Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #15

You want a different route planner because your TomTom suggested a route you don't like?

How about getting out a map and create your own route? The old fashioned way... That's what we did with our 40' motorhome.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Straight through. You would also be wise to check Georgia Techs football schedule if your trip is upcoming in the next few weeks. If they are at home, use I-285.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I - 285 on the West side. I live here. You will have no problem. I drive it every week. Downtown lanes are narrower and will save you ZERO time.

Cheers !
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

When we have traveled through Atlanta, we always used 285 by-pass. We normally use the right lane because we are running slower than traffic, and that is where slow traffic is supposed to be.

But Atlanta is an exception. As stated before, there is a lot of on-ramp traffic on 285 and Atlanta drivers are some of the worse of paying attention as they come down the ramps. So we drive one lane over in Atlanta.

As for HOV lanes, I believe an RV in the HOV lanes will give you a chance to meet the law enforcement people.

We often have to go through Houston to leave the Valley. We plan to stop at Beaumont on Saturday and go through Houston on Sunday morning.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #19

Wow, lots of differing advice from my fellow locals. So here is my take, with a few more details.

In general, straight through is my choice for north - south / south north. No through trucks inside 285 is the main benefit, but yes, the lanes can be a bit narrow.

I'm against using the HOV lane - you are against the Jersey barrier, you don't want to be the slow guy in the HOV lane as cars are going to tailgate you, then jump around you, even on the double line and cut you off just for spite. Just not a good or safe idea to me.

Sat. 6:00 could be impacted by either a Georia Tech home football game or a Braves game. If so, do 285......

Alternate on straight through for 85 northside / 75 south side routes. Take 285 around the east side, and using 675 to connect to 75 is a viable option any time, and really a 50-50 choice vs. straight through. You just have to deal with trucks, but there are fewer trucks on the east side on 285 than the west side.

And the east side 285 route is really not too bad an option if you are going 85 north side / 85 south side, and much better than taking 285 around the west side even though that may look more logical.

I really try to avoid 285 around the west side between 85 and 20. It is usually the worst traffic in town. But, sometimes you just can't avoid it. Speeds on that side of 285 can defy logic and traffic conditions, and truck traffic can be horrible.Get in the 2nd lane over and just be patient and careful.

And, I don't like 20 at all inside 285, it's just ugly. 285 around the south side really isn't too bad, but if you are connecting to the north side just suck up on 285 around the west side between 20/75/400/85.........

Good luck!

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:40 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's easy enough

I live near Chicago and have been in Atlanta a lot over the years for business travel in a car.

The locals have given you great advice on Atlanta traffic and by comparison it works the same in Chicago: highways thru a big city can be a bit nerve racking but the main factor is the time you pass thru.

I've never worried too much about going thru a city on a highway because I've pre-checked the route for bridge clearance (usually never an issue but worth looking) and I stay in the middle lane to avoid the merges from the right and the wannabe race car drivers in the left lane. I often just tuck in behind a truck - as a general statement they are pros and in the same boat you are: driving defensively, given the situation.

I LOVE the extra visibility I get from the MH height, helps anticipate the slow downs ahead. I miss when in traffic in my car. Do your thing and let the zoomers go around you. It's not like you can hide in an RV....

If a route around isn't an option just settle in for a slower drive and adapt.

All the best!
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinggirl View Post
We have six wheels - is that alowed?
Not sure, but most do not allow RV's. Also, the HOV is usually the fastest. Unless you are prepared to run FAST, even if allowed, I would stay out of the HOV lane. You keep holding that traffic up, and you will either get a driving award, or make a LOT of people mad.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #22

After our first and now last trip THROUGH Austin, TX, I can testify that traffic can be just as bad if not worse than "major" cities. IH35 north or south is ridiculously crowded almost anytime and any day, even early Sunday morning. The traffic becomes quite heavy just south of Georgetown going into Austin. There is a "fly-over" going past the University of Texas, but the Friday mid-morning we went through we could not get into the lanes to use it, so we had to take old IH35 (lower level). It's two very narrow lanes with blind on-ramps and short merge lanes. Before we entered the bowels of IH35 we were a few vehicles behind a very distinctive TT rig, but in the wrong lane to use the fly-over. Not to worry, when we got to the other side of town where the upper and lower merged again, that rig was still in sight (maybe 8-10 vehicles ahead). From Round Rock it took us just over 1-1/2 hrs to go 24 miles to southside Austin! That's an average 16 mph. Next time we'll pay the $14+ in tolls and go around. Sure glad we weren't towing on that trip; National Rental was only 1 exit away so we paid for a car - but, hey...