Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Dual Wheel RV leveling "Block"

We are using the blocks shown in the second photo underneath the wheels on our RV when on concrete (where it normally sits). The problem is it usually takes me 3 - 4 tries to get them into the correct place for our dual wheels in the rear. I am trying to find a one piece solution and found outrigger pads online - first photo. Has anyone used them for their rig. We want this size 24in x 24in so if we get a larger RV with bigger wheels they will still fit under the tires.
Or does anyone have a solution that they bought (I'm not very handy). Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P242410-E-black-double-photoshop-1024.png
Views:	337
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	83865  
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you look around a truck stop or rest area you can often find a truck mud flap or two. You could use them to make the same thing you're looking to buy. Also, I stop my RV about 12" from where I ultimately want to park, get out and place blocks right up to the back of each tire, then get in and move 12" more inches back so my tires are on the blocks. No issues with positioning.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr Flinn does what I do.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks, that is not the positioning I mean. I also place the blocks directly behind the back tires; however I have a he** of a time getting them positioned properly side to side.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you look around a truck stop or rest area you can often find a truck mud flap or two. You could use them to make the same thing you're looking to buy.
I think this will work, will try them.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put mine right up against the tire and back up onto them. Be sure that ALL tires have blocks under them, not just an inside or outside!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

I purchased a 4ft X 6ft x 1" thick rubber mat used in horse trailers from Tractor Supply for about $40. I cut it into 4 pieces, 2ft X 3ft. I placed the rear mats crossways for the duals (3 ft wide) and the front mats long ways (2 ft wide). I park in covered storage when not on the road and I have the mats strategically placed for tire alignment. I can see the rear mats in my rear view mirrors and can tell when the duals are in place. I have used the mats for about 2 years now and they hold up just fine. The hardest part was cutting the mat using a utility knife and a straight edge. It took a lot of passes and very sore hands to get it done but it was worth it.

WM
Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #8

X2 on stall matts
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 AM   #9

x3 on the stall mats!!
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

Part of the problem is that the blocks you now use are about 1 1/2" high. The wheels have to climb up on them rather than just roll over them. They have a tendency to move when pressure is applied to the side rather than directly from the top.

We have a set of the Ramble blocks, but they only get used under the levelers when a site is muddy or really out of level. I've also used them as a base for the jack when changing a tire on soft ground. We tried to drive up on them when we stored the motorhome once. We were chasing them all over the garage floor so we changed to these:

http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-37358-Ri.../dp/B000F6DNMQ

You put the flat lip against the tire then drive onto the mat. There's no doubt when you're in the right place. Also there's no problem with the mat moving because the weight of the motorhome has already pinned it in place before you get to the positioning locators.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
D-S

National RV Owners Club
So,,, as a newbie, what is the purpose of parking on a mat or block?

D-S
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
So,,, as a newbie, what is the purpose of parking on a mat or block?

D-S
My question exactly
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #13

Most tire manufacturers recommend placing a barrier between the concrete, asphalt, or other surface to keep moisture or petroleum contaminants from seeping into the rubber compound and ruining the tires. It's normally only done for long term storage where the parking pad and motorhome are exposed to the elements.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Most tire manufacturers recommend placing a barrier between the concrete, asphalt, or other surface to keep moisture or petroleum contaminants from seeping into the rubber compound and ruining the tires. It's normally only done for long term storage where the parking pad and motorhome are exposed to the elements.
thanks!!! now i know!

D-S

Tags
leveling