Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Dry air is unbearable- what can i do

I have a 2012 Newmar baystar. I love it and my wife and four kids have used it a ton especially in winter where we use it every weekend to ski. The cold weather use means we have heat cranking and the air is just so dry. I use a cool mist vaporizer when I run the genny but it is annoying I have to run the genny for hours just for that but I do. Problem is at say 11 pm I shut it down and all night no moisture . Is there such thing as a cordless rechargeable humidifier? Is there anything else I can do to create moisture? I thought the big problem in winter was too much moisture in an RV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Are your windows covered in moisture? Usually 6 people should create lots of humidity. The cold surfaces allow the humidity to condense and make the air seem dry. If your windows and cold walls aren't dripping, you could hang a wet towel in the shower and leave the shower door open to help air circulation. A bungee cord or a broomstick can be used to hang the towel. it also helps to turn the heat down at night and use more blankets. I allow the heat to go down to 62d. or so at night to keep more humidity in the air.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suggest to have a humidity meter if you don't already have one, so you can see the effects of any actions taken.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

The walls have never been covered in moisture. I little bit of moisture forms on windows and the windshield has the most I assume because it is not double pane but I have all the shades down. I leave the heat on 64 at night and about every hour I notice the furnace kicks on while outside temps are about 32 degrees. The towel is a good idea I never thought of. Is my inverter suppose to power my outlets when the genny is not running? No right? I only have plugs with genny running and if I could jus run the vaporizer overnight I think I would have enough moisture.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

I do have a cheap battery hunting and temp meter that gives you current and last 24 hours . It does help in knowing if I am creating more moisture. I was boiling a pot of water the other day and wondering is the propane flame burning more moisture in air than I am creating with steam from pot? Anyone know?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Are your windows covered in moisture? Usually 6 people should create lots of humidity. The cold surfaces allow the humidity to condense and make the air seem dry. If your windows and cold walls aren't dripping, you could hang a wet towel in the shower and leave the shower door open to help air circulation. A bungee cord or a broomstick can be used to hang the towel. it also helps to turn the heat down at night and use more blankets. I allow the heat to go down to 62d. or so at night to keep more humidity in the air.
I both diagree and agree with this;

First - the OP says humidity is a problem with RVs in the winter. This may be true, depending on the local climate.

I disagree with the above when it says 6 people in the will create humidity - technically yes, but it does so by dehydrating the people involved! Therefore the OP is dry.

When the ambient temps are low the potential for that air to hold water molecules is low. So, not so many grains of water per cubic foot of air. Now when your furnace heats that air, the potential for that air to hold water increases - this means that relatively speaking there isn't much humidity.

So, you can lose a lot of hydration by breathing this relatively dry air but not so much to make moisture evident on the windows. I hope this makes sense as explained, it's past my bedtime.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
An adult exhales about a half liter of water per day. We give off another half liter though our skin and sweat, so 6 people contribute quite a bit of humidity to the air in a small space like an RV.

Yes, cooler air holds less humidity, but the real problem is how much the forced air furnace runs. Leaking ducts and the fact that they usually also exhaust into the holding and water tank space to keep them from freezing means that some air leaks out of the RV, allowing the very cold, dry outside air in to replace it. Thus, the more you run the heater, the dryer the air will get as outside air replaces the heated air that leaks out. So it is better to turn the heat down at night and run the heater less, in addition blankets will hold more skin moisture and create a humid 'microclimate' under the covers.

You'll need to check the power draw of your humidifier and factor in the power loses in the inverter, (often 20% or more) to calculate if you can run the humidifier and the furnace all night. A smaller inverter that is sized to the power draw of the humidifier might be the most efficient. Of course wet towels take no battery power, but I'd also suggest a hygrometer to keep monitor humidity.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012newmar View Post
SNIP
. Is there such thing as a cordless rechargeable humidifier? Is there anything else I can do to create moisture? I thought the big problem in winter was too much moisture in an RV?
Just come to Oregon, you can have all the moisture you want. Even in the summer; we don't tan, we rust! If that won't work take up drinking tea. Keep a kettle going on the stove.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Burning propane adds water vapour to the air. Cooking, breathing, showering do too and generally the end result is too high humidity resulting in condensation on windows and cold-bridged areas. The activities associated with 6 people will certainly add a lot more water vapour to the air than that of two people but having the temperature set too high will reduce the relative humidity.
In your situation, the easiest way to raise the relative humidity might be to drop the temperature and everyone wear an extra layer of clothing.

Also, you don't say whether the rest of the family have the same perception or if it is just you and so it could be just something that you are sensitive to.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

Boil the kettle on the propane stove.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
The propane furnace exhausts to the OUTSIDE of the rig so it will not be adding moisture to the air in the rig. The propane stove will add some moisture - for those that forgot high school science, when you burn any hydrocarbon you release energy(heat), water and carbon dioxide (or monoxide if not enough O2 present) into the air.

Also, if you are someplace to go skiing, it is naturally going to be dry because it is cold and most of the moisture in the air in now lying under your skiis during the day. Also, if you are at any appreciable altitude, there is less moisture (and oxygen) available because of the lower air pressure. And it is only for the weekend, correct? Layout some soaked towels to dry during the night, that should help.

Your inverter should power some of the electrical outlets - that is why you have an inverter, to run a few small things like TV, lights, etc. off the batteries. How much it will de depends upon the number of batteries you have, the draw on those batteries, etc.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Boil the kettle on the propane stove.
X-2. Sound like the easiest way to increase humidity. Do it all the time in Colorado in the winter..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
If it were me I would as some else suggested buy a relative humidity meter and I would find an ultrasonic humidifier with a humidistat that will keep you at about 35%.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #14

Back when I had little kids, we used a humidifier (not a steamer) that blew moisture into the air. Quiet, didn't use much power. Your inverter should be able to run it all night without depleting the batteries...or you may have an Autostart on your genset that will start the genset when needed.

Then the humidifier could be plugged into a multi-timer so it would run an hour then shut off, run again four hours later, etc.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote