Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

dry camping

I have owned a 200 Winnebago Adventurer 35u for two years and have done 2-9 day trips up and down the east coast. It has two AGM house batteries that replaced the old batteries when I bought it. I was dry camping at a car show last month and there was weather headed our way. I left the TV on all day tuned to a weather channel. About 3pm the TV shut off and the low voltage light was on my inverter. Of course I just fired the genny for an hour and everything was fine. My question is would it help if I added 2-4 more house batteries? I would like to be able to run the lights, charge the electronics, and watch the TV and only run the genny once a day. I don't want solar, just a little more power.
pecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always hard to say for sure but doubling or tripling your battery bank capacity will of course increase your time in batteries. Two battery setup is not much capacity. Most folks, I think you will find, need to run Genny a couple times a day for a couple three hours to charge. Typically in the morning to replenish batteries from the night and while prepping breakfast (microwave, coffee maker, etc.). And again in the evening when prepping dinner and to top off batteries for evening usage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Adding batteries will increase your running time. If you double the capacity of your batteries you will about double your running time. This depends on whether the batteries you have now are in top shape. I would check them individually with a good load tester and hydrometer. If the TV was all that was on your run time seems a little short.

This is assuming your battery charge was topped off when you started.
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping