Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Dropped By Insurance After Windshield Crack?

Hello everyone, thank you for checking my post. My windshield has a few chips, none of which are detrimental to the view. I travel to Alaska each spring and return to the lower 48 in the fall. I am totally fine with just having the windshield repaired as I am sure more rocks are destined to meet my windshield on the Alcan. However, I am concerned that if I report it to my insurance company it is reason enough for them to drop me at the next pay period. A new windshield costs around 3k for my coach and if they know that big expense is coming I feel as though they may take that opportunity to leave me with a damaged windshield. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? Is it better to pay out of pocket for the repairs and leave the insurance company in the dark or is doing that a loophole the insurance company can use to not pay for the windshield later?

As some of you can tell I do not have much faith in the integrity of insurance companies!

Chris
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

I don't know the laws where you live but here in AZ an insurance company can only drop you if you fail to pay your premium, no other reason.

I have used Progressive on both my motorhomes and also pay the small fee for glass coverage. My last motorhome required the driver's side pane be replaced after a road rock, no charge to me and no deductible.

My new one has had both windshield panes replaced under the previous owner but they are now leaking when it rains. Just today Progressive denied my glass claim saying it's not covered.

The local glass company wants $200 to remove, replace, and reseal both panes. Seems like a small price to pay to prevent potential future extensive interior damage.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

I have the same concerns so I pay for chip repairs as they happen, and when they get too bad or too many, and the windshield needs to be replaced, the insurance company gets that one. Seems to work so far and the few chip repairs we have are definitely not a major financial drain.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Just had my windshield replaced due to a birdstrike. No cancellation notice.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

Don't be afraid to turn in a claim that big. That's why you carry insurance. It would be comprehensive anyway.
People should shop for insurance every 3 years anyway unless you have a poor record for claims. You would be surprised how competitive insurance companies can get on new customers and how they creep your rates up for old customers.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Chris Travels, Don't know who your insurance is with, but all insurance Co's. I've had always covered patching chips. Most used the same mobile service (Safelite). No increase in premium or copay, never effected the declining deductible either.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travels View Post
Hello everyone, thank you for checking my post. My windshield has a few chips, none of which are detrimental to the view. I travel to Alaska each spring and return to the lower 48 in the fall. I am totally fine with just having the windshield repaired as I am sure more rocks are destined to meet my windshield on the Alcan. However, I am concerned that if I report it to my insurance company it is reason enough for them to drop me at the next pay period. A new windshield costs around 3k for my coach and if they know that big expense is coming I feel as though they may take that opportunity to leave me with a damaged windshield. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? Is it better to pay out of pocket for the repairs and leave the insurance company in the dark or is doing that a loophole the insurance company can use to not pay for the windshield later?

As some of you can tell I do not have much faith in the integrity of insurance companies!

Chris
Had a bigger OOPs than that with Progressive. The OOPs happened on a Thursday, adjuster was there on Monday, Thursday I had my check minus my deductible. The progressive adjuster even helped me find a reputable vendor to render repairs. Adjuster stayed in contact with me until I was happy with all repair work. I only had the policy a few months. My point is, reputable companies will not turn their back on you. Even at renewal, my policy did not increase and working my deductible down every year of accident free driving was still intact.

I plead the 5th on what the OOP's was!!!

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just ask them. Call them from a phone number other than yours, don't tell them who you are, ask them.

Just kidding. Why not call your state insurance commission and ask them? For example, WA state: Connect with us

My own experience is having three windshields replaced in about a dozen years and my rates have gone down over the same time period.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

I had a small rock chip on my new motorhome windshield low, near the wipers, but I wanted it fixed to prevent expanding. I called a local mobile glass repair in Oregon near the campground, ready to put it on the insurance...there is no deductible for windshield repair with my National Interstate policy. The repair cost was under $50, so I just paid it and thanked the guys. Just found the card: RV Glass Solutions 888.777.6778
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Chris Travels, Don't know who your insurance is with, but all insurance Co's. I've had always covered patching chips. Most used the same mobile service (Safelite). No increase in premium or copay, never effected the declining deductible either.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Might want to check your insurance to see if you were charged with a comprehensive claim. I had Progressive, had a chip repaired at no cost but I did get a comp claim charged against me.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #11

The insurance company I worked for (38) years had an unofficial claims position and that was our coverage was there the catastrophic loss that would be a hardship NOT for the small claim.

So if you nickel and dime any insurance company with small claims the underwriter will consider cancelling your policy.

Just a thought
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travels View Post

Chris
Confused on what you are reporting? If you are reporting a claim for a windshield, the insurance company must pay the claim regardless whether they cancel you on the next renewal. Most States have cancellation notice requirements of at least 60 days other than non payment of premium.

I agree with someone else comments, you should treat insurance for major claims, I had 3 chips repaired in mine for a cost of $75, I didn't turn it in to insurance, I just paid it myself and moved on. If you don't turn it in to insurance and do not repair chips, and later the windshield cracks and if the cost is $3,000, I would turn it in if you don't have any other claims and no moving violations.

I have sold insurance (mainly commercial) over the past 32 years, sometimes people over think what to do. Sometimes insurance companies do wrong things, but most of the time I find it to be a fair process. I am an independent broker, but I have seen sometimes insurance companies aren't fair, but usually it gets resolved in a tolerable resolution.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #13

I'm with Progressive and had my windshield replaced about a week ago. They didn't hesitate to cover it, and I don't expect any problems with them.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Glass breakage is a COMPREHENSIVE CLAIM. Comprehensive claims are not chargeable, at least in Pennsylvania.

Check your state insurance laws.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance