Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #1

Dumb question...

Hey all,

Long time lurker here. Just purchased an 05' Coachman Cross Country and it has solar panels. About to winterize but was unsure about what to do with the house batteries. Normally, I would've disconnected but since they are connected to solar panels, do I leave them connected for the winter while being stored outside?

Thanks in advance!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Batteries

Hello I guess it depends on how cold and for how long and how much snow.I had solar panels on my 5th wheel and I removed my batteries for the winter. I do live up in Northern Alberta so my 5thwheel and now Coach with solar panels also I still remove mine if the panels are covered with snow for a long period of time no charge will be going to the batteries, and I am not going up on a slippery roof to brush them panels off and your batteries will freeze. A full charged battery will not freeze. For me I have 6 deep cycle 6v house batteries and 2 12 v starting batteries I am not taking a chance of losing my batteries to the cold. Hope this helps you.

BTW there is no such thing as a dumb question if you don't know just ask someone here is willing to help.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #3

Thanks diesel guy for the quick response. I live in Denver, CO so it definitely snows. And while we see a bit of accumulation throughout the season, we also get a lot of sunshine so I wouldn't think that the panels would be covered for a long period of time. I believe we have 4 6V house batteries and 2 12V starting batteries. If its to be on the cautious side, I suppose I can remove them, just one less thing to do or another words, being lazy ;
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

If you have solar in at least the 100 watt range, let them do their job. If by solar panels you spoke of and they are the dinky solar maintainers type, I'd remove the batts for the winter.

Ed
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #5

A healthy, fully charged, battery won't have a problem surviving the winter disconnected. A weak battery will probably freeze.

Found that out in Fairbanks, Alaska. Over wintered 3 times, got down to below -55F for weeks at a time. All I did was disconnect the batteries. They were fine each spring.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #6

Agree with Ed, leave them under the charge from your solar panel. I have the 100w solar panel and it keeps all 6 batteries charged 100% throuh out the year. I live in the northeast with temps going into the single digits. You can't cover over the unit. I do not get up on top to brush off winter snow. It melts eventually. I get normal life of 6 year out of the batteries.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

One thing to check is that most of the loads are switched off or isolated so you can be sure the input from the panels is larger than any connected loads.

Don't forget the engine battery as there may be no charging from the solar and there are phantom loads on it. Install a triklestart or similar to take care of the starting batteries.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Why not upgrade your converter to a modern three stage unit. I did that for my Travel Trailer and it works great. No Battery problems and it remains plugged in 24/7/365, same with the motor home. In my Motor Home the Inverter has a smart three stage charger built in and again no problems. The Motor Home batteries are three years old and I have not added any water since I installed them. Travel trailer batteries are filled only once a year. A good smart charger properly set up will do wonders for battery life.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice Ed, I'll have to check how many watts they are pushing out.

Sundancer, the previous owner (father in law) just installed a new inverter but I'm not sure if its a 3 stage unit? How would I identify what type I have?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Just find out the model number and brand and then check the manufactures web site. The Progressive Dynamics I put in the Travel Trailer was a dumb converter until I added the optional Charge Wizard which was the brains behind the intelligent three stage charger. I also added the remote indicator and control to the unit. I am very happy with the results. Try this company BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics they were very helpful in their information even before I bought my converter from them. I had checked the web for the best prices and found they were not the lowest in price, but were only a few dollars more expensive, so for the information provided I purchased from them. I am sure there are other great companys to deal with and probably just as helpful. Good luck and happy travels. Ed