Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Dual A/C issue 1996 Winnebago Warrior

I just purchased a 96 Warrior and am having an issue. I turn the generator on and only the rear A/C unit works, the front a/c doesn't turn on. Anyone know what the issue might be or what I can check?

btroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On our motorhome there is 2 circuit breakers mounted on the generator itself that if one or the other is tripped either the front or back ac won't work depending on which one is tripped. Other than that check all the circuit breakers inside. Does the ac work when you're plugged into house current?

Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Thanks for the response. Both breakers on the generator are fine. Only breaker panel I found inside is under the sink area and it looks as if there is only one 20amp breaker for the A/C in this case, which is fine. I've had other travel trailers, etc, and there were multiple panels inside but only found one here.

I need to get a power cable to plug into my house current and see if there is any difference. It didn't come with one. If it does work when plugged into the house is a leg on the generator possibly bad or is it not pushing out enough power to run both A/C units? I'm guessing one cranks on and then the other after a couple minutes but just a guess. I tried leaving the back A/C off, but no change.
btroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by btroadman View Post
I'm guessing one cranks on and then the other after a couple minutes but just a guess. I tried leaving the back A/C off, but no change.
Wait 5 full minutes for the a/c to kick on due to the timer delay.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
how big is the genny?
are there 2 breakers on it, a 30 and a 20?

You could have a problem with the 30 amp side of the genny, or a transfer switch problem, or maybe just an issue with the front a/c.

For sure do the shore power test.

I've seen some where "you" are the transfer switch, you actually have to plug the generator in. (or unplug it and plug in the shore power cord.

Do any other 115ac devices in the coach work?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure you have checked or know this, but just to be sure...on our '96 Brave there is a switch from front to rear AC...it has to be in the front position for both ACs to work.

On edit...it could also be that the rear AC is keeping the temps cool enough that the front AC does not need to come on...perhaps it's just not warm enough for both?
"If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is!!"
Follow us on our adventures...we're currently on-site storage facility managers.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

On a lot of 30 amp MHs an Itellitec Energy Management System (EMU2) was installed to allow two roof AC units to be able to run off the generator and only one when plugged into 30 amp shore power. If installed there should be a small black control box with two switches and two red LEDs. The switches are labeled FRONT AC and REAR AC. If you start the generator and briefly push each of these switches once the red LEDs will start flashing red then after two minutes will go solid red and at that time if both thermostats are on and turned to COOL both ACs will start. If you have this little control panel and your one AC is working check and see if you have one solid red LED for that AC unit. If you do then push the other switch until the other AC led flashes and wait two minutes.

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that a 30 amp rig? On many 30 amp rigs (nd even some 50's) there is a switch "Front/Rear" and optionally "Both" that selects which A/C works. Normally on a 30 amp rig the Genrator runs the REAR A/C directly, (independent of the switch setting) but if the switch is set to REAR the Front won't work, ever.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
I believe there is a switch in cabinet over frig for front or rear air when running gen. Select front for both to run.I had a 94 I installed a double pole double throw switch and a heavy duty cord so I could run both airs on shore power.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote