Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dual Valve extender

Looking at different ways to bring inner valve stem out far enough for easy pressure checking. Metal valve extensions seem to be a good option but inner valve stem does not quite line up with hole in outer rim. Are the any extenders other than braided hoses, that can be bent?

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #2

Do a search on Borg Dually Valves. They have them for all kinds of setups.
I recommend that you stay away from any hose type extension as sooner or later they do leak and you will run the tire, or worse.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

I use DuallyValves that I bought from the site at the link below. They are ordered to fit your specific wheel fingerhole configuration. I paid a local truck-tire shop $20 per wheel to install them and have been worry-free forever after. I had previously used steel-braided flex hose types but over a 3 year period I had two slow leaks and one fast (10 min to complete deflation) and gave up on them. The fast leak happened when the wheel got too warm in a massive stop&go traffic jam - the rubber gasket softened at the valve-stem interface. Thankfully my TPMS alerted me to all leaks in a timely manner.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Old 11-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Find a good truck tire shop in your area. 1st, if the inner valve stem is not showing on the outside, the tires/rims were installed WRONG. A good truck tire center can install new stems on both tires, by using different lengths, and make it super easy to check with a standard duel foot tire chuck. My new stems were free when I had ceramic beads. All 6 tires with beads installed. 6 new valve stems w/filtered cores and all the labor. $210.00 out the door.
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Anyone have any experience with this system?

Crossfire - Dual Dynamics

Seems like a good idea but like most products I wonder how well it works over the long haul.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post

Seems like a good idea but like most products I wonder how well it works over the long haul.
Had ours on for at least 18months and about 15k miles and they have been working as advertised. We have not had and tire issues (knocking on wood)
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
I've been using a similar system since '02, (for 92k miles), with no problems.
Cat's EyeŽ - Link
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a different thought... Recently had my coach into a tire shop for a front end alignment and new tires, and while I was there I asked them if they could spin my outside metal valve stems around 180 degrees so they'd point out instead of in. I watched the guy loosen up the nut and spin it around in about 2 seconds. Didn't hear any air go out and my TPMS read the same pressure. The valve stem was now sticking out towards the center hub a little too much, so he took a tool that was essentially a hollow metal tube, slid it down over the metal valve stem, held the end that went into the aluminum to secure it, and then simply bent the valve stem downward a little bit.

So now both of my valve stems point outward and are easy to access. I should have done this long ago.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #9

At the suggestion of a guy at the tire shop, I re-aligned my valve stems in the same way. Just loosen the nut and point it in any direction that makes it easy to check the tire pressure, then tighten the nut. I didn't hear any air pressure leaking while I changed them but the tire guy said if you loose any pressure not to worry about it. The pressure lost will be insignificant. I set mine so they were aimed away from the direction of rotation.

Thanks for the replies about the Crossfire system. I'm going to look into getting a set.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote