Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Dual Tire Pressure Variation

Ok... I know that this topic has been touched before in various different ways and I apologize for bringing back up an old topic. I currently have a Berkshire on which I installed a set of Cat's Eyes (dual pressure equalization system) primarily due to the fact that it was impossible to get one of my TPMS caps on the one of the tires. Not to mention the fact that it was a lot easier to adjust the pressure. I am an engineer so I bought into the theory that having the same pressure in both tires would be a good thing. Now I have ordered a new coach that just so happens has plenty of room for a TPMS cap on each of the tires. I am struggling with the decision as to whether or not install a similar system (Cat's eye or Crossfire) on my new coach. The only reason to now would purely be for the equalization aspect.

I would like to hear from those of you that actually have monitors on each of your duals and share with me what level of variation you have actually seen between the inner an outer tires. Supposedly it is ideal that all 4 of your tires have exactly the same pressure (within maybe 5%) but does this logic flow onto your tag? What happens if I run my tag at a different pressure than the drive? Sure it is not on the same axle but it is right there directly behind the drive. One would think that it would be equally important for it to run at the same pressure as well. Those of you that have monitors AND a tag, what do you see from cold to warm pressure variations on your inner and outer duals as well as your tag?

Thanks in advance for your responses as I am sure it will be a interesting discussion - at least I hope so.

allencrabtre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tag should have tire pressures appropriate for the load (weight) on the tag axle. It is not desirable to have them the same as the drive axle. Usually the tag is designed to carry only a modest portion of the total weight, maybe 6000-9000 lbs and the tire pressure should match. Excessive pressure in the tag actually reduces the weight carried on the drive axle, i.e. it lifts the chassis off the drive axle and thus reduces traction there.

I do not us Cat's Eye or Corssfire and have TPMS sensors on each tire. When cold, my duals are within 1 lb of each other, but there is some further variation as I drive. The inner dual gets a bit higher, probably becasue it runs hotter (less cooling air flow). And one end of the axle sometimes gets 1-2 psi hotter than the other, usually the sunny side.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
thanks for your response! How much of a variation do you see when the tires heat up after being on the road awhile? Looking to see how much higher the inner dual is as compared to the outer.
allencrabtre is offline   Reply With Quote