Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Dropped valve

Does anyone have any experience with a dropped valve in a Cummins ISX 650 engine?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl1934 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a dropped valve in a Cummins ISX 650 engine?

Most likely not. Tell us the story. Has Cummins determined a cause? Are you still within Cummins 5 year warrentee? Is Cummins doing a rebuild? Was damage limited to one cylinder?

Regardless of above, good luck going forward.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Sounds expensive.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #4

While spending a week in the Cummins Jacksonville waiting room earlier this year, I spent some time talking to Frenchie from Montreal who was getting his generator serviced. He told me how he dropped a valve in his Cummins (I would guess it was an ISL) just after the factory warranty expired. His supposed "extended warranty" company refused to pay for all the damage...because he continued to drive the coach to the nearest truck shop, rather than calling a tow truck. Five lawyers later...due to differing venues of all the parties involved...he got tired of being without the use of his coach and ended up paying Cummins to install a new engine. Total cost for the entire debacle was $40k.

True or not, makes for an interesting story. Good luck with your engine.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your ISX. Best of luck on the repairs. It will be somewhat expensive. Hope you have an extended warranty. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo BC has a motorhome in the shop right now with an ISX 600 with a dropped valve. I think the owner just bought the rig from Alberta and didn't quite make it home.
You might want to give Kenworth a call at 1-250-758-5288 to compare notes.
Dave
Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #7

Don't know how many miles or how old your coach is. Suspect you have less than 40,000. That should NEVER have happen now. That is a million mile engine! Cummins has a procedure called a "policy adjustment", Whereby the local Cummins direct factory man, not the Cummins distributor can authorize free parts and labor. But you will have to scream like hell and threaten to sue to get it done. All this assuming your engine is out of warentee. You have a Cummins dealer near you in Orange County.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for responding to my post asking about experience with a dropped valve in a Cummins ISX 650 engine. The coach is a 2009 45' Monaco Signature with only 23,000 miles and since it is 6 years old it is out of warranty. THe engine is out of the coach but as of this morning they have not completed the removal of the head so total damage is unknown.The work is underway at Cummins Pacific in Redding California and the service manager has contacted Cummins but they say they are unable to cover any of the repair since it is out of warranty. Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for responding to my post asking about experience with a dropped valve in a Cummins ISX 650 engine. The coach is a 2009 45' Monaco Signature with only 23,000 miles and since it is 6 years old it is out of warranty. THe engine is out of the coach but as of this morning they have not completed the removal of the head so total damage is unknown.The work is underway at Cummins Pacific in Redding California and the service manager has contacted Cummins but they say they are unable to cover any of the repair since it is out of warranty. Any suggestions?
Something similar to this happen to my ISX 37 days out of warranty I had an exhaust valve break. It took out the turbo, the head and the EGR and everything else down stream. My coach had 34,000 miles on it. At first Cummins started up on my maintence schedule, of course that got them no where cause they do the maintence and oil changes every 7500 miles (which is half of what Cummins calls for. Cummins told me how sorry they were and how they had never seen anything like that before, they admitted that it wasn't my fault, that it was just a bad valve, (the head of the valve actually split in half). After a few days of talking back and forth Cummins agreed to cover a big part of the parts and labor, and to extend a 100% warranty on the engine for one year.

It took the Cummins guys about three days to pull down the engine and fix everything and put it all back together. It's now been 19 months and the engine has run strong since.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #10

Ken
Call me at 805-748-3257 got some ideas for you.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry for your failure... Ask for policy help...they will say its over 5 years so the answer is no. They can still submit it and it has to go higher up the chain for authorization...but if you are persistent saying at 23,000 miles this never should have happened they should file the request for you.

Would be nice to know root cause... I am going to guess broken valve spring.
rezman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
hrw

Angry dropped valve2 isx650 cummins

Friday Nov 21, 2014 - Traveling north bound on I-5 just an hour from Eugene, the engine lost power and running very rough. Shut down and hauled the unit into Cummins Coach Care in Eugene. Today I was told the isx650 dropped a valve! Wow! 49,164 miles, 2009 model. Really curious if Cummins will come good for any part of the repair. No extended warranty.
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
hrw

yep sure do! curious what it is going to cost???!!!
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I am sorry to hear of your problem.I have experienced dropped valves in several different Cummins engines over the years. mind you they were the older mechanical versions. It meant pulling the head off and rebuilding or replacing the head, pulling the pan off and replacing the liner and the piston due to the valve dropping into the combustion chamber. Sometimes the turbo could be damaged as well. It depends on how long they are left running after it happens. On an ISX I would think it will be pricey. Good luck.