Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dual axel vs single axel...any regrets?

We are days away from signing final paperwork on Newmar Ventana 4369. We considered Ventana single axel. We’d like to hear thoughts on both...any regrets with dual axel? Any regrets single axel?
txaggies1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the only people that 'regret' owning a tag axle coach, are those that dislike having to replace two extra tires every few years.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Tax axles are much easier to sell down the road and all around just a step up
Nothing wrong with the single axle coach either

Very glad I went with the Tuscany 42GX tag and would do it again
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We went with a 40' coach without a tag axle. Didn't want the extra tire expense, plus something else to go wrong!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

Ha!

Can always count on Joe to chime in a tag axle thread, to explain how uneconomical they are to own !
Old 10-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a 2009 Monaco Diplomat 40SKQ with a single axle.

We currently have a 2018 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ with a tag axle.

There is no doubt that the Entegra drives much better; not sure how much of that is attributable to the tag axle. Different chassis, different axles (independent front vs. solid axle), different weights, etc. Too many variables to presume that the tag axle is the reason for a better driving coach. However, it seems pretty apparent that the tag axle would give greater stability and better braking capacity

A couple of considerations:

1> Be careful of axle weight limits with a single rear axle. On my Monaco, I had to be careful not to exceed the rear axle weight limit. On the Entegra, I'm way under the limits for the drive and tag axles.

2>The wheel well space taken up for the tag axle diminishes your basement storage volume capacity.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

As far as tires goes, my steer tires are replaced when they are 5 yrs old. The old ones are mounted on the tag axle rims, and run in that position for another 5 yrs.
Every 5 yrs this practice will be repeated.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Stay on the porch if you cannot afford $1200 every 10 years for greatly mproved handling and unlimited CCC. Once you've owned a tag axle coach you'll never go back to a non tag. Multiple 750+ mile days are easy with a tag...wind or semis do not push you around.

A 42' tag will have a better turning radius than a 40' non tag...wheelbase is shorter on the tag coach.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This seems to me a rather pointless question. It's not like you get a choice of axle count for a given size and type of coach. You get the number of rear axles needed to carry the weight - if it's long and heavy enough you get an extra axle. Therefore you choose the size coach you want and the chassis engineers give you the necessary axles to support it.

In exchange for the greater carrying capacity, you get the following pros and cons:
1. Greater cost up front and two more tires to buy in later years

2. A small advantage in ride comfort under certain road conditions.
3. Less basement storage than a similar length coach without a tag (if there is such a coach)
4. Some increase in turning radius (unless its a steerable tag)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #10

Should start a thread asking people that went from a tag to a single rear axle coach, and thought it was a big improvement.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #11

I have a 42' with a tag, a friend I travel with a lot has a 40' single axle. I have a much better turning radius because of the 60 degree wheel cut vs the 55 on the single axle. Not a little, a lot. I believe the wheel base is within a couple of inches on our chassis.

It may be a question of tag, wheel cut and IFS. Up to you at the end of the day but for me the turning radius alone makes the tag chassis worth it for me. My Tour has a slightly better turning radius than my prior Excursion 35B did! It also handles very well and 2 extra tires to replace is a fairly small thing when you get to this level of RV and all the other cost associated with it.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #12

Typically the 40' will have single rear axle and 42/43/45's will have a tag axle. When someone says you "lose basement space" it's deceptive. You get 3 more feet of length which is the room taken by the tag. Actually the 40 and the 40+'s will have just about the same basement room.

The CCC however is beyond question. Add 10,000 lbs of capacity with the bigger rigs. Instead of pushing or more likely being over the limit, you've got a nice cushion.

And the handling? Anybody that doesn't LOVE the handling of a tag axle unit hasn't adjusted the tag axle to carry the correct amount of weight.

It costs more to buy, it costs more to maintain, it costs more to buy tires. If your budget doesn't allow for that, then don't get one. RVing is meant to be fun, not a struggle to be able to pay for it.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The OP is kind of asking a silly question. He says he's signing on the dotted line for a 43', but apparently thought about something smaller. Well, Newmar 40' coaches all come with tag axles. He would have to buy the 37' to get a single rear axle. Was he that undecided?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single