Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Dual AC units - do they work in tandem?

Hey all,

I have a 2008 bounder DP with dual AC units. I've noticed the units work great together and that the rear unit (zone 2) works well by itself, but the front unit (zone 1) doesn't cool when zone 2 unit is turned off. It will blow cool air but the heat pump just keeps cycling. I've reached out to Fleetwood but no help. I wanted to ask here before needlessly getting on my roof.
FW has confirmed that both units have heat pumps.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question.
Does each AC have a separate thermostat?

This may be a long shot but if you have 2 thermostats seems the front AC fan is turned on to manual and not auto. This will make the AC run but not put out cool air as only the fan is running and compressor not on.

Just check the fans are set to auto for both and let us know. more.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTech View Post
Question.
Does each AC have a separate thermostat?

This may be a long shot but if you have 2 thermostats seems the front AC fan is turned on to manual and not auto. This will make the AC run but not put out cool air as only the fan is running and compressor not on.

Just check the fans are set to auto for both and let us know. more.
1 digital thermostat that controls both units. Zone 1 and Zone 2. Choices are Heat or Cool or Off. I can choose either heat or cool as the master option with a slide switch then control zone 1 or zone 2 individually. Fan is in the auto position. Zone 2 off and Zone 1 cool. Blows cool air but temp doesn't change.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Each unit should work totally independent of the other. I would try doing the factory reset on the thermostat if you haven't already.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Each unit should work totally independent of the other. I would try doing the factory reset on the thermostat if you haven't already.
I have not...didn't know I could. I will try to figure out how to do this. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRVer View Post
I have not...didn't know I could. I will try to figure out how to do this. Thanks.
Before you go too far... Go to an auto parts (or HVAC dealer) and buy a air temp probe (thermometer). Usually a round head with a 6" stainless shaft. Doesn't matter whether it is digital, analog, or talks to you.

Turn the front A/C on and let it run for 10 minutes or more to get internal pressures stabilized. Stick the thermometer in the outlet vent closest to the A/C unit on the roof. Give it a minute and when the temp stops dropping, record it. Then stick it in the closest return air vent and do the same. If the difference is in the 15-20 degree range, the A/C is doing all it can be expected to do. If the difference is less than 15 degrees, you most likely have a bad A/C unit.

Note that the front one works MUCH harder. Thanks to the solarium we all have up front, heat gain is really significant, whereas in the back, there are no gigantic windows to allow heat in. Most coaches I have been in have a distinct issue in this regard, even my Tiffin. If I make the front comfortable, the back will be really chilly. Tiffin uses shared A/C ducts so that both units cool everywhere, although the back unit does more cooling in the back and ditto for the front. But since the front has the windshield and side windows to deal with, it has to work harder. To give it some help, we just turn the back A/C down so it will continue to cool and help the front, and this works just fine. Once the sun has dropped enough, I just crank the rear thermostat back up to something reasonable and then rinse and repeat the next morning.

I have seen some use fans to move that cold rear air up toward the front, if you don't mind fans running and strong breezes blowing inside...
Old 07-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I agree with. No cost and no loss if it still doesn't do the job.
But they should be totally independent from each other
Take a picture of your thermostat and we can help tell you hot to reset.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #8

Here is the thermostat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14B5BA23-723E-4D5F-9A3F-5F624E4140FA.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	209563  
BCRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Here is the thermostat
Any idea how to reset this thermostat.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Any idea how to reset this thermostat.
The Factory reset as per Install manual.
Remove the outer cover and pull the fuse and wait 5 minutes then reinstall the fuse.
They also talk about a control board that control both units and some LED lights that tells you if all is good or not.
Do you think you may have it someplace?

Good luck

Here is the few manual for you to read.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVComfortZC_install.pdf (163.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf rvcomfortzc_thermo.pdf (183.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
Cat

My 2007 38V Bounder the rear Ac would keep the rear cool better than the front Ac would cool the front. Both had the same temperature air coming out if them. As stated more windows and the windshield all add extra heat gain. I looked at the insulation I had in the front above the tv in the front cap. All that was there was 1/2 thick fiber mat that had fallen off the ceiling. So I had no insulation in the front cap.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Thank you for the links! I used my generator yesterday to watch the loads on the AC units as they initialized. I noticed zone 1 would hit 69 amps when calling for the compressor on cool. The compressor would have a hum for about 1 sec then shut off and the amps would drop. No cooling. Only fan running. I fear there is a compressor issue and unit needs replacement ��
Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Thank you for the links! I used my generator yesterday to watch the loads on the AC units as they initialized. I noticed zone 1 would hit 69 amps when calling for the compressor on cool. The compressor would have a hum for about 1 sec then shut off and the amps would drop. No cooling. Only fan running. I fear there is a compressor issue and unit needs replacement ��

Your fear is justified ... you could have a look at the start and run capacitors located topside under the shroud.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Your fear is justified ... you could have a look at the start and run capacitors located topside under the shroud.
What would I be looking for with them? I will have a look after work. I will also locate the serial and model #s of the AC.

Seems I read that in most of these units the compressor cant be replaced or it is just better to replace the entire unit. If so, I'm sure I can find a newer model that will still work with my thermostat and the existing rear AC.