Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

Dry camping and batteries don't last

I have a 2008 Pace Arrow 35a and it has 2 house batteries (deep cycle). We took it on our first trip to test it all out and it was cold in the desert night. So I made sure batteries were charged before going to sleep which meant it read about 12.5 v on the meter. I shut everything down except the gas heater.

In the morning it was down to 6v and the heater wasn't coming on anymore. It only lasted aboout 6 hours I'm guessing. We had a 2000w generator about 30 feet away so I just ran that the next night.

Is this pretty normal?
I'm amazed I can't even run the heater 1 full night at about 67 degrees (about 45 outside).

I'm thinking of removing those 2 batteries and buying 4 new ones. I'm told you shouldn't mix old with new so I'd have to get all 4 new.

Anyway, is this normal?
DaltonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

It sounds like your battery/batteries are weak. Depending on size of battery, I would think you should make it one night. Disconnect batteries from coach, charge and let sit overnight. Check voltage, should be 12v as there won't be a draw on them. If not, replace
Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #3

Not normal at all, those batteries are most likely shot. Definitely do not mix new batteries with those.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Fully charged house batteries will be 12.7 volts after resting for a few hours with no load. How long after charging did you read the voltage? 12.5 volts after a rest period is 80% charged. If you read the voltage while the generator was running, it should have read close to 13.6 volts. Just wondering the conditions when you checked. The batteries might be shot, but need more info.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

How old are the batteries?

When I purchased my 10 year old coach in April I knew the two 12 volt batteries were toast. The dealer would not budge on new batteries and even if they did they would if put the crappiest batteries in.

I ended up purchasing four 6 volt Agms and its the best upgrade I did so far.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Furnace fan is a large consumer of battery capacity.

Two 6v deep cycle batteries is marginal capacity.

12.5 volts is not fully charged...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

Your batteries are probably not true deep cycle. Probably a dual purpose "marine" type battery. 2 6V golf cart batteries will probably double your amps available compared to your current 2 12v. 4 will give you a bunch more amps.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #8

When it's 45° outside I don't even run the heater as my coach will usually be about 15° or so warmer inside when we wake up. When the OAT will be near or below freezing I will set the thermostat for the rear furnace at 50-55° to keep the tanks warm. The heater fan will cycle much less frequently at 55° than it will at 67° saving a lot of battery power.
The DW and I both like to sleep in cooler temps with adequate blankets. I even crack a small window next to my head for fresh air. We always run 2 CPAPS off the batteries when dry camping. When shore power is available and it's below freezing we run 2 small ceramic heaters on Low(6.25 amps each) and a small fan.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most auto parts stores will run a load test on your batteries at no charge. However, if they are several years old (can you find a date code on them), they probably are getting worn out. Also check the connections to be sure they are clean and tight. Check the water level unless they are the sealed type. I know my house batteries evaporate out over time (I assume from being constantly charged when on shore power).
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:20 AM   #10

I have 2, 12 volt, 100 AH batteries from Sams club. They say deep cycle but for $100 each, are probably dual purpose, maintance free batteries.

I stayed in Federal CGs on the way to FL. this fall. A few had no power and it was cold enough to run the heat many nights. We say quite a few nights in the 30s and 40s.

2 or 3 hours of generator time before bed and we never woke up cold in the morning. We don't turn the temp down at night, leaving it at about 68°.

We also could get a few cups of coffee thru the mini K cup machine before the inverter started warning us of low battery. Even then, there was enough to start the generator, at generator time.

2 good 12 volt, or 2 good 6 volt golf cart batteries, will give you heat thru the night.

Even if the heat used 10 amps running, and it ran steady for 10 hours, that's only 100 AH. The heat on mine doesn't run steady.

Replace the 2 you have with 2, 12 volt, or 2, 6 volt, new batteries. If they are not enough power for the night, add 2 more of which ever you choose. A few months difference in age won't hurt anything.

