Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #15

The issue I have with the braided extenders is they often are attached to the hub. When the inner tire blows there is a very good chance it will pull the extender going to the hub in between the inner/outer tires blowing the outer tire as well.

Been there. Done that. The ease at having them just so you can add air easier does not equate to the cost of replacing 2 tires. Which can be easily $900 on the side of the road.

These days one can easily just roll with standard tire valves and if you need air let a shop do it for free. And if your on the road and a tire blows? Oh well....your looking at having a tire repairman come to you anyhow and he's equipped for that.

As for TPMS? Pure junk. It's only another useless lazy gauge to look at. Millions of vehicles on the road without them and not a worry.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Phoenix Extenders

Been using these for 4-years and love the customer support and the quality of the product Phoenix USA. Air Max Kits
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
As for TPMS? Pure junk. It's only another useless lazy gauge to look at. Millions of vehicles on the road without them and not a worry.
Although TPMS isn't the topic of this thread, from what I've read on this and other forums, your opinion on TPMS is a minority one and I certainly doubt they are "Pure junk". There certainly are millions of vehicles on the road without them but, even car manufacturers are including them as standard equipment these days and, given the added risks of duallies, I don't think that "not a worry" is the case.

When I was in college, my family lost almost everything we owned due to a moving van fire caused by a tire failure. There's no way to know if a TPMS would have prevented the fire but it most likely would have warned the driver before it was too late.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Although TPMS isn't the topic of this thread, from what I've read on this and other forums, your opinion on TPMS is a minority one and I certainly doubt they are "Pure junk". There certainly are millions of vehicles on the road without them but, even car manufacturers are including them as standard equipment these days and, given the added risks of duallies, I don't think that "not a worry" is the case.

When I was in college, my family lost almost everything we owned due to a moving van fire caused by a tire failure. There's no way to know if a TPMS would have prevented the fire but it most likely would have warned the driver before it was too late.
It was very likely they were warned but (knew something was amiss) but ignored it and continued to roll on. Car manufactures include a lot of stuff to pump up prices on vehicles for profit.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
OCM

I installed the "Crossfire" system on mine and so far it has been perfect. I can visually check the duels at any time. Both tires stay at the prescribed pressure, and if one goes down the other stays inflated.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #20

Had the same question when changing tires on our rig. More to go wrong. I carry a 3 lb. hammer and smack all 6 tires in the center of the tread surface almost every time we stop. If one of your duals gets a bit low for any reason you should be able to tell just by noticing the “overloaded” look from that set of duals. It is worth it for me to carry a pressure gauge and an air chuck just in case. 35 Year’s of driving and maintaining heavy transport trucks gives us a bit of experience in this area.
Papagoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagoes View Post
35 Year’s of driving and maintaining heavy transport trucks gives us a bit of experience in this area.
Experience I don't have. Other than the expense, I just don't see the downside of a TPMS.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Experience I don't have. Other than the expense, I just don't see the downside of a TPMS.

You don't see the downside to having a TPMS? Simple. There isn't a downside
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
You don't see the downside to having a TPMS? Simple. There isn't a downside
Cost

When a tire blows it blows. When they come up with a tire that will warn the owner of an impending blow out before it blows. I'm in.

Want constant protection? Use run flat tires. Wait....why do run flat tires include the TPMS? The tire is designed to be run flat. I don't need to know that it's flat if it's designed to be run flat.

Profit. Nothing more nothing less. Spend your money elsewhere.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #24

I fail to stand under the fascination folks have with valve stem extensions. I first drove off the farm with dual wheels in 1964, was checking and airing before that, never used extensions. When I went to alloy wheels with holes to small to put hand thru, I changed to caps that I could air thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagoes View Post
Had the same question when changing tires on our rig. More to go wrong. I carry a 3 lb. hammer and smack all 6 tires in the center of the tread surface almost every time we stop. If one of your duals gets a bit low for any reason you should be able to tell just by noticing the “overloaded” look from that set of duals. It is worth it for me to carry a pressure gauge and an air chuck just in case. 35 Year’s of driving and maintaining heavy transport trucks gives us a bit of experience in this area.
If one of my drivers had a set of duels that looked "overloaded" the better by god be running fat! By the time a radial looks low, it is low enough to be called "Flat"
I when working I would stick my tires once a week at least, and hammer them before I moved every day. But when stopped, I found I could find a soft one sooner just touching each. Fingers could find the warm one long before hammer found soft...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #25

Commercial Member

I always run extensions BUT there are a few things people do not think about.

1. The interior of the hose is rubber. It ages just like tires do and the extensions should be replaced when you replace tires.

2. The outer end needs to be BOLTED down. Rubber gromits are not sufficient. They are cheap and easy to use but are not sufficient.

Here is how I have my hoses attached.
I used the 90° angle pieces that come in the kit and pop rivit them to the hub cap or whr wheel simulators.

Tags
valve