Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Driving with my teenager...

We were practicing driving today in the Expedition which is 18 feet long and it was hard for her to make crisp turns which got me thinking about RV's (what doesn't). Anyway, how long did it take to be a "good" class A driver, meaning you stop thinking about driving and it is second nature? As you can see we have a C and are thinking A in the future.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #2

I drove 5th wheels 4 with 2 different trucks, for 10 years. About 100k miles towing. Within an hour I was at home driving my " A" and after the first 1700 mile trip, I had to keep reminding myself.. its 38' ...58' with the toad, watch what your doing !!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

Drove tractor/trailers in the military (I know, not the same as OTR trucker) taught drivers training and was a master driver in the military, so the RV was easy to transition to.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Same for me, after being away from large trucks in the army I had no trouble other than sharpening up skills I already had.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I had never driven anything larger than my pickup towing a ski boat when I bought my new 40DP. There were a few white knuckle moments at first but within just a few hours behind the wheel I was much more relaxed. Now, after 50,000 miles... it's been second nature for a long time.

For me, a complete mindset change was required. I had to lose the natural (male) tendency to need to be ahead of the guy in front of me and to realize that nearly everything I owned was inside of this house on wheels so I had to drive it accordingly. Once I got over that hurdle, driving my rig was a joy.

It should never become as nonchalant as jumping in our car and heading out. I always remind myself of the size and potential for bad things to happen if I'm not constantly paying attention.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

I just started driving a 35' class A last June it took me about 2500 miles to feel real confident in my ability to control it in most situations.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
YC1

The 30 footer was an easy transition. The 40 footer took many months due to low usage. Still I am extremely cautious. The steering cut is very different in the long unit. There are some training videos free on the internet that really help visualize the situation.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
I had never driven anything larger than my pickup towing a ski boat when I bought my new 40DP. There were a few white knuckle moments at first but within just a few hours behind the wheel I was much more relaxed. Now, after 50,000 miles... it's been second nature for a long time.

For me, a complete mindset change was required. I had to lose the natural (male) tendency to need to be ahead of the guy in front of me and to realize that nearly everything I owned was inside of this house on wheels so I had to drive it accordingly. Once I got over that hurdle, driving my rig was a joy.

It should never become as nonchalant as jumping in our car and heading out. I always remind myself of the size and potential for bad things to happen if I'm not constantly paying attention.

Best of luck.

Rick
x2. very well stated!!!!
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, I never get relaxed to the point that I'm not thinking about something that could go wrong. I keep it around 60 unless towing and then it's 55. There's no limit to what drivers around you will do.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
For me, I never get relaxed to the point that I'm not thinking about something that could go wrong. I keep it around 60 unless towing and then it's 55. There's no limit to what drivers around you will do.
X1000..........it's not hard to get used to, it's hard to get used to the attitude of traffic around you especially in town. They tend to think I can stop on a dime, but I left my dime at home.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my Daughter watch these 7 part videos before driving my 35 ft A. I was very impressed by what she learned before we went out for a road trip. We went for about a 100 miles trip.
RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the best thing to learn when it comes to driving a Class A is the fact that you are sitting on top of the front tires and the nose is closer than you are used to in a car.

At the same time, the rear overhang means a lot of swing when turning sharp.

I taught my teenage son and daughter by starting them on the highway. Teaching them to use the mirrors to stay within the lines, until they were used to the width of the RV.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Roof Repair | Flags »