If you can fit 6 volt batteries, go for them. You will get a longer life and a bit more energy from them then most 12 volt batteries. I couldn't fit the taller 6 volt batteries in my tray without a torch and welder. Maybe next summer.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
So I made sure batteries were charged before going to sleep which meant it read about 12.5 v on the meter. I shut everything down except the gas heater.
I made sure batteries were charged...
This could be part of the problem...the way you're batt's get charged and are maintained on a daily basis. Not only do have 12V batteries which probably aren't really deep cycle batts to start with, but your charger/converter that charges your batteries may be nothing more than a trickle charger. When I redid my entire batt bay to prepare for dry camping, replacing my OEM converter was on top of the list. The OEM converter was a single stage, very slow, pathetic converter and did not charge the batts through the different stages that are required to keep my batts healthy and give them a True deep charge. I ended up installing a 4 stage converter and a bunch of other things when I redid my batt bay. At the very least, I highly recommend you research what type of converter you have, buy 6V golf cart batteries and then get all knowed up on how to keep those babies in good shape.

FYI...here's the link to that entire installation I did.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/repl...er-379971.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-bay-final.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	230566  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #12

I would definitely upgrade to 2 6v bats at around 220 ah each, giving you effectively much higher performance. The 6v batts have much thicker plates (flooded cell) and can be discharged to a deeper level. I would also look to ensure your converter is charging properly, and finally, if you have an inverter, that easily could accelerate battery discharge. We have 2 6v batts and a Progressive Dynamics (PD 5160) with three stage charging. Even if your heater were running 15 minutes of every hour, that is a bit over 2 hours of actual use over a 10 hour time span. We have run our heater all night with no issues.
Good Luck
Old 12-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Another possibility is that the cells in the batteries are low of fluid (add distilled water if needed). They won't accept a full charge if the electrolyte in each cell does not cover the lead plates.

I wouldn't be surprised if the batteries in a 2008 are original. In which case, probably overdue for replacement, even if true deep cycles. The 12.5v "fully charged" is a solid clue to that - 12.5v is at best only 90%.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, so I'll say this again about batts as I have done many times on this blog. Most RV deep cycle RV batts are good for about 3 years of dependable use. after that it is a matter of how regularly you charge them. I believe that 2 12v batts are better than the 6 volts because of the terminal corosion and water evap issue. First I'd suggest is to buy a cheap "load tester" HF has them for about $20 or so, they have a higher dollar version too. A load tester tells you the "condition" the ability to maintain voltage while under load. Volt meters do not indicate the ability of a batt to maintain a charge..... I can tell you that yours are shot, dead, kaput.... really big paper weights....

If your charge voltage reads over 14.2 then explore proper charge voltages for 12v batts. Over that will gas your batts. Use petroleum jelly on your batt terms to control corrosion, any thing else is just $$ thrown away....

That said, your furnace is the biggest load on your batts, it really draws them down fast...it should last one night, about 12 hours, all night but that is about it. I've put in brand new batts and the furnace pulled them down to 20% charge in one night. So, make sure you don't use any and all electrical stuff before bed. Lights, little mini chargers, tv's and other parasitic draws that will run them down even faster. Grandson was really peeved with me when I shut off the inverter and his computer wouldn't work... warm or computer I asked him... first night he said computer....

Set your thermostat to 60, yes, 60 and pile on the blankets... I sleep in my sweats and wear a stocking cap....put a memory foam pad on your bed, it will help sleep warmer....Close off your sleeping area if possible, even with a drape....skip the electric blanket when on batt...

Welcome to the RV life..

Last, I'd recommend Napa batts.... they stand behind their warranties... stay away from Interstate brand... they do not...Walmarts are Ok in a $$ pinch....Watch your batt prices from the diff retailers, most batts are made at one of 3 places in mexico with made in usa labels because they are assembled here.... Most retailers know who makes their batts...some will tell you, some won't....Batt manufacturers had to move out of country due to fed restrictions.... stay with the lead acid liquid for moho's, discharge thing and cold is a big deal and really effects everything else... the only high dollar alt are glass mat's that work well in a moho, all the others are just bling bragging rights...

Tags
batteries, camping