texas Driving Handbook and chapter 15 of the CDL. I read it over twice and went though it with a breeze. I spoke to the examiner and asked her if I was going to be tested on the air brake system and she said no, I'll test it and show you how to do it. She also said when YOU drive up here for your test, park it over there by the tree. So that means they don't care if you drive it up there or not. She saved 40 minutes on her schedule to complete the driving test. Test is July 17.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translators7 View Post
I completed my written test in Seguin. What you have to learn is chapter 14 of the normal Texas Driving Handbook and chapter 15 of the CDL. I read it over twice and went though it with a breeze. I spoke to the examiner and asked her if I was going to be tested on the air brake system and she said no, I'll test it and show you how to do it. She also said when YOU drive up here for your test, park it over there by the tree. So that means they don't care if you drive it up there or not. She saved 40 minutes on her schedule to complete the driving test. Test is July 17.
Also in Uvalde, the woman told me, I'm not going to ask you how your rig magically appeared