Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Dual air conditioner switch

I have a 96 winnie Adventurer. It has the dual switch above the micro wave oven. This just started happening when the unit was returned from a rental to burning man. When the switch is to the rear the rear unit works fine. With both thermostats turned off, hen i throw the switch to the front, the front compressor starts to run. I disconnected the thermostat completely and it still runs. If I turn the thermostat on the fans come on and the unit works fine. Why did this just start to happen and how to fix? is there a relay somewhere that is stuck on?

slickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Dale and . We are glad to have you join us and I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
It sounds like the relay on the air conditioners control board is stuck. If the unit was run on low voltage it could have welded the points together from the higher than normal current. Give us the make and model number for more help or go to our "Files" section iRV2 Forums - Files and find the service manual to begin trouble shooting. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Thanks for the reply it sounds logical and I suspect this but exactly where is this relay. here is the serial number 10G716272619
Old 09-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
I did download the pdf from winnebagoind.com and did not see a relay in the circuit between the switch and front air conditioner?????
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
The switch above the microwave is on the right hand side of pdf page 5 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1996/120537.pdf. It is labeled as Dual Air Switch. It's only function is to route 110VAC to the AC units.

Your problem is associated with the 12VDC control voltage being feed to the relay board inside the front AC unit. The relay on that board is sticking in the ON position even though the 12VDC compressor ON signal from the thermostat is OFF. The model number information being referenced is for the AC unit you have installed, not the coach information. In order to know what the replacement P/N for the board is, you have to know what the model number for the distribution section of the AC unit is. The P/N for the board is a AC unit mfg number (ie Coleman) , not a winnebago number.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
I did go to the front air and the purple power wire goes to an assembly with the number 128226-1945PC
1497-413, I will check on line with coleman or locally to see if this part is available, I assume it is the relay
Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Eureka I found the relay located under the air return inside the coach, part number RVRB 7330A321 roeplaced with part number 8330-3851, cost $60.55. I swapped the relays from reasr to front and it fixed the problem and isolated it to that circuit board, thanks for the help and i hope this helps others. Another quick bit my starter motoer on the generator went out, i took it to the guy that repaired it and he said I needed a new starter for $219.00 After examining it the shaft was not bent the center pin was broken so I spent 40 cents on a new one and also found the starter on line for $34.95 if my fix fails.