Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
RCO

Dropping Gas Tank on 03 Allegro

I have been told that the gas line from my generator that goes to the tank dip tube is cracked and needs replacing. They say the rear jacks need to come off to drop the tank.

Anyone ever done this before? I am thinking the tank does not need to drop all the way down to reach the hose at the top of the tank.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Is there anway to cut a trap door above the tank? I did that in an 1995 Endeavor and replaced the pump and you never knew it was there.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
RCO

Don, I had heard that someone else did that before and I had considered doing that on mine. Thanks much for confirming the idea!
Richard
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

RCO,
What do you mean you have been told? Have you looked, or is it leaking? I recently had the same issue with mine, I did not drop the tank although I should have. Mine was leaking from the steel line (from the tank) where the rubber line (from the gen) connect. It was wedged up about an arms length into the underside of the unit, could barely even touch it let alone work with/around it. Was a giant PITA to take care of, however, it is possible to do without dropping the tank. Also of note for sure my rear jacks were in the way of everything! Also keep in mind, gas running down the under side of your arm/pit can really burn, oh and if you wait untill it is actually leaking, and it developes a leak with a full tank og gas..........you will have gas running down the underside of your arm/pit. Making sure that you have less than a quarter tank of gas with make the task slightly less ugly, albeit only slightly less! Good luck, also I went back with a bit larger size gas line as I did not have the leverage to wedge the line back on any other way. I tried reaming it, splitting it, lubing it, then reaming, lubing and splitting it, I then went with a slightly larger size and double clamped at the top. My plan is to replace it the right way when I drop my tank for a fuel pump replacement this winter.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
RCO

YZF751
To clarify, I was told that cutting an access hole could be done. The rubber line from the genset to the top of the tank is cracked (mechanic viewed it with mirror) and so no gas getting to genset. They want $1.300 minimum to replace it. Trying to avoid that expense!
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Been a while since I have "been around" here but I am facing a similar endeavor.

A "friend?" made a home on my diesel gas tank and after evicting him/her, my fuel gauge pegs full when it isn't (it is now...). I believe that he/she has chewed through the sending unit wiring and I will need to repair. My only two choices are:

1. drop a full tank of diesel
2. cut an access hole in floor

I think I will do the latter although I don't relish having to cut up my carpet, we are going to replace it someday...

I will post results soon. Oh...and the little darling also chewed through my tel. cable from the inverter to the monitor panel. That cable is cut right in the wet bay and is juuuust out of reach.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi RCO, welcome to the forum. I don't envy you in your task. Best of luck with it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Dropping tank is not that hard if you have the right equipment. Had to drop the tank (of course it was full) on our 92 Allegro (same issue as yours). Lucky that I have a portable motorcycle/atv lift. Check around to see if someone rents one in your area. Took about 30 minutes to drop the tank, replace the hose and put the tank back. The lift was the key since it will drop the tank straight down to make your repair and then lift it right back into place.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
RCO
Isngolf used the perfect jack but if you have alot of gas in the tank I would use two MotorCycle jacks or siphon the gas out first. I used one jack with an almost empty tank and I won't attempt it with a large quantity of gas. If the tank starts to lean all the gas will run to the low end and tip the tank off the jack unless provisions are made to strap a longer & wider board to the top of the jack. Even then you want a couple guys to help stabilize the tank. My filler pipe was on the side of the tank and the large filler hose had to be unstuck from the tank before lowering the tank. My waste water tanks are mounted above my gas tank.
Dwight 95 F53 Bounder 35U
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dropped mine on an 02 Workhorse P30 Fleetwood Flair. The 3" rubber hose at the top of the tank was dry rotted and cracked. I did have to unbolt one rear jack and swing it out of the way. I had the MH way up in the air in the rear on 6 ton jack stands. Had about 10 gallons of gas in the tank. Could not siphon because of a screen at the bottom of the filler hose/tank connection. 2 floor jacks and 3 people. I only dropped one side, just enough to reach my arm in there to replace the fuel line. I used aircraft grade cloth covered fuel line the entire way from the tank to the generator. Not too bad of a job.

Workhorse must have used cheap Chinese rubber fuel line in 02 because I have heard of other people having the same problem.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Good point Dwight. I did strap the tank to the platform of the jack and did not experience any tilting issues. I used two straps to secure the tank and only lowered enough to replace the hose. The top of the tank if it did start to tilt left or right would have still hit the frame.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
RCO

03 Allegro Gas Tank

Thank you all for your help.

As I investigated cutting an access hole from above I discovered that the Allegro has a 12" deep flooring system with a light metal skin just above the gas tank. How to cut that bottom skin has now proven to be perplexing and somewhat risky.

My thoughts of using a cut off wheel on my grinder to cut that skin and the possiblity of sparks igniting something inside the coach has me thinking that the safest way may be dropping the tank.

I do have floor and motorcycle jacks as some of you have mentioned are necessary.

I will post results of the ordeal.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
Thank you all for your help.

As I investigated cutting an access hole from above I discovered that the Allegro has a 12" deep flooring system with a light metal skin just above the gas tank. How to cut that bottom skin has now proven to be perplexing and somewhat risky.

My thoughts of using a cut off wheel on my grinder to cut that skin and the possiblity of sparks igniting something inside the coach has me thinking that the safest way may be dropping the tank.

I do have floor and motorcycle jacks as some of you have mentioned are necessary.

I will post results of the ordeal.
If you cut thru the floor from the inside of the coach, you will cut into one of two things . THE SEWER TANK OR THE WATER TANK.

Drop the gas tank and install metal tubing to to the edge of the tank AT Least.

Good luck
George

cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank