Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
This is our first motor home with an inverter. A 2000w I think. We have AGM house batteries with a residential fridge. I understand when we disconnect from shore power, we need to turn on the inverter to power up the fridge and other things.

We are going to spend about 4 days on the Pacific coast without any hookups. I am curious as to how often I need to run our 7000 Gold generator to keep the batteries charged. With our previous older Bounder, we would run the generator about 4/5 hours per day, but I've read of folks getting days of use from their 6 volts without having to run the genny. Sure could use some guidance.

Thanks.
Wow... LOTS of great information offered..

However... I think you're not looking for things to get overly complicated, and you're surely not looking to invest hundreds/thousands of dollars...

My suggestion:
  • Make sure you have a Gen-turi (for your safety and your neighbors)
  • Check your batteries frequently
  • Proceed much of the same way you did with your older Bounder
  • Enjoy your time on the coast
Lots of passionate people with a great deal of boondocking/solar knowledge.. but I think you're looking for some simple tips and reassurance you're going to be ok..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
All of the advice you gave was good with the exception of the above statement.

2, 6 volt batteries in series, double the voltage but not the amp hours.

With only 2, 6 volt batteries the 50% capacity will be 110 to 115 AHs.

INCREASING CAPACITY THROUGH SERIES AND PARALLEL CONNECTIONS

What is the difference between series battery connections and parallel battery connections and how do they increase battery capacity and voltage?
ANSWER:
In the SERIES CONNECTION, batteries of like voltage and Amp-Hour capacity are connected to increase the Voltage of the bank. The positive terminal of the first battery is connected to the negative terminal of the second battery and so on, until the desired voltage is reached. The final Voltage is the sum of all battery voltages added together while the final Amp-Hours remains unchanged. The bank's Voltage increases while its Amp-Hours, Cranking Performance and Reserve Capacity remain unchanged.
In the PARALLEL CONNECTION, batteries of like voltages and capacities are connected to increase the capacity of the bank. The positive terminals of all batteries are connected together, or to a common conductor, and all negative terminals are connected in the same manner. The final voltage remains unchanged while the capacity of the bank is the sum of the capacities of the individual batteries of this connection. Amp-Hours Cranking Performance and Reserve Capacity increases while Voltage does not.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping