Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Dual Tire Equalizer Systems

Greetings All!

Any of you using dual tire equalizer systems? My inner wheels are tough to get air in, and the benefits of matched air pressure seems like it is worth while.

Anyone have expereince with them? I'm looking at the Crossfire system.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #2

Dual Tire Equalizer Systems

I have the crossfire system. Recently both right rear tires went flat. That's not supposed to happen as the crossfire is designed to block the air passages if the tires go ten pounds below the set point. Road service removed the crossfire and re inflated both tires. No problem with the tires. The metal 180 degree crossfire valve extension had a pinhole leak. Technically that should not have happened. I'm removing both crossfires and going with a TPMS system. Having both tires flat and off the rim was not fun. Luckily the tires were not damaged. Some say to put three psi less in the inner tire because road crowns or air flow may heat the inner tire if you're concerned with equalization.
The system is six years old and may have had a mechanical failure in the valve. In theory it's a great system. One failure however could be quite dangerous.
Rick_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

My tire dealer talked me out of them. You should be able to have solid extensions on the inner that make checking / airing them super easy. With alligator flowthru caps it literally takes seconds.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #4

I've had Crossfires on both of my motor homes. I haven't had any problems with them losing pressure. I like that I can look at the crossfire and check the pressure.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the Link Cats eye system on my rig.... Very well made... Quality. I had this system on a previous motorhome also.
I love being able to look at the little window and immediately be able to determine if both tires are fully inflated or low. I also love how easy it is to add air with one valve for each set of duals.
Well worth the money for the convenience and peace of mind in my opinion.

Thanks, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #6

Another vote for Cat's Eye.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I have the Link Cats eye system on my rig.... Very well made... Quality. I had this system on a previous motorhome also.
I love being able to look at the little window and immediately be able to determine if both tires are fully inflated or low. I also love how easy it is to add air with one valve for each set of duals.
Well worth the money for the convenience and peace of mind in my opinion.

Thanks, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
These work for me.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the crossfires.. No issues in several years .. Cats Eye is a comparable product.
BTW , I have friends that have crossfires on their tractor trailers and put 100,000 miles a year and have no problems .. Both are good products
Old 05-25-2015, 03:33 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

We put on valve extenders and use a TPMS system with sensors on all tires. Check the pressure each morning. Don't see any need for another system.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #10

I have used cross-fires for 2 years without issue, Cats Eye are reputed to be as good
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
My present MH is 2005 Damon, it came with Crossfires. I was impressed I could see at a glance if the pressures were ok and didnt have to go through the pita of checking inside rear tires as on previous MHs. Any ways last year put on 6 new tires no problem. This spring left rear started to loose pressure I had to blow up about every 3 to 4 days. I got a new Crossfire, installed it had no problems so far. The old one was dated as 2008 so it is 7 years old. On close inspection there was corrosion where the lines fit into the body where the O rings seat. The corrosion was very fine, very powdery no erosion on seat it seemed like the O rings hardened up, just enough to let air seep out. It is totally fixable with cleaning and new O rings and dielectric silicone. If it happened to me it will happen to others, rather then spending money on a new one fix the one you have. There is aYoutube vidio on how to install properely. Nothing lasts forever. Even though I had this problem I still think they are great.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
One year with crossfire. Really like them. No problems.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #13

I had Crossfires, worked fine. But I removed them because the hardware was rubbing the wheel and screwing up the coating on the wheel. TPMS is better. Plus you can monitor pressure and temperature from the drivers seat.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
I had Crossfires, worked fine. But I removed them because the hardware was rubbing the wheel and screwing up the coating on the wheel. TPMS is better. Plus you can monitor pressure and temperature from the drivers seat.
Had a similar problem with our braided lines. I took clear vinyl tube, split it then wrapped it around the extension. I used vinyl glue to join the edges at the ends of the tubing
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote